The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Should I disclose that I sometimes cook Indian food in the same home where the guitars live?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Should I disclose that I sometimes cook Indian food in the same home where the guitars live?
ARE YOU COMPLETELY NUTS???
How can you???

Well, now you made me think. I do this quite often too.
Can you forward your adress? I‘ll send you mine, because I’m think, we can only sell our guitars only to each other.

I‘m looking for a Gibson Southern Jumbo. Do have one, you like to sell?
Or a nice Parlor?
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post

Only if you’re inviting me to dinner after we play them.

I have dogs, but my guitars smell like guitars. The two smells I worry about are mildew and smoke. Car upholstery holds pet smells, never known guitars to. I don’t let my dogs sit in my guitar case .
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
I certainly understand the smoke concern. I've also experienced the overly pungent cat odor that is present in some homes and can understand how it could be transferred to a guitar in its presence over time. All that being said, I will require any purchasers of guitars I list through the forum be dog owners, preferrably big dogs Got to make sure my guitars go to a good home. . .
None of the dogs at our place are big individually, but there are 3 of them.
Close enough?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Guitars can absorb smells. If you ever plan on selling any of your guitars, do everyone a favor and don't keep them out on hangers, keep them in their cases.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I bought a leather jacket on eBay one time and it reeked of smoke. I couldn't take it in my house. I tried every trick everyone told me to try to get the smoke out of it. It was a nice jacket. So I put it back on eBay and in the title I put, "Leather bomber jacket reeks of smoke." Then in the description I wrote that if you are slick of people telling you that you can't smoke inside bars and restaurants, this is the coat for you. It reeks of smoke and everyone in the place will smell it. Let the world know you are a proud smoker. " When the bidding was done I sold that jacket for forty dollars more than I paid for it. Just a tactic one might try if they are selling a stinky guitar.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I became super sensitive to scents after going thru chemo and in fact the infusion center has signs asking people not to wear perfume, cologne, bring in food, etc.

I always ask about smoke and pets. I've received guitars where pets have taken up residences in cases and left them full of hair.

Now the good news, for those commenting about the guide dogs there is a great special out now on Netflix called 'Pick of the Litter' all about the process that pups go thru to be come guide dogs for the blind.

Rob
Old 08-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
ARE YOU COMPLETELY NUTS???
How can you???

Well, now you made me think. I do this quite often too.
Can you forward your adress? I‘ll send you mine, because I’m think, we can only sell our guitars only to each other.

I‘m looking for a Gibson Southern Jumbo. Do have one, you like to sell?
Or a nice Parlor?
Sorry, no Gibsons... I'm in no hurry, but a D18 is in my future when I come across the right one for the right money. Regardless if it's from a smoker's, chewer's, drinker's, pet owner's, or Indian food-cooker's home (or some combination thereof)...
Old 08-13-2020, 03:47 PM

From the likes of the myriad responses, and thank you for them all, I must conclude that only people with permanent anosmia can disregard concerns from pets, cigarette smoke, perfume, ethnic food, room deodorizers, remnants of a house fire, rotting human remains, flatulence, local winds from the nearby wastewater treatment facility and all forms of noxious olfactory stimuli when searching for a pre-owned guitar. I, for one, will need to post “Smoke-free but pet-friendly” for those still able to smell the flowers. [emoji846]
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 PM

I have always had dogs around me and much of my old gear was played in bars and coffee houses so yup smelled like smoke. My dogs probably smelled like smoke. It was just called life.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
I became super sensitive to scents after going thru chemo .........
Rob
Me too and my nose/brain seemed to alter the interpretation. I was telling my wife I could smell things that neither she nor anyone else could, and it was quite bothersome. Thankfully, this went away after about 6 months.

Our first 2 dogs were Bouviers, and they barely shed at all. And when they do, they drop little clumps of fur you can easily pick up and toss. Fairly clean to have in a house, and some folks who are allergic to fur, will have a Bouvier for this reason.

Then, we decided to adopt a little rescue hound mix of some sort. One of my volunteers who works at a pet shop had one returned twice and we took him on 5 years ago. He's still here but holy moly does he shed. Little daggers of fur. I vacuum and wipe constantly. And I also keep my guitars in their cases, except for the carbon fibers. I allow the canine and carbon fibers to mix it up.

He arrived with the name Rufus and he does seem to enjoy acoustic music.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

Last edited by birdsong; 07-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Get off my lawn kid

As you can see we are Schnauzered.

The sneaky looking one on the left is 9 months old (Noel)

The other pup (Maggie) is 8 years old.

Neither one shows any interest in my guitars, but they often sleep at my feet or behind me on a rug while I play.

I do not leave my cases open and on the floor however as the above-mentioned sneaky one has been known to climb onto the lower shelves of coffee and end tables to snooze.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:01 PM

Maybe one should ask what breed of dog.

Poodles don't shed nor do they smell like a dog.

Maybe sellers will now say, comes from a no smoking home, with a poodle.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-13-2020, 08:15 PM

after having a german shepherd (105 lbs.), which was the greatest dog ever, but also shed a ton, we started on terriers (they don't shed) in the early 90's...we have had a sliky terrier (like 13 lbs), an airedale (50lbs), an amazing dog!, and now a yorkie (9lbs) who we rescued from an abusive environment and is the best little guy!! dogs are the greatest!...and they leave no hair anywhere, or odor in or on the guitars!!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

Last edited by fenderball; 08-14-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:23 PM

My pets don't get close to my instruments. Not close enough for hair and certainly not odor.

Minority here I know, but in my opinion I'm not disclosing that. If a buyer has allergies or something else, it's on them to ask and I will gladly tell them. My opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion