The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Lube Dual-Action Truss Rod??

I usually spin off the truss rod nut and put a spot of lube on the rod's threads to keep things free for the future. Can't do that with today's new-fangled dual-action truss rods (that I don't want/need and didn't ask for), so what's a maintenance freak to do (besides "leave it alone and play")?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Leave it alone and play it.

Lubrication is not needed for the threaded area of truss rods unless they get exposed to water and start to rust.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 AM

If you're talking about lubricating prior to installing one you can re-position the block, exposing the rod threads in the process, by holding one block in a vise and rotating both rods at the same time with your fingers while holding the other block with your other hand. This also changes the distance between the blocks, but just return them to their original position.

You may not want or need the double action rod, but many have found them to be quite useful when presented with a guitar with back bow of the neck. It's more frequent than what you'd think, and if it was rare then the double action rod would not have been so widely accepted by builders.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Leave it alone and play it.

Lubrication is not needed for the threaded area of truss rods unless they get exposed to water and start to rust.

Steve
Thanks Steve - I was trying to head off those stories you read "I went to adjust the truss rod which was frozen (corrosion) because it'd never been off . . . and it snapped". I don't do much adjusting, but wanted to make it right while in my care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you're talking about lubricating prior to installing one you can re-position the block, exposing the rod threads in the process, by holding one block in a vise and rotating both rods at the same time with your fingers while holding the other block with your other hand. This also changes the distance between the blocks, but just return them to their original position.

You may not want or need the double action rod, but many have found them to be quite useful when presented with a guitar with back bow of the neck. It's more frequent than what you'd think, and if it was rare then the double action rod would not have been so widely accepted by builders.
I'm definitely talking "post-construction" lubing, but thanks for that info. I've not run into a back-bow neck yet (at least not one that I didn't create by overtightening the truss rod), but I see the utility. Just not crazy about not being able to lube it to keep corrosion at bay, and to repair it easily if the top does pop off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair