The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-08-2015, 01:30 PM

i am a very intermediate player. but i have been playing and arranging at that level for a long time.

here is a pretty little piece by robert schumann that i arranged, originally for piano, but it sits very well on the guitar and is fairly easy. it's called 'humming song', and is from his collection called 'album for the young'.

i haven't every gotten it up to speed, so maybe i'll try and do this tune next.

i would recommend paying attention to the left hand fingerings in the notation, as there are couple of places they help to avoid getting one's fingers in knots. they are just recommendations and can be ignored, however.

the sheet music/tab is here (be sure to fit to page when printing):
humming song

without tab here: humming song

here is a nice piano recording:

Last edited by mc1; 04-21-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 PM

i got my piece recorded! you can here it here:

my mother was born in france, and we took some family vacations there, so i put together a little slideshow of a pretty town in france, saint-paul de vence, that we visited.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

my mother was born in france, and we took some family vacations there, so i put together a little slideshow of a pretty town in france, saint-paul de vence, that we visited.

Very nice, love the pics also,

Dave
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Very nice, love the pics also,

Dave
thank you very much, dave.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM

I might give that Humming Song a go, since it included some tabs. Alas, I can not read the music without the tabs

I consider myself beginner/intermediate, probably more swaying towards the beginner spectrum. I do have a few songs I can play if asked, but most of the time I noddle on the guitar when I have the time (long work hours, three children 6 and under, lol). I find most times it takes a while to learn something new.. I have to visualize the fingering, otherwise I'm just tripping over myself. I'll give it a shot and try to do it within a week, but no promises

Cool idea though mc1... this kind of challenge might just give me the kick in the pants to learn something new, instead of just playing the things I already know. Also gives me an excuse to dust off the classical

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 AM

I'm currently learning "Black Mountain Rag" and The Ataris "In this Diary". I started both yesterday so i'll see where I'm at in a week.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

Nice playing!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Nice playing!!
thanks, ned!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I might give that Humming Song a go, since it included some tabs. Alas, I can not read the music without the tabs

I consider myself beginner/intermediate, probably more swaying towards the beginner spectrum. I do have a few songs I can play if asked, but most of the time I noddle on the guitar when I have the time (long work hours, three children 6 and under, lol). I find most times it takes a while to learn something new.. I have to visualize the fingering, otherwise I'm just tripping over myself. I'll give it a shot and try to do it within a week, but no promises

Cool idea though mc1... this kind of challenge might just give me the kick in the pants to learn something new, instead of just playing the things I already know. Also gives me an excuse to dust off the classical
humming song is pretty easy, but there are some places where your fingers might get tied up. if you check the fretting hand fingerings there are a few spots where i use 2 (the middle finger) rather than the index to facilitate the upcoming notes. these occur in bars 7, 10, 11, 15, and 23. they are only suggestions, and i find that while they help with the fingers, they are harder to remember. also, you can ignore the pull off in bar 16, and just play the C note in the bass. the original chord had all 4 notes, so this was one way playing that.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Heh... since my boss is out of town, ive been working 7-days a week.. probably not a good time to take on a challenge!

Anyway, I sometimes record myself playing to see where I'm going wrong. I finally got a chance to sit down for .. like 10 minutes .. to test out that song. Since I recorded a few seconds of it, is what you seeing for hand placement ok? (actually I recorded more, but the kids starting fighting and my wife started yelling.. I cut that part out. That is usually how my practice time goes.. a few minutes and then everything gets crazy, lol).

Yeah, cut me some slack.. give me a couple of more days to get it down

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Heh... since my boss is out of town, ive been working 7-days a week.. probably not a good time to take on a challenge!

Anyway, I sometimes record myself playing to see where I'm going wrong. I finally got a chance to sit down for .. like 10 minutes .. to test out that song. Since I recorded a few seconds of it, is what you seeing for hand placement ok? (actually I recorded more, but the kids starting fighting and my wife started yelling.. I cut that part out. That is usually how my practice time goes.. a few minutes and then everything gets crazy, lol).

Yeah, cut me some slack.. give me a couple of more days to get it down
seems like if your boss is out of town it's a good time to practice... just kidding.

yes, your finger placement looks great from what you played. remember there is no need to rush throught the parts you know to the next section. the next tricky little bit wil be the end of bar 7 and bar 8.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 AM

i'll mention that i am also working on the humming song, and i find the fingerings in parts hard to remember, especially the short section of bars 9 - 12.

i use transcribe to play a loop of a nice piano version (eric le sage) of just this section, and slow it down to a reasonable tempo, then play it over and over.

even if i didn't have transcribe, i would loop this part over and over at a slow tempo, maybe with a metronome or maybe without.

it's interesting to play along with great piano players because they put in interesting pauses or slow down certain sections.

the other thing i've done on my sheet music tab page is take a coloured marker and put a little dot where any fingerings are tat i need to be aware of. i have dots in bars 7, 10, 11, 15 and 23.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 AM

BTW, MC1, I think your "piece a week" idea is great and I'd love to participate... But too tied up with the trials and tribulations of life nowadays... ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 AM

here is my piece for this week:

tab here: humming song
sheet music here: humming song

Last edited by mc1; 04-21-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added sheet music/tab links
Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 AM

anybody have anything to share: progress, thoughts?

next up for me is a very easy, very pretty tune called 'cancao triste' (sad song) by edson lopes. if anyone ever wanted to start to learn to read standard notation, this would be an excellent choice, as it is very readable.

the music is available here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Can%C3%A7%C3%A...(Lopes,_Edson))

video here:

Last edited by mc1; 04-23-2015 at 12:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical