The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
What is the issue you are seeing with active guitars? I have used it successfully with multiple of my active pickups. For several I need to use the supplied 90 degree 1/4" to 1/4" in addition to the transmitter for it to keep the actives properly powered. No big deal once I figure that out.
Ah yes it works fine with an extension cable. I don't like to do that though.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:08 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Ah yes it works fine with an extension cable. I don't like to do that though.
I like extension cables and 90⁰ adaptors, they prevent me walking round a crowded stage with a big sticky-out target for bass players to snap off.

(Remember crowded stages? - sigh!)

Apologies for hijack.

That's the price of two cars! Or at least a Zoom A1 four and a used Yam dxr8, much better (not battery, of course).
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

The demo videos sound good. I have the THR30ii that has all the electric effects. I have been impressed with how good something that small can sound. It has an acoustic setting, and that was a pleasant surprise.

I'm thinking for the acoustic only player, this could be a nice addition.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The demo videos sound good. I have the THR30ii that has all the electric effects. I have been impressed with how good something that small can sound. It has an acoustic setting, and that was a pleasant surprise.

I'm thinking for the acoustic only player, this could be a nice addition.
Does your THR 30 have the bugs my THR 10II has?
Talking of chorus knob , for example, or the rattling with reverb+delay, etc.
Shame on Yamaha for not fixing these issues after so long time and with such expensive devices. Beware before buying , Yamaha does not fix their own problems.

Here is a repost:

May 14, 2020

Reminder for Yamaha about THR II 10 .. maybe also for II 30.. PENDING ISSUES!

1) Effects knob. Chorus does not engage when we turn the effects, it engages after over half of the available range. Needless to say, the range is too narrow.
2) Reverb+Delay effect RATTLES. It does rattles . If I use reverb and delay from the app, no rattling.
3) Once a preset is selected, apparently there is no way to go back to the manual settings.

Plus, if you are still using Win7, no way to update anything. The Yamaha software does not work on win7 and they dont care about it.

Yamaha, LEARN FROM ROLAND

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-01-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 10-30-2020, 03:17 AM

I do really like the features, inputs, bluetooth and such. Would be a great match for my SLG200S for a home practice setup but at the price listed we enter a much larger world of competition.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
Does your THR 30 have the bugs my THR 10II has?
Talking of chorus knob , for example, or the rattling with reverb+delay, etc.
Shame on Yamaha for not fixing these issues after so long time and with such expensive devices. Beware before buying , Yamaha does not fix their own problems.

Here is a repost:

May 14, 2020

Reminder for Yamaha about THR II 10 .. maybe also for II 30.. PENDING ISSUES!

1) Effects knob. Chorus does not engage when we turn the effects, it engages after over half of the available range. Needless to say, the range is too narrow.
2) Reverb+Delay effect RATTLES. It does rattles . If I use reverb and delay from the app, no rattling.
3) Once a preset is selected, apparently there is no way to go back to the manual settings.

Plus, if you are still using Win7, no way to update anything. The Yamaha software does not work on win7 and they dont care about it.

Yamaha, LEARN FROM ROLAND
Hi Joe,

I have not run into any issues with the THR30ii. Sorry to hear Yamaha hasn't been responsive. I have no experience with dealing with their Customer Service.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-01-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Yamaha just released a firmware update (1.40) which may improve whatever issues you have. It also adds tape echo (or digital echo). To update, you have to install the newes PC or Mac version of the app.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
Old 11-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yamaha just released a firmware update (1.40) which may improve whatever issues you have. It also adds tape echo (or digital echo). To update, you have to install the newes PC or Mac version of the app.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
IT DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 7.
Yamaha dropped Win7 support at the end of 2019 (I think), and said that since Win7 is no longer updated by Microsoft, then they were dropping any support for it as well.

So the situation is this: people bought from Yamaha a product declared to be working on Windows 7 for updates and editing, which is no longer supported.
Without a reason.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:35 PM

Sweetwater has them on preorder for $549.99. I guess that is the street price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...modeling-combo
Old 11-02-2020, 07:20 PM

No noise gate and no phantom power.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Default New Yamaha THR30IIA

I ordered the THR30iiA yesterday in spite of it not being perfect. The thing is that I absolutely love the acoustic sound of my THR30ii, but it doesn’t have a mic. I also use the THR30ii on my electrics (jazz archtop and telecaster), but my main thing is playing acoustic guitar and singing. I absolutely love the light weight, lack of wires, and sound of the THR30ii. I also love the line outs for recording which sound as good as miking it except quieter.

I picture myself using the THR30iiA for recording my selfie videos with both guitar and vocals going through the amp, and the amp line outs going straight into my Sony ZV-1 camera with a Y cable. There will also be the option of going straight into my phone or iPad via USB. I gig, but not recently since COVID, so lately, pretty much all my amplified playing has been through the THR amp. The idea of adding a mic to that is just too appealing!

Also, I expect that in the spring, a vaccination program will begin and people will slowly start to socialize. I will get the vaccine as soon as I am able and begin to socialize again. The THR30iiA will be the absolute perfect singing guitarist living room concert amp. Sweetwater isn’t expecting them until mid January of next year so the timing should be perfect for that.

In any case, there is plenty of time to change my mind.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:27 AM

Quote:

I picture myself using the THR30iiA for recording my selfie videos with both guitar and vocals going through the amp, and the amp line outs going straight into my Sony ZV-1 camera with a Y cable. There will also be the option of going straight into my phone or iPad via USB.
Can't you do that with the Elite Acoustics D6-8?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-07-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Can't you do that with the Elite Acoustics D6-8?
I can do the line outs, just not the USB audio.

Getting this amp is just a matter of convenience. The THR amps are just so small, light, and uncluttered. My wife hates amps and cables around the house, but with the THR 30 there are no cables and it's small and blends in with the furniture. I'm using the heck out of it (mostly on acoustic). This just adds the mic input. I'll use it with an xVive U2, so there won't be a mic cable either.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
IMy wife hates amps and cables around the house, but with the THR 30 there are no cables and it's small and blends in with the furniture.
Aha! I know exactly what you mean
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-10-2020, 01:57 AM

I don't get the point of this amp given the Yamaha THR30 II is already here with cheaper price. What I can see the new item from this amp is:

1. New XLR input
2. 1 Nylon Model

But the Original Yamaha THR30 II seems much more flexible comparing with this. Can anyone correct me the point of getting the new Yamaha THR30IIA instead of the original one?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 12-10-2020 at 02:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification