The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 04:47 PM

I mentioned this on another unrelated thread, but will do it again for whatever it is worth. I took my John Walker Lochsa in for a set-up and the guitar manager gave me a GP 717 builders edition that they were holding for the Taylor booth at SXSW to try while I was waiting. I liked it, but I think that the OP's comments are the same as my thoughts. I didn't particularly care for the satin finish on their previous v braced guitars but I like it on the Ds. It was quieter and more mellow than I thought that it would be. He then hunted down a Martin Modern Deluxe D-28 that they had just received and was also in the back someplace. It was definitely louder and more lively. I actually like the looks and feel of the Taylor more. If I was playing out in a band or bluegrass setting where I needed a loud guitar, I would definitely pick the Martin. If I was just playing at home for myself as I mostly do, I would pick the Taylor. There was a lag between demoing these 2 and I was not playing back and forth like one of the videos that have been posted. The fellow doing the set-ups then came out (again after a lag) and handed me my Lochsa to check the set-up. My wife is thankful that I liked the Lochsa more than either.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the review. I still want to try one of these, but I am still appalled that they took the regular dreadnought guitars off the market. To me, Taylor dreads were some of the best factory guitars produced. Deep bass, great playability and incredible balance.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM

The Grand Pacific (especially those with the rounded bridge) look gorgeous! I've already been preemptively tempted by a 12-fret version...
But this is disappointing to read.

I admire Taylor's engineering and pioneering, but my ears have rarely agreed with Taylors as much as my eyes often do. I'd hoped these redesigns would decisively check the boxes of warmth, thump, aliveness/resonance...

But outside of marketing, I haven't heard many glowing reviews of the V-bracing (or praise that seems to lines up with my tonal preferences).
Yes, the intonation!...the "piano-like lows" (I prefer thumpy, guitar-like lows)...
Sorry, but the last thing I want from a Taylor redesign is a Taylor that sounds more Taylory. Seems more like doubling-down than a wild reimagining.

Anyone else see the YouTube vid where a dealer did a blind-test between Taylor X and V bracing, and the guy says, "this one clearly has less bass," and...uh, oh...it was the V-braced one. :/ Kind of surprised they uploaded that.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried one of the new Grand Pacifics, but I wonder if this is a case that Taylor Guitars can't win for losing (as we say in the south). How many times have I read criticism of Taylors for Taylor for being "too bright" and now they're too mellow. We waited with baited breath for the final announcement of this "new" line of Taylors which is often the recipe for a letdown. Will reserve final judgment until playing one or more GPs....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I really don't understand why Taylor DNs didn't sell! Sure they don't have the bottom-end of a Martin, but they're FANTASTIC guitars!!! I'll never sell my '95 810! One of the best guitars I've ever played and when tuned down in Drop D, will hang with any dread out there!! I'm very interested in a 717 down the road, but I'm gonna wait awhile and find a good used one. Thanks for a really detailed review!!
I had a DN4e a few years ago, it was great! I was a little surprised when the DN models went away, and stayed with the X10 models. More bling on the X10 models if I remember one of the reasons. Edit ____ I just realized that the X10 series is gone from the product line, which is what the point was and I just missed it! So, gone X10, Hello X17

Last edited by golfreggie; 03-08-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: content
Old 03-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I really don't understand why Taylor DNs didn't sell! Sure they don't have the bottom-end of a Martin...
I think that’s exactly why they didn’t sell. Even boutique builders who build their own Dread variants start in the same family as the Martin tone. My late-‘90’s Bourgeois Country Boy Dread is smoother and doesn’t have the growl of a Martin, but you can see the relation. If you want a different sound, Dana makes different guitars, including variants within his Dreads.

A Taylor Dread sounded too much like the signature Taylor sound. Most other Dreads still use the Martin tone as it’s base, but simply go off in different directions in the same neighborhood.

Nick
Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 PM

I have not played the new Grand Pacific models but for a Taylor Dreadnaght I absolutely dig the Taylor 410. Really good one for the $$

Corey
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played a Grand Pacific Taylor yet but I've played the new 414ce V-Class Rosewood and thought it sounded really good. Did the V-Class bracing in this guitar sound revolutionary in tone? Not really, but I'd have to say it was the best-sounding 414ce I've ever played.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion