The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Those are the parts of the NFL game that irritate me the most because they should have been addressed in practice - A) Lining up in the neutral zone B) 12 men on the field C) Illegal formation D) Delay of game E) Taunting F) Late hits out of bounds G) False start

These are all coaching issues that reflect on the coaching staff. I get it when there is encroachment, I get it when a player holds or interferes because the consequences of failing to execute your job properly are potentially worse than the ensuing penalty.

I also do not understand why a horse-collar tackle is illegal but taking a ball carrier down by his hair is perfectly legal.

As far as the Super Bowl, I want the Rams to win but believe the NE past experiences will serve them well. That point was driven home when the announcers at the Saints game declared that Sean McVay didn't think the crowd noise would be a problem, but it was. Witness Jared Goff frantically trying to get his helmet radios repaired - but it wasn't an equipment failure issue.

On the other hand, the announcers discussed how prepared the Patriots were for the anticipated din at Arrowhead, and had designed shouts and signals that could be communicated over the racket.

Rams had a horrible first quarter and were very lucky not to be down 21-0. Pats a great first half because they had prepared appropriately.

K
A horse collar tackle has more leverage to the lower body than tackling by the hair. Tackling by the hair, whips the player around while horse collar drives them into the ground.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
How did it cost the Chiefs the game though? It was second and 7. It wasn't third and 10+...

KC had plenty of calls that weren't called as well.
I'm with Rob. I think the roughing the passing call against Brady was a terrible call but it didn't cost the Chiefs the game. The Pats would have had 3rd down and they had a great 3rd down conversion rate this game.

The Chiefs didn't lose on the OT coin flip or that penalty, they lost the game in the first half when they only had 32 yards of offense. That's an impossible number but the credit that Pats for eating the clock with long drives and getting to Mahomes in that first half.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Those are the parts of the NFL game that irritate me the most because they should have been addressed in practice - A) Lining up in the neutral zone B) 12 men on the field C) Illegal formation D) Delay of game E) Taunting F) Late hits out of bounds G) False start

These are all coaching issues that reflect on the coaching staff. I get it when there is encroachment, I get it when a player holds or interferes because the consequences of failing to execute your job properly are potentially worse than the ensuing penalty.

I also do not understand why a horse-collar tackle is illegal but taking a ball carrier down by his hair is perfectly legal.

K
Football is a game of high emotion. If you haven't played it, you wouldn't understand that some of these mistakes are born out of emotion. That will always be the case. It is also more complicated than it looks on TV.
These are human beings, mostly very young men. Our expectations on them are way too high sometimes.

As far as the hair thing, the NFL basically is saying you are free to have your long hair, but you are also subject to the potential dangers of having it - your choice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
The AFC game didn't necessarily turn on the questionable calls, although there were a few. But it turned on the most boneheaded minor mistake imaginable, when the Chiefs D-lineman lined up with his hand in the neutral zone. That few inches of advantage didn't have anything to do with how the play turned out, but the refs actually got that one right and called him on it. The result of the play was Brady throwing an interception through Gronk's hands. If it stands, game over, the Cheifs win. They can run out the clock in regulation. But it doesn't, the Pats complete the drive for a TD, and then amazingly with 39 seconds left KC gets back to field goal range to force OT. But NONE of that would have happened if the KC lineman just lined up with his hand a few inches back on his side of the line.

When that happened, I just figured the Pats were destined to win. And that was confirmed when they won the OT coin toss. The OT is ridiculous - the MVP of the league didn't even get a chance to get in the game. The other team should get a shot to tie in the case of a TD just like they get a chance to tie or win in the case of a field goal. Oh well. Everyone knew the rules, but it still irks me that the coin toss makes THAT much difference...

-Ray

Those rules is what keeps OT at an average of two drives. I understand that someone like Mahomes should get a chance to get the ball, but that’s the job of the defense during OT.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM

I just read that someone was pointing a green laser at Tom Brady’s face during the game.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I just read that someone was pointing a green laser at Tom Brady’s face during the game.
I read that too. The NFL is investigating. Not sure they'll find anything.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I read that too. The NFL is investigating. Not sure they'll find anything.

It didn’t happen at Gillette Stadium by a Pats fan to Mahomes...no biggie.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
It didn’t happen at Gillette Stadium by a Pats fan to Mahomes...no biggie.
That would have been brutal if it happened at Gillette against any opponent. I'm guessing it would have been front page ESPN news.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That would have been brutal if it happened at Gillette against any opponent. I'm guessing it would have been front page ESPN news.

Goodell would be calling for hearings and tie Brady to it.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
The AFC game didn't necessarily turn on the questionable calls, although there were a few. But it turned on the most boneheaded minor mistake imaginable, when the Chiefs D-lineman lined up with his hand in the neutral zone. That few inches of advantage didn't have anything to do with how the play turned out, but the refs actually got that one right and called him on it. The result of the play was Brady throwing an interception through Gronk's hands. If it stands, game over, the Cheifs win. They can run out the clock in regulation. But it doesn't, the Pats complete the drive for a TD, and then amazingly with 39 seconds left KC gets back to field goal range to force OT. But NONE of that would have happened if the KC lineman just lined up with his hand a few inches back on his side of the line.

When that happened, I just figured the Pats were destined to win. And that was confirmed when they won the OT coin toss. The OT is ridiculous - the MVP of the league didn't even get a chance to get in the game. The other team should get a shot to tie in the case of a TD just like they get a chance to tie or win in the case of a field goal. Oh well. Everyone knew the rules, but it still irks me that the coin toss makes THAT much difference...

-Ray
Fully agree with you that the careless neutral zone infraction penalty was a death blow for KC. Andy Reid said as much.

But I don't agree that the OT rules should bare the full blame for keeping Mahomes on the bench.
Yes, we all agree that the coin toss is advantageous if you win it.
But then, the coin toss winner has to score a TD for it to end.
Look at it from the Patriots' point of view:
They had to go 75 yards, at Arrowhead stadium, under the most intense of pressure to score that TD.
To get there, they had to execute THREE third and long situations. There was no room for error.
If they had missed the first two, they would have had to punt. KC then gets the ball. From there, KC only has to hit a field goal to win outright.
So, Mahomes' job arguably would have been a lot easier than Brady's under the circumstances. As Mahomes had shown, he can get the team in FG position in less than 30 seconds.

So, other than the Patriots' fine play, who's more at fault for KC not reaching the SB? The OT rules, or the KC defense who were flagged for a stupid penalty, then couldn't stop the Patriots from covering 75 yards, even with three third and long passing situations.
Answer: The KC defense, without a doubt.

And that's probably why their DC was fired.

Sure, the NFL OT rules aren't perfect. But they aren't as one-sided as has been portrayed in this thread imo. The coin toss is an advantage for sure, but less so when you consider that, with one defensive stop forcing a punt, which shouldn't be beyond the capability of a championship caliber team like KC, the advantage decidedly flips over to the coin toss losers, since all they need to do is score a FG to end it.

I would also say, compared to the travesty that happened in the NFC game, the AFC game was won by the team that played better on that day.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Fully agree with you that the careless neutral zone infraction penalty was a death blow for KC. Andy Reid said as much.

But I don't agree that the OT rules should bare the full blame for keeping Mahomes on the bench.

Yes, we all agree that the coin toss is advantageous if you win it.

But then, the coin toss winner has to score a TD for it to end.

Look at it from the Patriots' point of view:

They had to go 75 yards, at Arrowhead stadium, under the most intense of pressure to score that TD.

To get there, they had to execute THREE third and long situations. There was no room for error.

If they had missed the first two, they would have had to punt. KC then gets the ball. From there, KC only has to hit a field goal to win outright.

So, Mahomes' job arguably would have been a lot easier than Brady's under the circumstances. As Mahomes had shown, he can get the team in FG position in less than 30 seconds.

So, other than the Patriots' fine play, who's more at fault for KC not reaching the SB? The OT rules, or the KC defense who were flagged for a stupid penalty, then couldn't stop the Patriots from covering 75 yards, even with three third and long passing situations.

Answer: The KC defense, without a doubt.

And that's probably why their DC was fired.

Sure, the NFL OT rules aren't perfect. But they aren't as one-sided as has been portrayed in this thread imo. The coin toss is an advantage for sure, but less so when you consider that, with one defensive stop forcing a punt, which shouldn't be beyond the capability of a championship caliber team like KC, the advantage decidedly flips over to the coin toss losers, since all they need to do is score a FG to end it.

I would also say, compared to the travesty that happened in the NFC game, the AFC game was won by the team that played better on that day.

Very well put.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:20 PM

I just returned from Gillette Stadium for the Pats SB sendoff celebration!

Amazing
Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I just returned from Gillette Stadium for the Pats SB sendoff celebration!

Amazing
Sweet! Hopefully that Pats will carry those positive vibes from the send off with them to the Super Bowl.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Default SB prediction

Hmmmmmm....indoor stadium.....fake grass.....this comes down to a final field goal with '12' seconds on the clock...GO PATS!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Hmmmmmm....indoor stadium.....fake grass.....this comes down to a final field goal with '12' seconds on the clock...GO PATS!
I tend to agree that it will be a close game to the wire, but I have no dog in the hunt, just hope it is well played, well officiated, and exciting. Like most big games, there usually is a "key play" at some point in the game that turns the tide. Let's see what happens Sunday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic