The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Default Good time at the local Guitar Center

I was in a local Guitar Center checking out a "new" 2018 Gibson SJ-200, that turned out to have a very sad story. (It had been used by an actor for some sort of play/production, and he apparently did some Pete Townshend windmill work with a very sharp pick. The result was an amateur looking relic job on the top of what had been a pretty expensive instrument.) Apparently they just got it back and hadn't relisted it yet. But it sounded really nice and was set up right, and easy to play.

Anyways, the small acoustic rooms were being used, so I sat in the main room and started noodling around. I played a little of the intro to Harvest Moon and then some other things. The sales guy commented that he thought he heard some Neil Young, so I figured why not... So I'm playing the song and another guy comes up and comments on my playing, and we all start talking about Neil and things related to him and his music. He left and I kind of wandered into playing Melissa, then this other guy starts singing along with my playing, and he could sing it pretty well. Before I could tell him that, he was gone. Thing is, I don't usually play in public, and am not performer in any sense of the word. I was probably turning red from all the attention. The test of the sadly abused SJ-200 turned into a fun half hour in the GC acoustic room. Met a couple of nice people and had a really good time.

Last edited by thomasinaz; 02-08-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Great story and here you are trying it out!

Neil looks surprised to see a SJ-200 in that sea of D-45's.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Great story and here you are trying it out!

Neil looks surprised to see a SJ-200 in that sea of D-45's.
Now that's funny.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Cool story.....yep happens when you get guitar nuts in the same room. I guess it should be music nuts......it's a passion that some people just don't get. Sorry for them!!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Nice story! Sounds like a good time, and it makes me feel happy reading it. I love NY. Cool stuff!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
I was in a local Guitar Center checking out a "new" 2018 Gibson SJ-200, that turned out to have a very sad story. (It had been used by an actor for some sort of play/production, and he apparently did some Pete Townshend windmill work with a very sharp pick. The result was an amateur looking relic job on the top of what had been a pretty expensive instrument.) Apparently they just got it back and hadn't relisted it yet. But it sounded really nice and was set up right, and easy to play.

Anyways, the small acoustic rooms were being used, so I sat in the main room and started noodling around. I played a little of the intro to Harvest Moon and then some other things. The sales guy commented that he thought he heard some Neil Young, so I figured why not... So I'm playing the song and another guy comes up and comments on my playing, and we all start talking about Neil and things related to him and his music. He left and I kind of wandered into playing Melissa, then this other guy starts singing along with my playing, and he could sing it pretty well. Before I could tell him that, he was gone. Thing is, I don't usually play in public, and am not performer in any sense of the word. I was probably turning red from all the attention. The test of the sadly abused SJ-200 turned into a fun half hour in the GC acoustic room. Met a couple of nice people and had a really good time.
Birds of a feather! Music has the ability to bring people together and we need more of that.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM

A few years ago the local Guitar Center locked up all the good stuff, so you couldn’t just take a guitar off the wall and noodle around. I stopped going after that, for the most part.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

If only I had a time machine? This perfect combination of volitile creativity will likely never happen again...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
So did you ask the price and buy it? Sounds like you had a bit of a connection to it.....

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-19-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
So did you ask the price and buy it? Sounds like you had a bit of a connection to it.....
I had located a new 2017 SJ online but wanted to try and find one locally, which was what brought me to this GC. The manager actually brought the SJ out of a back room when I asked the sales guy if they had one. He told me the story about the cosmetic damage and offered a pretty good discount, but still not where I felt like we needed to be. I negotiated with them, but we couldn't reach an agreement.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Which GC in AZ were you at?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
Which GC in AZ were you at?
The Scottsdale GC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion