The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Good luck with your recordings! I'm actually going through the same thing as well. After recording 2 albums at professional recording studios and spending lots of $$$, for my next album, which will be an Xmas album due this year, I've decided to go DIY and outsource the session musicians (drummer, cellist, violinist). Let me know how your album turns out once it's done, I'm about 60% done with mine.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Expectations..... Time and money........

IMO.... to put out a commercially competitive CD.........
Learning how to record -- lots of time
Learning how to prepare a space for recording -- lots more time, some money
Setting up a good recording chain (mics, pres, converters, software, monitors, cables, stands, etc.....) -- at least some money -- more likely a lot
Bottom line (IMO of course) takes at least ~$5K to put together a two channel rig from scratch to make a competitive CD DIY...... could be a lot more.... depending on expectations)......

Now none of this so far involves practicing the songs to record :-).......

All that said you can make some darned good recordings using what you already have. My suggestion....... block out 80 hours over the next short while and make your best version of what you are thinking of doing using what you have. Compare to your target product, post your progress, ask advice..... then you will have a much better idea where your passion lies.........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD