The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

While the finish has been curing on the Ditson I have been pushing hard on the 2 guitars behind this one. All 3 had their rims and rosettes prepped together but the Ditson got priority in terms of completion. A CLM and a CL are right behind-

I closed the box on the Swiss/Amazon RW CLM this week and sanded everything flush. While working on the plates I had also prepped a test panel of an offcut from the board the Amazon set was cut from. The goal here is twofold- to begin experimenting with oil varnish in the hopes of being able to offer it as a standard finish, and to make sure it will dry on this specific rosewood-

And in that vein, so far so good. The application proved to be straight forward enough. It both dried and sanded well. It isn't as hard as I'd like yet but it still has 2 weeks before I would expect it to be ready to buff so I am hoping it continues curing. The color and depth of the finish is incredible, as expected. I will be so happy to be able to offer this as an option if this test continues as successfully as it has gone so far.

This CLM will get a bevel cutaway and likely the full treatment with a brass backplate as well. I have some materials coming in to do tests for that and will post details as it moves forward.

It is headed to Mike Joyce at Luthiers Collection and appears to already be spoken for, which is wonderful. There will be another headed out that way mid next year too.

Amazon-CLM-and-panel-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

varnish-test-panel-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 01-18-2019, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

And lastly, I am beginning a short run of truss rods for my guitars. I've posted about these before but they are more or less a standard 2 way rod but with slightly different materials with the goal of reducing the weight. I've been able to cut the rods that allied used to sell (The Blanchard design) in half and maintain their ability to move the neck. The trickiest part for me has been the threading of the titanium rods. The way I would do it for most other metals is problematic with the finicky titanium and I don't have the true industrial tooling a larger shop would. I did have 90% of an old style solution, though, and being me that was what I chose to pursue.

Once finished it worked great, and quickly. An 80 year old production method back in use for a modern material. I pretty much love everything about that

Here is a shot of the cutting arm at rest on my lathe and then a shot of the finished ends. The rest of the rods will be done shortly and will be in these upcoming CL and CLM guitars.

chase-screwcutting-whole-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

titanium-threaded-ends-WEB by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Facebook
Instagram
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Thanks Burton, looks like a lot of work has been done! The Maple looks exceptional. Glad you posted.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:20 AM
In flagrante ex-officio

That varnish looks permanently wet! Loooooooooove it!
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

On Deck: 2019 Brondel A2c, 2019 Circa OM-18/21, 2020 LeGeyt CLM

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

This thread was heavy on the tools at the beginning and I have a tool update to share here- I've been slowly working on a bandsaw for close to 10 years and I finally have moved it into my shop and been using it. It is from the late 20's/30's and I did as much of a rebuild as I could- New bearings, manually flattened table, resetting all the surfaces and making new parts to improve performance. It was a labor of love and I absolutely do love it

Here are some photos pre-installing in the shop:

bandsawweb-1whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

bandsawweb-2wright-guides by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

bandsawweb-3top-wheel by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

crescentweb-badge by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

This thing will last longer than me! And i'm expecting a lifetime of happy use. Feels good.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

And, more importantly, the little maple Ditson is finished. I've had it strung up here and there for a week or so and took pictures last night. Specs on it are:

Concert Ditson inspired body shape (my model PR), 13+" lower bout
Lutz spruce soundboard
Birdseye maple back and sides
spanish cedar neck
Blackwood fingerboard and bridge
25 5/8 scale
french polish finish
Custom Rubner tuning machines
EVO frets
non adjustable CF neck support

I wasn't fully sure what to expect- This was mostly a new shape for me and I haven't made a maple guitar in quite a while. Couldn't be happier, though, with the sound. I'm hearing a real Dread quality in the low notes, especially how they anchor chords and I like it a lot. No surprise maybe, as the larger Ditson shape inspired the Martin Dread. While the low end is a little Dread like there isn't the scooped EQ and lead runs are much more present than they otherwise might be. There is also a slight dryness I am attributing to the Maple that works well too. Chords aren't overly complicated and the runs are nice and smooth. I'm loving playing it. It is also really loud- I loosened up the top a bit and the whole thing is lightweight, it doesn't break 3 1/4 pounds strung up.

Overall I am very happy with it. Hoping it will be as loved where it is headed I kind of expect it will.....

Here are the finished photos:

PR01WEB-front-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-back-3-4-close2 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-neck-joint-detail by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-Headstock-face by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-rosette-detail by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-bridge-side by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

PR01WEB-end-graft by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Thanks for following along

Facebook
Instagram
Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Looks like a beautiful piece of equipment!

It's great to see a workhorse like that get restored and put back into service...
Dana--1999 Bourgeois OM (Sitka/EIR)
Nemo--2009 Taylor Custom GS (Sinker/Macassar) GONE, but still in the family
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Looks great, what a unique shape! Would love to play it someday! The bandsaw is a 10 of 10 on the cool scale also. That is just a fantastic restoration.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up

Amazing work, as always.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

You, sir, are a genius.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments very much.

I love old tools- I think of my guitar/shop work most of the time as toolmaking and I appreciate many of the older tools that were obviously designed, at least somewhat, to be aesthetically pleasing. Newer stuff.... not so much. I'd much prefer to be surrounded by machines that I think are beautiful, just as I try to make my guitars beautiful.

Function first, of course, and not everything needs to be ostentatious, or even decorated. But when something has had some aesthetic thought put into it I certainly appreciate it.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks great, what a unique shape! Would love to play it someday! The bandsaw is a 10 of 10 on the cool scale also. That is just a fantastic restoration.
Tom, I harbored some hopes of having a way to bring it to the BIG but life squished my Texas dreams For this year at least. Here's hoping for next year though!

Facebook
Instagram
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 PM

That is a beautiful bandsaw you've restored. There was a large Crescent at the boatyard where I once worked, and it could've used this kind of TLC.

Beautiful small guitar you've made; I like the little ones!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:33 AM

That looks mighty inviting ! Congratulations on doing it again, Burton.
Che Guerilla
2012 Baranik 00m, Carpathian Spruce/Higuerilla
Tuxedo Bolo Blue
2011 Baranik Meridian, Colorado Blue Spruce/Black Cocobolo
Stealth Bomb
2015 Blackbird Rider Steel, 100% carbon fiber
Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Tom, I harbored some hopes of having a way to bring it to the BIG but life squished my Texas dreams For this year at least. Here's hoping for next year though!
Oh shoot, I was still holding out hope. There are several of your peeps coming and I know they were hoping you could make it as was I. I still remember playing Matthews at Woodstock and being blown away.

If there is a next year, I would love to invite you to display and sell...maybe put that back in the corner of your mind for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop