The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissongs View Post
I use the Zoom Q3 for all my youtube videos
great stuff bob! just what i needed, more food for thought - yikes!!!!

how much editing do/are you able to do via the Q3, before you post to YT? there was one video in particular (sorry, can't remember which one) that jumped out at me in terms of too much reverb. what's your step-by-step process in accomplishing the nice work you do?
FOR SALE: 2008 Montuoro 12-Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought - Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce
FOR SALE: 2005 Custom Simpson GA-C - Ziricote/Redwood
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
I highly recommend the Zoom H2. I used an H2 to record "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and then transferred the WAV file to Garageband for EQ and light reverb. You should be able to pickup a used (and maybe even a new)
H2 on the cheap as the the new H2N is due to be released soon.

If you want to check out the H2, here is the song: 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Steve,
This might be a bit off topic, but could you share some details of how you do the processing with Garageband. I use "Audacity". So far it's been just to add some reverb (formerly I would use my amplifier in the background for that). Specifically, how do you do the EQ? I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for any tips.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Trow View Post
great stuff steve! i have a nice arrangement of this tune that i'll share as soon as i'm up and running. in addition to the great playing, i was equally impressed with the sound quality you achieved. your process of recording/transferring to GB sounds simple enough, even for the likes of me!?

are there any draw backs to it being a WAV file, versus say an MP3?
Thanks Benoit Trow . . . I really appreciate your kind words about my song. Regarding your WAV vs. MP3 question, let me first say I have very little real tech knowledge about the recording process. Having said that, my sense is that there are advantages to it being a WAV file in that it is much less compressed than an MP3 file (for future processing availability.) If Larry and/or Fran are still checking this thread perhaps they will weigh in as they are very knowledgeable about recording.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Steve,
This might be a bit off topic, but could you share some details of how you do the processing with Garageband. I use "Audacity". So far it's been just to add some reverb (formerly I would use my amplifier in the background for that). Specifically, how do you do the EQ? I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for any tips.
Hi Bill . . .as I mentioned in my previous post reply, I am really not that knowledgeable about the recording process. It is just a means to an end for me as I'd rather just be playing my guitar.

EQing in GarageBand is a simple process. After I import the WAV file into GB as a single track I can then either add "post recording" effects like EQ or reverb or a host of others that are in various menus on the right and side. For EQ I can select various EQ pre-sets i.e, "acoustic guitar clear" or I can just set the EQ curve manually while monitoring the dry track I imported. When I am satisfied with the sound I just 'save' it. Hope this helps! (others with more knowledge on all this may jump in here which would probably help you more.)

Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Benoit Trow . . . I really appreciate your kind words about my song. Regarding your WAV vs. MP3 question, let me first say I have very little real tech knowledge about the recording process. Having said that, my sense is that there are advantages to it being a WAV file in that it is much less compressed than an MP3 file (for future processing availability.) If Larry and/or Fran are still checking this thread perhaps they will weigh in as they are very knowledgeable about recording.
thanks steve, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i noticed your version of "WMGGW" is an instrumental, so, was it recorded as a single track, no overdubs, no vocals, etc. and then imported to GB? what if you wanted to record acoustic guitar, lead vocal, harmony vocal(s) and an electric lead break/enhancement, would you then record each separately, importing each to GB as completed, or, would you record each, bulding the song on the H2 and then import the whole song to GB as an unmixed, yet complete, tune? again, forgive me, but the more i seem to learn, the more complicated it becomes!?

cheers, trow
FOR SALE: 2008 Montuoro 12-Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought - Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce
FOR SALE: 2005 Custom Simpson GA-C - Ziricote/Redwood
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Hi Bill . . .as I mentioned in my previous post reply, I am really not that knowledgeable about the recording process. It is just a means to an end for me as I'd rather just be playing my guitar.

EQing in GarageBand is a simple process. After I import the WAV file into GB as a single track I can then either add "post recording" effects like EQ or reverb or a host of others that are in various menus on the right and side. For EQ I can select various EQ pre-sets i.e, "acoustic guitar clear" or I can just set the EQ curve manually while monitoring the dry track I imported. When I am satisfied with the sound I just 'save' it. Hope this helps! (others with more knowledge on all this may jump in here which would probably help you more.)
Thank you Steve. I'm with you re. having little time to play, let alone trying to figure out the compexities of recording. I have neither time nor inclination to be an audio engineer.

It's a bit frustrating, as I can execute a piece well, yet it can come out sounding not so good on YouTube. I need to play around with the Audacity settings whenever I get a chance. I don't think there are auto settings for EQ though.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Trow View Post
thanks steve, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i noticed your version of "WMGGW" is an instrumental, so, was it recorded as a single track, no overdubs, no vocals, etc. and then imported to GB? what if you wanted to record acoustic guitar, lead vocal, harmony vocal(s) and an electric lead break/enhancement, would you then record each separately, importing each to GB as completed, or, would you record each, bulding the song on the H2 and then import the whole song to GB as an unmixed, yet complete, tune? again, forgive me, but the more i seem to learn, the more complicated it becomes!?

cheers, trow
My 'typical' recording gear/chain does 'not' include the H2.

I used the H2 to record WMGGW just to make a 'practice' recording to measure my progress. I posted the song as I was very pleased with the audio quality. The H2 always surprises me with its ease of use and sound quality.

When I 'do' use the H2 I simply record one acoustic guitar track 'file' in WAV format and then import it into one track in Garageband. The 'dry/no effects' H2 recording is 'baked in the cake' if you get my drift, but I can add effects/EQ in GB post recording to tweak the sound I want.

My standard recording gear/recording chain is as follows:

- Acoustic Guitar > Rode NT4 (stereo) mic > Apogee Duet > 2 separate tracks in Garageband (iMAC).

- Vocal > Rode NT2A mic > Apogee Duet > 1 track in Garageband (iMAC)

(Please note that because the Apogee Duet only has 2 inputs, if I want to record my guitar in stereo (which I usually want to do), if my song has a vocal part I have to record the vocal 'separately, while monitoring the acoustic guitar via headphones. If I record the guitar mono, I can record both guitar and vocal together via the Apogee Duet but into two separate tracks.

I hope this is clear as it is about the best I can explain it.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Steve, the Q3 is the easiest thing in the world to use. After recording, you pull out the attached usb cord, plug it in your computer, and download it. Then go to your youtube channel and upload it from your computer and voila.....
Btw, the NEW Q3 is better than the old one that I've got.

Everett-Celona
Taylor DDX
Heyser- Englemann/Maple
G&L ASAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD