The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You may want to check out Breedlove as well. They make some really nice guitars in the $500 range.
Thanks! Hey, here's a newbie revealing question...what is a "travel guitar" (other than the obvious name implication). That-is, why call out as such?

This LL11 I was looking at was also referred to as his travel guitar...
Old 08-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Travel guitar is what we call a guitar that we are not afraid to travel with, be it to the beach, mountains or your drunk buddies back yard BBQ. A lot of us have expensive guitars that will stay at home, in a humidified case when not in use. My "travel guitar", or "beater" as I like to call it, can go anywhere, anytime. If it get scratched, it'll just add character. If it gets stolen, I'l just go buy another.

Yamaha's have a good reputation. I'm sure it would be fine, but my suggestion would be an Eastman E2OM with a cedar top. It's the best sounding, most responsive fingerstyle guitar I've ever seen or played for $500. I haven't found anything close to it for anything less than $2K actually.

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....UaAoVZEALw_wcB

Whatever you get, you may want to make sure it's got a 1 3/4" nut. You'll need a little extra space for that kind of playing.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM

I'll second the Eastman comment. One of the Eastman OM models would fit the bill nicely.

They're great guitars regardless of the pricetag, but they happen to be quite affordable. Still, being all solid wood, they are quite a bit more expensive than an entry-level plywood guitar.

I recently got myself an Eastman E10D dreadnought, which is mahogany with a special "adirondack" spruce top. It's a powerful beast. Really impressed with it - and I have a really nice Taylor 810 and Martin D28 to compare it to... Two guitars that cost a LOT more!
Old 08-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Shop around, be patient, be willing to spend $1000 to $1500 on the used market, and you can get a guitar that every time you play it you won't think, pretty good for the money, it'll do for now, I wish I'd bought better, or any of the other rationalizations we are prone to think. You will think, I'm spending way too much time playing guitar, I'm getting better faster, if I loose interest I have a guitar someone will give me $1000 to $1500 for.

Look at the Martin 16 series or find a MMV that Guitar Center sold, or a !5 series if you find you like the tone of all mahogany guitars. Maybe you'll luck into a Guild D 25, D 35, or D 40, or even an F 30 if you want a smaller guitar. or a 000 Martin. You could get a Taylor 300 series if those float your boat. If you are uncomfortable buying use, Larrivee makes a dandy dread for around $1200-1300.

Invest in yourself. You are worth it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-14-2020, 03:03 PM

You won't go wrong with the Yamaha - I've still got the FG-180 I got used in 1972 the Yamaha's absolutely sound much better than they should for the $
Old 08-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I saw an LL11 at a pawn shop a few months ago. A very attractive instrument, but on close inspection it seems to have had a quicky neck reset and things didn't line up quite right. If it had been untouched and not needing a neck reset I would probably have it now.

Instead I bought a brand new Yamaha FG800, $150 in a package that included a hard case, electronic tuner, etc. Great sound and intonation. I put on some better tuning machines that I had on hand, and a bone saddle. I have some more expensive guitars but that FG800 never fails to please.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:05 PM

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

You're at an advantage in that you've played before so
you have an idea of what to look for in a guitar.

For myself, it's the feel of the neck, size and sound. After that, it's a matter of a good setup.

Congrats on coming back to playing after so long. I recently looked at brand guitars for the first time in many years. I was amazed at the quality for the price some sold for. There's also used.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Thanks!

Really appreciate all of the excellent input! It's great to find an active forum full of experts...though I'll do my best to balance that ratio. ;^)

I just bought a new Breedlove Legacy Jumbo that was nicely discounted. Significantly more than I had intended to spend, but it was calling my name.
Looking forward to it!

Yeah, I'm terrible at being patient...terrible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion