The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Default 2 cents

I bought a Zager. Very nice instrument - excellent tone, loud, well made and equipped with great tuners. Not sure why so many rip Zagers especially if they haven’t played one. I’ve owned Martin, Mossman, Guild, Fender, etc. Most were great instrument. Some were crap in my opinion. I’d much rather play a great sounding, easy playing guitar of low repute than one with a nameplate that everyone worships yet sounds dull and plays so-so. Prejudice is a funny thing.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Love my T-shirt!

Not quite convinced about my 'Americas #1 Rated Pick!'

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynbob View Post
I bought a Zager. Very nice instrument - excellent tone, loud, well made and equipped with great tuners. Not sure why so many rip Zagers especially if they haven’t played one. I’ve owned Martin, Mossman, Guild, Fender, etc. Most were great instrument. Some were crap in my opinion. I’d much rather play a great sounding, easy playing guitar of low repute than one with a nameplate that everyone worships yet sounds dull and plays so-so. Prejudice is a funny thing.
"Great sounding" is a subjective thing. If you like your Zagar, play your Zagar. But understand nothing Zagar is doing is it unattainable on a number of cheap guitars. Grab a $200 Yamaha or Alvarez off the shelf, take it to a good tech guy and ask him to put set it up with extra-light strings ...POOF! Instant Zagar.

But like I said, if that works for you, great. Enjoy your guitar.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynbob View Post
.... I’d much rather play a great sounding, easy playing guitar of low repute than one with a nameplate that everyone worships yet sounds dull and plays so-so. Prejudice is a funny thing.
I, and many, would agree with you. If fact, many herein will claim they don't care about what's on the headstock, then some will chide someone for buying a guitar they love and play - because of the name on the headstock. I actually took a Zager guitar in in-trade one time and it was a fine guitar. All that matters is that you like it. Nothing more. Enjoy your guitar.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:25 AM

A music shop that I have frequented for 35 years that specializes in vintage and used instruments had a used Zager selling for $250 w/case. I tried it out and it basically was a stock Chinese $250 guitar. In fact this model appeared to have no modifications done to it what soever. I checked the frets and they appeared to not been touched and the saddle was just a regular plastic saddle and the guitar played no easier than a stock Chinese $250 guitar with regular .012-.054 gauge strings on it. There was no magic super low action or "string science".

I recall about 15-20 years ago when the internet started to get bigger, Zager's website (with fake customer "testimonials") was selling $200 all laminated Korean made Sigma/Martin guitars for a $1000 advertising them as "Martins" and not showing the headstocks that would clearly say "Sigma" on them. I believe they got called out on it by CF Martin.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM

I'm closing this thread first started in 2013. Move along, there's nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

'Nuff said.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion