The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Hows this recorded acoustic sound?

Im working on getting a good sound - aside from the ever so important arranging/playing/guitar tone...

Heres dry and with some convo verb/eq/comp

Sorry for the mistakes - was just improv'ing chords.

Hows this sound?

I used an AT2020 LDC at the 12th fret, only angled a hair - then an SM57 angled at the bridge.

With FX

Dry recording just panning
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achase4u View Post
Im working on getting a good sound - aside from the ever so important arranging/playing/guitar tone...

Heres dry and with some convo verb/eq/comp

Sorry for the mistakes - was just improv'ing chords.

Hows this sound?

I used an AT2020 LDC at the 12th fret, only angled a hair - then an SM57 angled at the bridge.

With FX

Dry recording just panning
Hi achase4u…
First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined…

I don't download files from people I don't know - even on this forum. If you can post your files so I can play them online, I'll give them a listen.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Ah well I'm on linux so I don't have to worry about viruses

It's got some noise. If you've got input and output gain on your pres, try turning the input gain down and the output gain up.

I'm trying to figure out if I think the mics sound a little bit spitty. Not sure. Maybe it's just the attack. Is it a small-ish body instrument?

I'm also wondering if there's a little bit of high-end shimmer missing. Just the very top band - your recording wasn't dull-sounding by any means. Maybe that's just the sound of your guitar. Hmm... I'm thinking small body again, with a mid-forward kind of sound.

It is a pretty good job though IMO. It sounds quite solid and well-defined. That's not always easy to do.

And maybe the timbre is spot on for all I know. I'd have to hear the guitar live to compare.

I don't think it needs compression. Not to my ears anyway. Or EQ. Nice you didn't go overboard with the reverb (I never can resist..).
Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

There no danger opening music files (in this case a wav file) off the internet. And did you know when you stream stuff online (youtube, etc) it is downloaded to your computer (temporary internet files). So don't worry about it.
Anyway, as to the sound I think it is very good. Congrats.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the welcoming! To my ears at least, this might lack a tad bit of body or lower end. You are correct about the body size though! Its an Ibanez model thats discontinued. It was about 600 new - its a cutaway with arched back - thick spruce top and maple back/sides. Has a piezo pickup.

My dmp3 pre doesnt have output unfortunately - part of the problem is my computer in the background. I put quiet fans in it, and I sit between the mics and comp, but it still comes in...

Thanks very much for the listens and advice. I try to just put enough verb on to give some space is all...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD