The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi d4…
I bet it will make some nice (and quite satisfactory) recordings for you.

Sometimes it's easy to try to impose our minimum standards on you, and part of the learning curve is best experienced by starting with good solid consumer grade gear and then working up if needed.

I have heard some very satisfactory recordings done with the C-1000...and they didn't sound the least bit nasty. And I've heard some pretty poor performances captured by $4000 mics which when all was said and done, still sounded pretty poor.

Go play some good music and capture it on your rig!

That was very well said!

You speak the truth though, It's not always about the mic's... It's about the player too. But sometimes you need the right tools for the job.

I can't wait to try it out with a GA3, The GA3 is in another league compared to my Yamaha F-310.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rin View Post
That was very well said!

You speak the truth though, It's not always about the mic's... It's about the player too. But sometimes you need the right tools for the job.

I can't wait to try it out with a GA3, The GA3 is in another league compared to my Yamaha F-310.
Brother I feel your pain. Recording an acoustic is a journey, not a destination.
I have had the best luck with small diaphram condensor mics. The one I am using now is a Rode NT3. I think I got it for $200. It records the high end better and is less overwhelmed by the low end.

I have been on this "recording acoustic guitar" journey for a while. And here is another interesting thought. The guitar that sounds best live is not always the guitar that sounds best recorded. It's interesting the ear and the mic hear things quite differently.

A well recorded acoutic guitar sounds so simple. It ain't. But when you approach "that sound" it is a good feeling.

Good luck to you,
Tom
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Reading through this thread and seeing the absolute prohibition against using an SM57 on an acoustic got me a bit curious. I don't have a pair of SM57s, but I do have a couple of old SM58s from my rock'n'roll days, so I unscrewed the ball ends on those and put them up in XY. Then I did another XY array with a pair of KSM141s in cardioid. I hooked them up to my Echo Audiofire Pre8 and I used a test tone to match levels because without careful level matching our ear/brain will fool us every time.

Then I recorded these two stereo tracks in REAPER:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/audio...902/KSM141.wav
http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/audio/20110902/SM58.wav

Now, I'm not saying there's no difference, but I would say that they're both useable tracks. I would say that the difference is a lot smaller than I would expect from reading this thread or many others out there in internet land.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 PM

That sounds pretty good. Very warm sounding it seems!

I wish I had a second microphone to test with, All I have now is the Rode NT3 .
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rin View Post
That sounds pretty good. Very warm sounding it seems!

I wish I had a second microphone to test with, All I have now is the Rode NT3 .
Hi d4…
NT3s are a great instrumental mic. Another ''many a good recording made with these'' type microphone.

And with the added flexibility (like the C-1000) of being able to pop a 9 volt battery into it and use it without phantom power.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi d4…
NT3s are a great instrumental mic. Another ''many a good recording made with these'' type microphone.

And with the added flexibility (like the C-1000) of being able to pop a 9 volt battery into it and use it without phantom power.

Maybe the NT3 and a C-1000 might be good to use with a Stereo recording.

I've also noticed that room sound makes a huge difference, If I record my acoustic in my bedroom it sounds dead, But when I go into my spare room...The acoustics seem to be much better and sounds warm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD