The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Hey Burton,

Thanks for starting the thread on your recent work. I always love to see what you are up to. This quote (below) is very true of much of what I have been doing too. Actually later today or tomorrow I have to set up for a big brace run.
It must be in the air around here! Sure felt good to have all that busy work done for a while

I'm hoping to have a meeting at my place sometime soon-ish. If I do I hope you can come, I have so much stuff I'd love to show you.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
It must be in the air around here! Sure felt good to have all that busy work done for a while

I'm hoping to have a meeting at my place sometime soon-ish. If I do I hope you can come, I have so much stuff I'd love to show you.
Great, you'll enjoy this....

Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
First up is an experiment of sorts. Considering how much fun I had working on Matthew Partricks renaissance guitar last year I couldn't resist another retro style instrument on the bench- This one is heavily styled on the concert sized Ditson and is being built in Birdseye maple and Lutz spruce.

It took me a while to feel right about the shape. Surprisingly long, really. usually I can draw something and only need to modify it a few times. This one took weeks of staring and tweaking. Once I had it, though, it felt right and it still does. I'm very curious to hear what it will sound like- How it will look too, it will be french polished with some color. I think the maple is going to look great.
Burton,
I have built 3 Concert size Ditson's... And I agree about the shape. It looks kinda funky to our modern eyes. My research turned up many old Austrian guitars which had a nearly identical plantilla - so it is a "historical" pattern....

The hard part for me is that I really like the way they sound, but their body shape... Well not so much....

As a result - I will have to sort out sime tweaks to the body shape before I build any more.... But I can't justify getting rid of my patterns and forms because I just like the way it sounds.... Sigh....

I am very interested in what you will come up with for the tweaks to the shape.

I expect the new owner will fall in love with the tone.. And so will you.... But it's just not voluptuous...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Love the new starts. Gonna be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Yup, the shop is mess this morning after making braces yesterday. I plan to do one more run today, then on to so more of the fun stuff. Like rosettes, speaking of which, yours are awesome.

Hope to get down your way soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

TruckJohn,

Yeah, it is a different shape. The lack of "pinching" in the waist gives it a completely different look. All my attempts to draw it out from pictures had me revert to more modern shapes and it just didn't look right. Where the waist falls, and how exactly it transitions into the bouts was more finicky than I expected. Having said that I think I have come around. Although maybe I have just come to appreciate the mojo the older ones have, especially with the shaded tops. For anyone wondering what we are talking about here is the page fro Robert Corwin's great site:

http://www.vintagemartin.com/MartinDitson.html

I saw another on the UMGF site, I think it was made by David LaPlante? It was nice too. And with pearl! I usually don't like guitars with pearl but that one was great.

I certainly hope I like the sound as much as you like yours. I usually like my small guitars no matter what so we'll see.

I drew one out with a cutaway and I've been staring at that one hung on the wall while I build this one. Hoping I can find time to make it in the near future.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 PM
In flagrante ex-officio

Eagerly following along!
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

On Deck: 2019 Brondel A2c, 2019 Circa OM-18/21, 2020 LeGeyt CLM

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Eagerly following along!
Me too. These are beautiful!!!

Very Nice stuff

May your herds continue to increase!

Paul

J Kinnaird Round Peak 12c Cedar/Maple MWedge bevels port K&K
JK RP12c Cedar/Hog bevels port K&K
JK RP12c BCEuro/HRW. bevels, port, K&K
RT2 12c Sinker/Claro/Koa bevel ES1.3
94 LKSM 12
98 W14c
96 412ce
Coming: new JK Custom (even bigger!)

FOR SALE: Ohana all Solid hog Weissenborn $450
FOR SALE: Taylor 98 W-14c. NM+ NOW $2950!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Love that Ditson .... been on my radar since I saw a repro done by Bill Cumpiano. Well done!!

Here's what Bill did based on plans he obtained from CFM .. hope you don't mind the share ...

Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not at all! Love to see more of them. The curl on that set is INTENSE. Looks great

I found a picture of David LaPlante's 45 style Ditson-

LaPlante Ditson by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Shouldn't look this good (by my biases) but I sure dig it. Great toned color on the top too.

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-17-2018, 06:51 AM
In flagrante ex-officio

I'm most interested in seeing a rose engine rosette. Wonder if you could fill the recesses with colored epoxy, maybe a black with a few silver sparkles in it. Maybe a little over the top for your aesthetics, but I bet it would look cool!
2014 Baranik PX
2015 Baranik Meridian
2015 Giacomel Saturno
2017 LeGeyt Parlour

On Deck: 2019 Brondel A2c, 2019 Circa OM-18/21, 2020 LeGeyt CLM

The Clueless Audiophile demystifying the two channel hi fi audio market for the clueless among us
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm most interested in seeing a rose engine rosette. Wonder if you could fill the recesses with colored epoxy, maybe a black with a few silver sparkles in it. Maybe a little over the top for your aesthetics, but I bet it would look cool!
When I finally get one up and running I'm sure there will be all sorts of experimenting

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

I had a guitar I finished a few years ago back in the shop for an end pin and strap button install. It was great to see it again and to hear it all opened up. This one really is transparent, the response is immediate and clear. What fun to play.

This guitar was a little unorthodox for me, much more "modern" in style than I usually gravitate towards. The customer needed the bevels for ergonomic reasons and the more vintage stylings didn't seem quite right with them added. I did reach out and get the blessing of Kevin Ryan for the arm bevel.

The rosette is from Bruce and Matt Petros and their Purflex offerings. Amazing stuff! Not sure I would have been up for crafting that rosette myself. I did draw the headstock based on a few of the knot styles in the rosette and some clip art the customer approved. I hadn't done any work like that for years. It was slow, but satisfying adapting the rose into the linework. Andy Birko cut the channels and the late great Craig Sullivan digitized the drawing for me. RIP my friend.

Swiss spruce over Cuban Mahogany. What a combo

WEB-arm-bevel by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-CLM-front by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-rib-bevel by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-strap-button by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-headstock by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB-rosette by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

And for all you tool nuts out there- I wish this was in my guitar shop but we just got this delivered to our school shop.

New in 1975, completely rebuilt over the last few months by Eagle Machinery in Michigan. An Oliver 217-D 30" bandsaw in like new condition.

DROOOOOOLLLLL.

Can't wait to put it through the paces.

WEB-Oliver-saw by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Hey Burton, love your work and seeing all that goes into your craft. And of course, I enjoy playing them even more! I should have your Braz/Adi on Thursday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop