The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Composite Acoustics LEGACY - Vintage vs. Standard Anyone Compared Them?

Just wondering if anyone has compared these two models and what your thoughts were? I've listened to the clips on the Composite Acoustics website but but the material played in both clips is different. I wish they would have at least played the same material for each clip. It would make it a bit easier to compare.
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus...
THIRD DAY

MARTIN D-16e Rosewood
Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

-My Brother-in-law had both of them. Personally I liked the Vintage Voiced Legacy better than the Standard. They way he was explained by CA, if I remember correctly, is that the Vintage is voiced like a old Martin and the Standard sounds more modern like a Taylor. I doubt this helps you out but that's my nickel.

L8R,
Matt

ps. I love the quote you have in your sig. I used to play bass in a P&W band and we covered quite a lot of Third Day tunes. I have Revelation in the stereo right now. Peace.......
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Buying a carbon guitar can be frustrating. I went on vacation and had a chance at a Chicago Music store to play about 7 composite guitars. None of the ones you are asking about. It seems you almost have to buy it first and then see if you like it. CA really needs to work on how they can market their product better. It really is just unavailable to many people to even try one.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-21-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Buying a carbon guitar can be frustrating. I sent on vacation and had a chance at a Chicago Music store to play about 7 composite guitars. None of the ones you are asking about. It seems you almost have to buy it first and then see if you like it. CA really needs to work on who they can market their product better. It really is just unavailable to many people to even try one.
Steve
that's mostly due to them being a smaller company, just give them some time to get their name out there

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM

I would have to agree with Will. CA will eventually get their name out to those folks (I was one) that believe that a guitar must be constructed of wood to be a keeper. While I have no issues whatsoever with my traditional wood guitars, my two CA's compete in every way.

Although I've played a couple of different Legacy models, I believe they were both Standards. Both were great sounding guitars either of which I would have been proud to own. If the Vintage Voice is any better, I'm guessing it would be a keeper as well.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 PM

I owned both a Vintage and Standard (or what they were calling Enhanced Traditional at the time)...I liked both, but my favorite was the Vintage voicing.

But now, don't they just offer one dread called the Legacy, with an optional looks-only "vintage package"?

It's a little confusing to me. Anyone know what's up?
Now I own a one of their dreads from last summer and am not sure which voicing it has...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM

I haven't had an opportunity to try a straight Legacy version. But my Vintage Performer is my favorite guitar. The tone is definitely reminiscent of Martins. I wish that the action on my CA were as good as my Martin, but it's still very good. By the way, I believe still makes a vintage voiced Dread.

TC
Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 AM

I bought my CA after visiting a shop that had it on consignment. I went to see what the fuss was all about and ended up putting a deposit on it. I think mine is a Legacy Vintage...they changed the names of the models after mine was built. I love the sound, but my Martin sounds a bit different (and better) to me. The CA really excels at plugging in, I like the LR Baggs iMix.
I put lights back on there (they ship from the factory with lights); I was running mediums for a while. Got "some" volume from the mediums but not a lot. Anyhow, the lights a little nicer on the digits, if you know what I mean.

All this to say, I played both models in the shop (I think) and there wasn't a huge amount of difference to me BUT I would lean towards the Legacy Vintage.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM

If the Legacy "Vintage" is voiced after a Martin how about the top end? Does it produce a some nice highs to go along with the lows. I know Martins aren't really known for sparkling highs.
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus...
THIRD DAY

MARTIN D-16e Rosewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber