The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Default A Martin or a Bourgeois

Have a chance to spend some hard earned cash on either a 1995 Martin D-45 or a 2010 Bourgeois D-150 Brazilian. It’s a retirement gift to me and the most I’m ever spend. Martin needs a neck set, a few spots where binding needs reglued and may be a little dry. Bourgeois is Brazilian and needs nothing. The Martin, needing work, some typical for vintage, worries me. You never know what else may pop up but they are hard to come by. I am 50/50. Both sound great in their own way, both are beautiful and are about the same cost wise when all is said and done. Can’t have both lol but think I’d like one of them. Or keep looking. I’m not all about it being perfect and all that but there is a point where condition comes into play.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:08 AM

I just recently picked up a 2014 Bourgeois and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever owned!! Dana gets a tone out of his guitars that’s just amazing!! Plus it needs nothing! Why buy a Martin just for the name and then have to spend more money on it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-02-2019, 11:10 AM

People that love martins will tell you the Martin, but as a Bourgeois owner, I would get the Bourgeois all day long
Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Well, I love Bourgeois and Martins and of my 3 Martins and 2 Bourgeois, I probably play the Bourgeois' more, certainly record with them more. As you note, they each have their own thing going on.

As long as a competent luthier checks out the D-45 and agrees it needs no more then the neck set, some glue, some love, the price is right and you enjoy the experience of playing either one, I'd go for the Martin. That amount of work would not concern me, just make sure it's not the bling affecting your ears and fingers. The neck set will only make it better. I've always wanted a D45!

I've never owned a 150, but did have a Bourgeois Vintage D for a bit and it was a fantastic guitar, so there is that.

If resell value is any concern, the D45 will probably hold it's value better, so there is also that.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Get the one that sounds and plays the best for your hands. It's simple, really. If it's the Martin, it can be fixed. If it's the Bourgeois, you're good to go. Don't sacrifice a dream guitar for a few repairs or what may seem to some to be as a special model because of what's on the headstock.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillD07 View Post
I am 50/50. Both sound great in their own way, both are beautiful and are about the same cost wise when all is said and done.
You're in the right place. Both have great tone, but different tones. I once had to make a choice between Martin's America's Guitar and a Bourgeois Signature D. In this case, the Martin was more expensive.

I don't know how you would describe the tone difference, but I thought it was basically the great chime of a good rosewood Martin vs the richness of a Bourgeois.

What made me choose the Bourgeois was simply that I had a good D-18V, and already had the Martin sound covered. Plus I don't flatpick, so the Bourgeois was a more versatile fit for me.

Which is to say there's no right answer here -- assuming the Martin doesn't need too much work.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Wow. I guess I have come to the right place. I agree the chumminess of the Martin is a sound I like and one I don’t hear quite as well on D28 or HD28. Not sure if it’s the woods or my ears. Resale does come in to play. But not immediate. The Brazilian with Cites and all does worry me but I’m a buyer so someone else will probbably down the road. And there is some bling factor here. I’ll admit it. The inlay has always appealed and then there is the Brazilian. But it does all come down to tone.

Last edited by PhillD07; 03-02-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm recently retired so we're probably around the same age. I grew up drooling over D-45s so maybe I understand your plight. Having bought/sold numerous guitars I have learned that my "infatuations" with certain models quickly fades if I don't love actually playing/hearing that model. With that said....

If the Martin needs a neck reset, how can you really assess it's tone and playability at this time? I currently own 2 Martins and 1 Bourgeois. Love all 3, all 3 have different woods and tones. My "lower end" Bourgeois looks and feels "better built" than my mid-to upper-end Martins. I like the B's neck more and I play it more. I also have a 1995 Larrivee D-19 which has no issues. It's the same age as the D-45 that apparently needs a fair amount of work. That would concern me, (unless this price point is the only way to get the D45 of your dreams.)

Assuming you still think that tone and playability are a toss-up, the question seems to come down to: Do you want one of the most iconic (& gorgeous) guitars ever made (in repaired condition), or a probably a "better built" and definitely better condition (& gorgeous) Bourgeois with equally iconic Brazilian back and sides. It depends on what's most important to you. Unless it was a really "vintage classic" though, spending a lot of money on a guitar needing that much work makes me think twice and I'd definitely go with the Brazilian Bourgeois. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by gmel555; 03-02-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Thought more about this, added the next to last sentence.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:38 PM

I lean towards the Bourgeois, just because I often like to get things that the next guy doesn't have - and because it is in good shape now and you know what you are getting. A luthier can fix the issues of the Martin, and you should be able to get an idea about its sound even before. Still, it is a bit of an unknown because it needs fixing.

Will the Martin please you more? Or the Bourgeois?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

I would get the Bourgeois. I wouldn't trust the Martin already..Too many issues for an expensive guitar and they aren't made (standard line) as good as they used to. My 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Bourgeois. Love mine. The only issue for me was my luthier drooled over it.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Bourgeois, no contest.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM

I did ask myself if I’d even be considering the Bourgeois if it wasn’t Brazilian and the Martin was in equally nice condition?? The answer is no. But because I want something special it is in the mix. I am starting to think even if repaired I may regret not getting the Bourgeois. Even though I can get the guitar to a certified Martin tech to do all the work it’s more than I ever expected. I am paying about the same for the bourgeois as I would for a Martin in similar condition. The Martin would be the same or a couple hundred less than the bourgeois after buying and paying for repairs so the costs are about the same. But will more condition issues creep in. It also has a. More pronounced belly than I’d like which is contradictory to the dryness issues so I’m leaning more towards the bourgeois or just waiting it out and trying to find another decent Martin.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Wink let's see

A mass-produced guitar or a boutique-built rarity that has an unequaled pedigree and whose builder has as good a reputation as could be had? Lemme think... Besides which, ever seen the engineered neck attachment on a Bourgeois? No comparison in build quality.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM

What I’d like to say here is thanks to all of you. Obviously you are all very knowledgeable and passionate about guitars and raise points that give pause for deeper though.

Starting to ask is the value in the craftsmanship and woods or the bling. Don’t get me wrong the 45 bling is as tasteful as it gets. Martins are pretty much stand alone at the top to many and I understand and appreciate that. But what am I paying for. Especially if roughly 15% or more is to bring the Martin back to proper condition. I am all for salvaging it as most would but will there always be a stigma.

Last edited by PhillD07; 03-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion