The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

That is drop dead gorgeous, Burton!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:40 PM

Amazing work Burton! Hope to bump into you at Woodstock!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Burton, you are a master! Gorgeous as always. Too bad all that attention to the interior gets closed up.

Ken
Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Burton,

Stunning as always - looking forward to seeing you next weekend.
I missed the little followup conversation on tools until now.
Yes, my K-C spindle sander was inspired by Ken's - as was my Hammond Glider, milling machine, metal lathe...the list goes on.
Once you get to using those machines at all, it's really tough to work without them. I don't even make lathe parts for my guitars (except the odd endpin), but somehow it gets turned on at least 5 times a week.
I saw a KC spindle sander with all the gear (spindles and plates) on Craigslist in Boston last year for $1500. As a reference point - mine is from 1979, and IIRC it sold new at the time for about $20k. So yes, quite agreed - it's engineered WAY past what most of us "should" be able/allowed to work with. Lucky us.
(Point of serious geek interest: mine is the only one I've ever seen with a hard-chrome plated table surface instead of the regular cast iron. It may have been for a marine application originally...most larger Navy vessels have onboard machine shops. Not 100% on the history of this one, except that I'm pretty sure it was in a Boeing plant at one point.)

Ahh...this is why I like the guitar shows so much! Where else can I find people who care at all (let alone as much) as I do about these goofy old cast-iron dinosaurs? Looking forward to more of this next weekend, amidst the great guitars and fine company.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I love the tool talk in this thread, not to down play Burton’s exquisite taste in appointments and execution. My big tools, while entirely up to the job, are run of the mill stuff like a 1961 Delta 20” bandsaw or a Powermatic 66 tablesaw. A good craftsman definitely does not blame the tools, but it would be great to be able to rationalize the tools Burton is working with.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:51 AM

Some really nice work here and that Rose engine is fantastic.

I love the way a hint of decorative metalwork can enhance the beauty of a guitar. Will be interesting to see what you come up with in the future.

YouTube
Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Thanks Juston!!

I will be there and am excited to see everyone who will be both visiting and exhibiting.

My CL will be there with Mike D. It was at my table last year but I added a few things before sending it off, the backplate being the most obvious- I took some nice pics before it left-
Yes it will. She’s been restrung and is already polished & packed! That fish scale backplate still mesmerized me. See you on Saturday.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

Jealous! Have fun you guys.
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

On Deck: 2019 Brondel A2c, 2019 Circa OM-18/21, 2020 LeGeyt CLM

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

See ya there Burton...
Old 10-24-2018, 09:27 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

What's the lightest metal you could etch, titanium?
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks everybody! I appreciate it.

Very much looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. Its always a highlight of the year. Get to see players, builders, friends from all over, play world class guitars one after the other. What's not to love? And- the drive out from Boston is pretty magical. I usually come through NW Connecticut/Berkshires (where I grew up) and its mostly all back roads. Perfect time of year for that drive.

Matthew- I think aluminum would be the lightest. Titanium is light but mostly in relation to steel. Al is about as low as you can go. I've thought about testing it out but the brass color is usually so nice. Room to work, I'll start brainstorming.

I've been working early mornings in my shop these past weeks and have some stuff finished- Both of these parts went out to patient customers this week-

First a set of Fossil Walrus Ivory buttons installed on some gold Waverly machines. Also 2 sets of pins to match. These came from a good sized chunk and it was near perfect inside. Very consistent grain and color, which is not always easy to find. Many times the blank is very rough on the outside and you can't be sure whats under the roughness.

FWI buttons and pins by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

These are the second half of a run of vintage shaped bone pins with a 4mm inlay. I cut all the dots from slabs to try to match the color in each set as best as possible. It can be tricky, especially if you smooth in the dot to match the curve of the pin. the color can change very quickly but these stayed pretty close. My fingernails are super shiny from polishing the heads on these close to the wheel

vintage pins by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

And I have the Ditson fully ready for finish. lots of detail work to get it here. The tuners needed to be dismantled and remachined to shorten the posts, in both directions (!), to fit my slots. Also needed precision Delrin bushings to fit both sides of the slots. Its ready now, though, and the first quick color coats went on right after these pictures were taken. You can see my shellac test panel laying next to the guitar in one of the pictures. Some nice golden/brown tones in store for the finished instrument. With the black neck and gold fleck highlights in the resin I think it is going to look great.

Also made a pseudo pyramid bridge that looks pretty good on the body. Spent quite a bit of time on Robert Corwins amazing www.earlymartin.com site tracing the transitions between early to later pyramids. used a few details from the earlier ones to shape the transitions on mine. Not a perfect replica of any one but I'm happy with it.

Was hoping to have this one with me this weekend for Woodstock but it wasn't to be. I'm a little bummed about it but some things shouldn't be rushed.

Ditson front close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson back with color test by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson back headstock by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson bridge detail by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson rosette by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Ditson weight by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

That Ditson is off the charts cool. The detail work is gorgeous and original. And the pseudo pyramid looks great. I can't help but be a little disappointed, however, that you didn't make your own fret wire from EVO gold ore. You're losing your touch, Burton.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

Burton probably isn't allowed to mention it but there is a killer CLM for sale on b&s right now.
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

You're shelaccing the ditson!?!?.Super cool! I am hooked on seeing that maple under finish!!!
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi everybody,

I had the good luck to have some visitors to the shop post Woodstock- Lars Rasmussen and Dan Krugman (DDK guitars) stopped by on their way(s) home and we had a great time talking shop, eating some good food, and recognizing that we should probably be hanging out all the time

Both of these guys do amazing work. Lars delivered a mahogany guitar at the show that was amazing, I saw many people playing it and just completely absorbed in what it was giving them. A great great guitar.

Dan is in deep absorb mode working in Ken Parkers shop. Can't wait to see what he is making when he fully emerges.

shop visitors by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

What would a luthier visit be without some some good old wood ogling? I dug deep into the pile and pulled out this grouping of boards I have been sitting on for 10 years or so. Perfect Cocobolo- Deep color, perfectly quartersawn and silky, spiderwebbed, and a mild beeswing too. These will make true master grade sets (if you can consider a 4 pc back master grade). Excited to make some beautiful guitars with this- someday.

Coco1.2 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco3 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco5 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Coco2 stack by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop