The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret slot head or not ????

Hello distinguished guitar enthusiasts.

Do you think a 12 fret needs a slot head to look (balanced) (cool ) (right )?

I want to order a custom build but the builder does not make a slot head. That is almost a deal breaker for me.

What are your thoughts. Do you own a 12 fret paddle head ? Pics ?

daniel
Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 PM

I've owned both, and I do like the slotted headstock look, but it is not a determining factor for me. I buy the whole guitar.

Last edited by DukeX; 02-15-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM

Slot head all the way.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 02-15-2019, 06:57 PM

I'm fine with solid peghead or slot head. But it's not a guitar for me.

Obviously you have reservations with solid headstocks on a 12 fretter. Just wait to get exactly what you want or you'll regret it later.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I agree that a 12 fret just doesn't look right without a slot head. Too bad this builder doesn't do that, maybe ask them if they have any recommendations of other builders who could build what you're looking for? Or see if this builder can be convinced to try out a slot head...
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I own both, but I chose a solid headstock on my last build, the 00 at the top. The 000 at the bottom has a slothead. I like the both, but given a choice I’d go with a solid headstock. Depends on what you like.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:03 PM

I'm the wrong person to ask,

I would pay extra to get a paddle head because I don't like to bleed all over my instruments.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Slot head for me. I prefer the look and I find that string changes are easier on a slot head than on paddle heads.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM

I build slotheads on all my 12 fret ss guitars.

I like the look, and I play classical so tuning is more natural for me with a slot head.

For me it is just as easy either way, but if your luthier has never built one, he'd have to invest some time in tooling for it, and I can see how he wouldn't want to bother for a one off.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I like the slothead look and the classical tradition it evokes. I'd think a builder would be willing to do it for a custom build, but guess not.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Well, I have one of each, slot head and paddle head. I really like the looks of the slot head. Both of mine are 000's and the slot head just really looks great on the smaller body.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Daniel, some guitarists like slotted headstocks, others among us do not. I have to include myself in the latter camp. I’m simply not very fond of them.

I’ve owned quite a number of guitars over the years that had slotted headstocks, so I can tolerate them when I have to. But I don’t like them very much and that’s never going to change, no matter how many slothead fans write earnest posts trying to convince the rest of us that they’re great.

I don’t think they’re great - I think they’re a pain in the butt, and avoid them when possible.

Over the years I have ordered five custom-made guitars with 12 fret body joins, including a 12 fret Double O that Wayne Henderson built for my sister. On all of those guitars I’ve ordered and received them with solid headstocks.

Despite my defiance of the natural order of things, the Earth continued untroubled in its orbit, no claps of thunder or bolts of angry lightning issued forth from the heavens, and all of those guitars sounded great and were a joy to restring.

Because I thought of Wayne Henderson as a strict traditionalist, I was a bit hesitant to approach him about making the Double O he built for my sister and the 12 fret Triple O he built for me with solid headstocks, but when I asked him if he’d do that he said: “Oh, sure, no problem,” then proceeded to tell me that more than half of the folks who ordered 12 fret guitars from him wanted solid headstocks, too!

So I’m hardly alone in disliking slotted headstocks. Many players do.

Anyway, if you like the guitars that this luthier makes enough to order a guitar from him, then you should respect his style and not try to hoorah him into building something that he doesn’t normally build. In my decades of being around custom guitar builders, both as a buyer and as a friend, every time a client has insisted on a feature that the luthier is reluctant to implement the resulting guitars have been less than stellar, and sometimes downright embarrassing.

Yes, it can happen - when a custom guitar client tries to micromanage every aspect and design feature of their order, the results can be musically uninspiring.

If having a slotted headstock is of paramount importance to you, find another custom guitar builder. Pushing this one to put a slotted headstock on the guitar for you is a bad idea.

That’s the sad voice of experience talking there, by the way. I never insisted on a slotted headstock, obviously, given my aversion to them, but there have been other features I wanted that the luthiers I’d commissioned were reluctant to do, but did anyway.

That’s not a great (or even a good) idea, EVER. If a custom guitar builder is reluctant to include a feature, defer to his or her judgment. They’re the pros, not those of us who think we know a lot because we spend time on guitar forums.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
...no matter how many slothead fans write earnest posts trying to convince the rest of us that they’re great.
I’ve never seen paragraphs extolling the virtues of slot heads. The opposite seems to be more often the case.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Slot head all the way.
... and then some.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 AM

Three points, and a conclusion:

1) My first guitar was (is, I still have it) a Martin 0-18 12 fret slotted.
2) I have a Martin Custom Shop 000 12 fret paddle.
3) The guitar I built is a 13 fret paddle.

The first guitar I ever saw and heard, was my Grandfathers Martin.
After he passed, that very guitar was presented to me by Grandmother.
It's deeply engrained in me that a 12 fret guitar and a slotted headstock go together.

A few years ago I acquired a magnificent Martin Custom Shop 12 fret ALL Mahogany.
Think of a 000-15S or SM, but with full gloss finish, dovetail neck joint, hide glue, Ebony fretboard and bridge, GE bracing...the works!
And a paddle headstock, not slotted.
It's a fabulous guitar.

When I had the choice while building my first guitar, I was torn between a 12 fret and a 14, so settled on 13.
And I chose the simplicity of a paddle VS slotted headstock.
On my second build, I may try slotted.

My point is, have both, like both.
No wrong answer here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion