The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But you can't stream 15 locations at once with Netflix.
But you can easily stream from that many locations in a day—heck, even twice that. The point is that it's pretty easy to tell which passwords have been shared in violation of the user agreement. No third party service needed.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Maybe ... but PROVE that the 2nd session isn't ME.
That can be really easy.

I'm sure I'm typical for a small to mid-sized business. I have to keep an eye on what 700+ employees do. On top of that are around 300 - 1400 customers using our networks each day. Just managing security and performance plus dealing with compliance and audits produces a whole lot of data. In this era you have to have network-based security and a lot of data logging even the latter is only held for a short while.

Forget about public or at work. I'm sure the fine print for your own ISP agreement lets the firm know more than you realize. Even if you create encrypted traffic you can still find end points.

If you have an iPhone configured with good security and an Android device with Google logging much of what you do network devices can still know where you are and where you go.

I have no doubts the data that tells me someone was watching Netflix when they were supposed to be working makes it easy for Netflix to find violators.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
But you can't stream 15 locations at once with Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
But you can easily stream from that many locations in a day—heck, even twice that.
I'm just curious as what extent that is actually a thing.

Are there a bunch of dealings out there like: "Hey, can I use your Netflix password today from noon to one?" "Sorry, the only time slot I have left is 6am to 6:30".
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Netflix has 3 plans. The cheapest is to stream/download on one screen, the standard (which I have) authorizes two streams/downloads plus HD quality, and the most expensive gives 4 streams/downloads plus Ultra HD.
If someone uses a VPN, and a TV show is available in other countries only, they can change their IP address and stream a program not available in their country. For example, Fargo isn’t on Netflix in the US, but is in the UK. Netflix monitors sign-ins from locations other than your usual ones, and will send an email to notify the account holder when that happens, that looks like this:

Quote:
We noticed a new sign-in with your Netflix account ([email protected]).
Device
Computer
(may not match your exact location)
Time
December 30th, 9:52 AM PST
If you signed-in recently, relax and enjoy watching! But if you don’t recognize this sign-in, we recommend that you change your password immediately to secure your account.
We're here to help if you need it. Visit the Help Center for more info or contact us.
–Your friends at Netflix
So it appears Netflix tracks where and when sign-ins occur, but as long as you are within your account screen limit, the where isn’t a limiting factor. I share my account with one of my sons, so there are only ever two possible sign-ins.

I’m curious if anyone has tried to do more than the allowed number of streams at the same time for their account level, for example with friends or family.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Whatever happened to Napster? Is that still around. Man I remember when that was all the rage.
Napster went legit, not near as big a iTunes, but still around.
It was actually the band Metallica that first launched a lawsuit against Napster that started the legal problems that eventually led to its peer to peer network being shut down .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Netflix should spend their time and money figuring out how to become relevant again and start adding more movies!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I'm just curious as what extent that is actually a thing.

Are there a bunch of dealings out there like: "Hey, can I use your Netflix password today from noon to one?" "Sorry, the only time slot I have left is 6am to 6:30".
My kids have said that their friends in college share logins/passwords freely. HBO, Starz, CBS All Access, Hulu, Prime, Netflix, and many others. Many dozens of people share the same password. If they go to log in, they'll occasionally get a "too many devices" notice, so they wait an hour to see if they can watch later when someone else has logged off. In the meantime, they've just logged another location on the Netflix server.

So, yes, this does happen. I would guess that the expensive services like HBO more often get shared than something cheap like Netflix.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Napster went legit, not near as big a iTunes, but still around.
It was actually the band Metallica that first launched a lawsuit against Napster that started the legal problems that eventually led to its peer to peer network being shut down .
Thanks Kev. Had no idea Metallica had a hand in the demise of Napster.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kev. Had no idea Metallica had a hand in the demise of Napster.
You're on the net Wad... just go to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
You're on the net Wad... just go to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster
I’ve read several places that Wikipedia is unreliable on many topics. I prefer heresay, innuendo and rumors....and maybe a few embellishments sprinkled with hyperbole. 🥴
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I prefer heresay, innuendo and rumors....and maybe a few embellishments sprinkled with hyperbole. ��
Ha! now that is precious , and the scary thing is it appears to actually be SOP for vast segments of the population, funny how humor also reflects reality sometimes

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That can be really easy. ... <and lots of irrelevant stuff snipped> ...
Nonsense, and don't know what you're getting at. My wife can be watching at home, while I'm watching at my daughter's house. Two perfectly valid logons, which is what I'm entitled to, regardless of where. Sure, they can tell the logons are from different locations ... but that's exactly how it's supposed be used. Why else would they have a Netflix app for mobile devices?

Last weekend I inadvertently left my tablet logged on the Netflix, wife watching in the living room, and when I accessed Netflix from the den, I got a "too many logons" message (or something to that effect) that blocked me from watching until I ended the tablet session. Made me nuts for a minute, as I couldn't figure out why there were too many. The point being that Netflix knows how many are logged on with my ID, and from where, and denies service when the agreed limit is exceeded. No need for some 3rd party tracking software at all.

I think the OP is just repeating some internet myth.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Nonsense, and don't know what you're getting at. My wife can be watching at home, while I'm watching at my daughter's house. Two perfectly valid logons, which is what I'm entitled to, regardless of where. Sure, they can tell the logons are from different locations ... but that's exactly how it's supposed be used. Why else would they have a Netflix app for mobile devices?

Last weekend I inadvertently left my tablet logged on the Netflix, wife watching in the living room, and when I accessed Netflix from the den, I got a "too many logons" message (or something to that effect) that blocked me from watching until I ended the tablet session. Made me nuts for a minute, as I couldn't figure out why there were too many. The point being that Netflix knows how many are logged on with my ID, and from where, and denies service when the agreed limit is exceeded. No need for some 3rd party tracking software at all.

I think the OP is just repeating some internet myth.
Every device has a machine address in addition to an Internet protocol address. Network administrators and ISPs log that, protocols used, plus source and destination of traffic. Cookies and other metadata are very telling.

Feel or think what you wish, but a lot of what people are doing with networked devices is not too hard to figure out.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Every device has a machine address in addition to an Internet protocol address. Network administrators and ISPs log that, protocols used, plus source and destination of traffic. Cookies and other metadata are very telling.

Feel or think what you wish, but a lot of what people are doing with networked devices is not too hard to figure out.
That's what I said ... Netflix knows where and how many logons are active. So what? I might use my phone, my friend's phone, my iPad, my iMac, my daughter's Windows machine, my grandson's PlayStation, my smart TV, or my mini-van. Still only TWO simultaneous logons, and attempts at more are blocked. Netflix can tell the device, time, place, IP address, etc ... but ... they CANNOT tell what PERSON is logged in ... only which account. Why are you arguing with me?

I'll settle this ... you're right. Now leave me alone.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:

True that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic