The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Detailed product review: G7th Performance 3 capo

(Disclaimer: I am in no way associated or affiliated with G7th. I have several of their capos and Nick asked me (and others) to test drive a P3 prototype out "in the real world." After I gave my feedback (and I presume other testers did the same) Nick made changes then sent me a final version to make sure it was OK but asked to keep it quiet until he had a chance to announce it. I've been playing with mine since then and feel privileged to get an early model. That however in no way biases my review nor taints my evaluation and as with all my product reviews I tried to remain thoroughly objective and factual).

For those that remember it, G7th launched a terrific new capo design called the Performance capo a few years back. It's innovation was a wonderful mechanism that allowed for one hand clamping and unclamping with variable clamping force - you just squeeze as much as you want.

This innovation solved two things:

1) it made operating it very easy and
2) it allowed you to squeeze just until you had no buzzing, reducing the tendency to pull strings sharp by over squeezing.

I had one of these and loved it and it really did work.

G7th redesigned the Performance capo and released the Performance2 model. This one changed the one-hand mechanism by adding a small release lever and it was significantly smaller and sleeker.

I have one of these and love it and it really does work.

Then Nick made an adjustable radius system for G7th's heritage line of capos. These are their top-of-the-line yoke-style capos. Super lightweight and it looks like jewelry. The innovation here was the Adjustable Radius Technology (A.R.T.) system which, ever-so-slightly, lets the pad curve a little to match different fretboard radii.

I have one of these, love it and it really does work (notice a pattern here?).

At Namm 2019, Nick, Simon and G7th launched the third generation Performance3 capo, which marries the mechanism of it's predecessor with the A.R.T. design from the Heritage.

(because of the old Photobucket posting issue, I will post pics embedded at the end and with replies)

To test/demonstrate the A.R.T function I lightly clamped it on a tiny bottle. Obviously this is not in the fretboard radius range of anything - it just shows how the mechanism truly does change when encountering a different radius.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1187 (Custom).jpg (18.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1188 (Custom).jpg (17.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1160 (Custom).jpg (21.3 KB, 267 views)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 01-23-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Default continued

The new G7th Performance3 capo immediately feels heftier and beefier than the P2. It is a little wider than the P2, shown side-by-side in the picture. It also dispenses of the rubber grip on the top but adds the A.R.T. logo on the side. The pad is visibly different, because it has a mechanism underneath it.

I measured the weight of my of G7th capos at:

performance capo 2 - 52g
performance capo 3 - 63g
newport 12 string - 46g
heritage - 33g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1151 (Custom).jpg (37.1 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1156 (Custom).jpg (20.3 KB, 269 views)

Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Default continued

operating the capo is just like before with a finger squeeze on and off.

The A.R.T. is a complex little kinematic mechanism and Nick, and team, made it user replaceable with a snap on/off pad system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1201 (Custom).jpg (26.4 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1202 (Custom).jpg (27.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1167 (Custom).jpg (8.6 KB, 267 views)

Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Default continued

Nick asked me to help him with a prototype test and he took feedback from testers to fine tune the mechanism.

I've been testing this one pre-launch so I would have sufficient time to really try it out.

The version launched at NAMM 2019 is the same one reviewed herein.

I found mine super easy to use, especially since I was familiar with the P2 operation it was very familiar. It was a bit bigger than the P2 but I understand it had to be - you need some room for the mechanism that makes the A.R.T. magic happen.

On the guitars I tried it on I found it to go on and off and adapt instantly. I was able to move it guitar-to-guitar and then up-and-down the neck without any issue. If I was too wimpy and didn't squeeze enough, I could reach over and give it a tiny squeeze - I even did that in the middle of a song with missing a beat. It was that easy and that was to correct for my own mistake.

But the capo did what it claims to do: it adapts to varying radius fretboards.

It is the perfect marriage of the Performance2 mechanism and the Heritage Adaptive Radius Technology.

So, guess what?

I now have one of these and love it and it really does work.

My heritage remains my favorite capo of all time - it has the A.R.T. system in it but is so small and sleek and, like I said, looks like jewelry.

The Performance3 is noticeably bigger than the Performance2 but if I went from guitar-to-guitar, or wanted only one capo, this would be the capo of choice for me.

Last edited by fazool; 01-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Excellent review, I have one on order.

Actually NAMM 2019 starts this coming Thursday so it’s not yet officially launched ( I presume).

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Excellent review, I have one on order.

Actually NAMM 2019 starts this coming Thursday so it’s not yet officially launched ( I presume).

Correct, they launched it via their website so it's not a secret anymore - Nick said it was OK to disclose it, but they will have an official announcement etc at NAMM, I guess.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
operating the capo is just like before with a finger squeeze on and off.

The A.R.T. is a complex little kinematic mechanism and Nick, and team, made it user replaceable with a snap on/off pad system.
Sounds cool. I just got the Heritage stirrup style capo with the A.R.T., and it's brilliant. I can't imagine anything being better, but this certainly does sound cool.

Last edited by The Kid!; 01-23-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

A great review - thanks Fazool!

I love G7th capos, and have been using them exclusively since the Performance Capo version 1. Nick and the team produce outstanding, innovative products, and it looks like they're bang on form with the P3! My order is placed

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

For sure a great review - I’m looking forward to being able to order one of these...

BUT, you misnamed the thread the HERITAGE 3 rather than the PERFORMANCE 3 so it kind of threw me off...
Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 AM

I already have a P2 which works very well and has no post-clamping tuning issues, so I don't think I'll be buying a P3. Interesting design though.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I already have a P2 which works very well and has no post-clamping tuning issues, so I don't think I'll be buying a P3. Interesting design though.
Well strangely, my P2 does knock the E off, and the B too, even if I take the utmost care not to 'over-squeeze' it! But I've recently bought a Newport, which operates very much like a Shubb, and it doesn't cause tuning problems at all.

I do like to give G7th my custom because they're British, and I like to 'Buy British' wherever possible, so I think I might give a P3 a go, although at forty quid, it's a tad expensive - I might have to sell a few of my other capos to fund it!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Well strangely, my P2 does knock the E off, and the B too, even if I take the utmost care not to 'over-squeeze' it! But I've recently bought a Newport, which operates very much like a Shubb, and it doesn't cause tuning problems at all.

I do like to give G7th my custom because they're British, and I like to 'Buy British' wherever possible, so I think I might give a P3 a go, although at forty quid, it's a tad expensive - I might have to sell a few of my other capos to fund it!
*he said, hinting broadly*
Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
*he said, hinting broadly*
ROTFLMAO!

Actually, I wasn't hinting at all! Apologies if I gave that impression - definitely not my intention!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
For sure a great review - I’m looking forward to being able to order one of these...

BUT, you misnamed the thread the HERITAGE 3 rather than the PERFORMANCE 3 so it kind of threw me off...
Oops sorry

Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review Fazool. Well done and good pictures. I'm looking forward to trying one out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion