The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender Hot Rod Deluxe- should I???

I have a chance to buy a virtually new Hot Rod Deluxe IV for $300. Worth it?
Old 12-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Yes. That's around 1/2 price.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Sounds like it. They can get crazy loud and take pedals well. The input jacks often fail. They're soldered to the circuit boards and lots of plugging and unplugging cause issues eventually. Poor design IMO. Decent sounding amp though and the price seems good. Play it first if you can.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:40 PM

That's a great price. There are different versions (I, II, III) so you may want to find out what those differences are and whether it's important to you. If you hear the amp and you like it then it's irrelevant.

Great price for the amp.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's a great price. There are different versions (I, II, III) so you may want to find out what those differences are and whether it's important to you. If you hear the amp and you like it then it's irrelevant.

Great price for the amp.
It's a IV.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
It's a IV.
Pardon my skepticism, but TMK that amp probably isn't any more than a year or so old - why is he selling so soon/so cheap...?
Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM

I used to own one of those amps and I absolutely loved it. I sold it in 2005 only because I was moving far away from home and needed any extra cash I could get. At that price it would be a steal for that amp.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It's supposed to be Fender's best seller ever.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-30-2018, 01:22 AM

They provided me with one for back line tonight. Pilot light didn't work, but it sounded decent. Nice punchy cleans and took my BJFe Honey Bee and Timmy well.

We did a Funk Vs. Reggae gig with a killer horn section and it held up nicely. That's a great price as long as the amp doesn't have any issues. Ask a lot of questions and try it out.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:27 AM

I had a chance to buy one at that price and regret not doing it. It may need tubes at that price. Even so, it's a great deal. And if you end up not liking it, you could flip it and make a few bucks.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:31 PM

very good price.

it could be way too loud for home use but great for gigs.

drive channel in the ones i've played thru wasn't very good but the normal channel with a pedal should be great.

repair people will tell you that they are difficult to work on due to the board. i've worked on two that had the input jack come away from the board due to the cable being constantly plugged in and pulled out.

top selling amp for fender.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

That is indeed a good price. I think the cabinet on the IV is some sort of birch ply instead MDF or whatever on the previous models. I believe they also fixed the volume pot taper, so it no longer goes from 1 to LOUD.

One thing to think about might be your intended use of the amp. 40 tube watts is pretty darn loud. Is this going to be a home amp, jam with buddies, or gigs? Or maybe all the above. I think its nice to be able to turn ones amp up a bit, and depending where you are playing 40 watts may be to much for that. Or you could use the master volume or an attenuator at home and crank it a bit more if playing out.

Just a thought, I had a Blues Deluxe for a bit which is also 40 watts and found it to much for my most at home playing. Plus the volume knob also went from Off to Loud very quickly. But that your price you could most likely resell it for a profit if you don't bond with it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 PM

I think lots of people buy large amps out of "fantasy" imaging. They see them selves on stage playing to 5K people. Then, if you are not playing out in working gigs all the time reality sets in. You cant turn it up to where you get your tone and if you do you irritate housemates, neighbors, or if apt dweller all around you. So out it goes. I see Craigs list with tons (no pun here) of large amps all the time. Hardly ever any 1-5 watt models. Ever wonder why??
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM

I have an older one, and have had it for more than 15 years. The folks who talk about loud are right, and yes the volume taper is weird on at least the earlier models, but you can just be very careful with it, and if your candidate is a IV it may be better now.

Very nice Fender style clean though. The gain and more gain channel gets dissed a lot, but I found the gain channel worked well with my Telecaster and my desires/needs when I needed some lead guitar grit and tired of pedal boards--but even if you never use anything but the clean channel it's worth what they charge for them (and at the price you're looking at....)

Not a bedroom amp. Not an amp for apartment dwellers with thin walls, but in a band context it works great, even if you have to be careful moving the volume knob between about .5 and 1.5

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
drive channel in the ones i've played thru wasn't very good but the normal channel with a pedal should be great.
I forgot to mention that. The drive channel is terrible imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post

repair people will tell you that they are difficult to work on due to the board. i've worked on two that had the input jack come away from the board due to the cable being constantly plugged in and pulled out.
Very true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars