The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

My beater is an Eastman. It lays around the house and I don't worry about it.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How do you like that DC-18e? Been checking that one out.
Hi, I will let you know tomorrow with pics.[emoji3]
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Podcasts Help Me Out

There are TONS of podcasts that help you find deals and steals for guitar parts and gear.

I often get help from various different guitar podcasts. They always provide good insight to my technique and help tweak my playing.

Does anyone else rely on podcasts to improve their playing?

I found a large list of them that are broken up into different categories based on what you are looking for.

You can check it out here: https://www.suregripguitarpicks.com/...uitar-podcasts
Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This is a perpetually debated topic. I’ve never been one to subscribe to the beater concept. But, I can understand why some people do.

My issue with having a beater is that I don’t like the sound of all laminate guitars. I don’t enjoy playing them much. That’s all I could afford for my first 20 years of playing. Once I could afford a nice instrument, it’s all I’ve wanted to play and sing with.
I totally agree. I just take care of it when I travel.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Not sure I understand why a 'beater' is necessary. While I do 'play' favorites, I am comfortable enough to play any instrument for any occasion. If I didn't like a given guitar I wouldn't have acquired it.

I value all my instruments and treat all the same. That includes keeping them in cases when not being played. That includes taking whatever happens to be the right one along on visits or playing out. And the external weather and humidity can play a part in that decision.

This way I maintain good habits caring for each one, even the inexpensive ones. And don't pick up any other habits which could manifest at the wrong time with the wrong instrument.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 PM

Default "Beater" acoustic guitar?

I only have one , a GSmini E and the only time I won’t use my expensive guitars is leading the music for Messy Church ( up to 70 children ) that’s when I use the GS I also use it when we go away on holiday etc . Great thing is when it’s plugged in it doesn’t sound that much different
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Not sure I understand why a 'beater' is necessary.
Because I'm not taking my Gibson on a multi-day canoe trip.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
No, the principle is not the same. Not in the least. Not for me. At a bar gig I will play 3 different guitars in the course of a gig and 2 different ones in any set. Putting then in cases is not an option. They need to be plugged in and ready for me to hit an A/B switch and must be easily accessible.

I don't play on a stage separate from the audience 95% of the time. Many of us that play regularly know what I'm talking about. Our "stage" is 80-100 sq ft of open space.

I know where all the corners of my furniture and walls are. All it takes is one drunk or one person with dementia running into my guitar stand.

If you do not live and play in the spaces I do, you cannot (or choose to not) understand. It's that simple.
Ok, calm down
Old 03-06-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Not sure I understand why a 'beater' is necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Because I'm not taking my Gibson on a multi-day canoe trip.
Nor would I. I would say that situation qualifies as a to-be-avoided 'external weather condition', a qualifier I mentioned. Common sense counts for something too. So does context.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-06-2019, 06:05 AM

So, for the ones who don't have a beater, do you leave your guitars laying around the house or they are always in the case? I ask because I have kids at home, and they like to seat on the couch and strum watching TV, so do their friends when around. Do you just leave your nice gear around the house for grabs?

Last edited by Condition1; 03-06-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandeleer55 View Post
There are TONS of podcasts that help you find deals and steals for guitar parts and gear.

I often get help from various different guitar podcasts. They always provide good insight to my technique and help tweak my playing.

Does anyone else rely on podcasts to improve their playing?

I found a large list of them that are broken up into different categories based on what you are looking for.

You can check it out here: [url]https://www.suregripguitarpicks.com/post/best-guitar-podcasts
nice spam link
Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 AM

I see a lot of folks here don't see the purpose. Well that's their choice.

I have 2 Takamine's that I plan to use for jams. But when it comes to taking one on vacation it will be one of the Indiana's.

Why, I don't fell like takeing a chance of
having a week's worth of luggage, beach chairs, coolers, and fishing gear damage my better guitars.

I don't make plans of playing other than just for myself. Yes the sound of the Indiana lacks but I can still practice picking and try to learn a new chord or two.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Not sure I understand why a 'beater' is necessary. While I do 'play' favorites, I am comfortable enough to play any instrument for any occasion. If I didn't like a given guitar I wouldn't have acquired it.

I value all my instruments and treat all the same. That includes keeping them in cases when not being played. That includes taking whatever happens to be the right one along on visits or playing out. And the external weather and humidity can play a part in that decision.

This way I maintain good habits caring for each one, even the inexpensive ones. And don't pick up any other habits which could manifest at the wrong time with the wrong instrument.

Don
I agree. I think maybe we get into trouble with the nomenclature "beater." I think often we really mean less expensive guitar.

I respect players who don't mind when they get dings and scratches in their instruments, but I'm not there. I don't run into many situations where I need a cheaper guitar, but maybe I'd find more opportunities if I had one.

My Taylor classical was under $2,000, but that's still above my idea of a cheaper guitar - and a classical doesn't generally fit the bill for any situation requiring volume.

But I won't buy anything I don't enjoy playing. I agree that's taking careful a step too far.

We all have different ears, wallets, and concepts of guitar care, beaters and freedom. It's fun to read the differences - not a question of right and wrong.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 AM

My definition of a "beater" remains different than many. For me it is an inexpensive guitar that while in great playing condition shows every mile put on it. The guitar that leaves the house with me most often these days is a 1956 Harmony H40. While it is actually a fairly hard to come by instrument over the years I have developed a faith that it can take anything that can be thrown at it. It will fire up when I need it to, hold together like a champ, and sounds great in the process. The H40 also has the advantage over my other beaters of having a Gibson P-13 pickup under the fingerboard extension so is ready to be plugged in if needed.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 AM

I agree, poor choice of words on my part. Less expensive guitar is more appropriate for what I had in mind than a beater.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion