The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 05:41 PM

I’ve had both a Kopp and John Walker guitar. Wonderful instruments. I have met and spoken with Kevin and John in person. They are great guys and I am sure Would be more than happy to speak with you.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 08-13-2020, 06:34 PM

Several years ago I spend an afternoon at the Podium in Minneapolis.

They had Fairbanks, Collins, Kopp, and several others. I came away thinking the Fairbanks was was my Fairbanks. Been too many years to remember details.

There were differences, none were really better.

Sounds like a fun journey.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:10 PM

I have a Kopp K-185 on order with koa back and sides. I’ve played Fairbanks guitars (which are great,) one John Walker (also great) but never a Kim Walker.

I’ve heard great things about all of these guitars and their builders. The instruments I have played have all been on the same very elevated level.

Hope this helps.

whm
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I owned a 12-fret Kopp K-35 (Kevin's "Smeck" version) and a custom Fairbanks SJ; however, in my pursuit of other guitars I sold them both. Both were stellar instruments with Adi tops and mahogany back & sides. If a modern Gibson-style guitar if what you're looking for, I couldn't imagine you being disappointed with either maker. I personally favored the Kopp, and it's the only guitar out of many that I've sold that I regretted letting go of; so, a few months back I jumped at the chance to purchase a beautiful used standard 14-fret Kopp K-35 from a fellow AGF'er. I'm thrilled to once again have a Kopp, and I couldn't be happier with the guitar. But again, you really couldn't go wrong getting a slope shoulder dread from either builder. I have no experience with Greven or Walker, so I can't offer any insight on them other than to say that they also have strong reputations. Good luck with your decision...it's a tough choice to make, but likely a very safe one...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

The OP is in Canada, and I know it’s a big country, but Mark at Folkway Music runs a great shop and is a great repairman. I’ve met him several times at TME on his way to visit and work with TJ Thompson.

He has this in stock: https://folkwaymusic.com/new-instruments/item/id.3827

Also, Mark would be a good source in finding a vintage banner, with good provenance. Lots of great guitars go through that shop. Most shops maintain want lists for customers.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

It’s just guitar dependent. I’ve owned Greven, Flammang, Kopp, J Walker, and have played a bunch of Fairbanks. Currently, I own just a vintage Gibson. I bought them all used but I ordered a new custom from Kevin Kopp and it was a great experience. You just can’t go wrong. They are way more alike than dissimilar. Plus they are all great guys. I have talked to all but J Walker and they’re a terrific group of guys. Personally, I love the Kopp alcohol sunbursts, I love the Fairbanks rosewood guitars. I’ve played a J Walker J-185 maple guitar that was crazy good....
Old 12-18-2023, 09:43 AM

Default Which Fairbanks model?

I’m going to have Dale build me a guitar. I originally fell in love with the F-50 that Carters Vintage has right now, and was thinking of trading in my Gibson custom shop SJ-200 towards it. But my youngest son (19) who also plays asked me not to as he loves that guitar. So I reached out to Dale and his info and timelines to do a new build. I have only played the F-50, which has the J-200 sound I love. It if I’m keeping the Gibson, that seems redundant. Would love opinions of other Fairbanks models you have played.

Other than the J-200, I also have a J-45 twelve string and an old Fender acoustic that I bought used as a kid; it’s nothing great, just sentimental. I have lots of electrics, mandos, etc but just these listed in acoustic guitars.

It’s hard to tell from videos online, but if I was basing it on those, I am probably leaning towards the super smeck.

All feedback appreciated. This is my first post as I just learned of this forum. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I had a Kopp AJ... every detail was the model of perfection...

I'd fill in your "?" with: Daniel Roberts.

There was (is?) a rosewood Daniel Roberts guitar at Carters
a few weeks ago...

-Mike
Old 12-18-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightguy View Post
I’m going to have Dale build me a guitar. I originally fell in love with the F-50 that Carters Vintage has right now, and was thinking of trading in my Gibson custom shop SJ-200 towards it. But my youngest son (19) who also plays asked me not to as he loves that guitar. So I reached out to Dale and his info and timelines to do a new build. I have only played the F-50, which has the J-200 sound I love. It if I’m keeping the Gibson, that seems redundant. Would love opinions of other Fairbanks models you have played.

Other than the J-200, I also have a J-45 twelve string and an old Fender acoustic that I bought used as a kid; it’s nothing great, just sentimental. I have lots of electrics, mandos, etc but just these listed in acoustic guitars.

It’s hard to tell from videos online, but if I was basing it on those, I am probably leaning towards the super smeck.

All feedback appreciated. This is my first post as I just learned of this forum. Thanks!
I have an f35. The back and sides are from a ‘rescued’ mahogany table leaf. Having played quite a few of Dale’s guitars myself, I don’t think you would be disappointed. Nor would you be disappointed by a Kim Walker, or a Kevin Kopp. At this level, all of these guitars are highly responsive and resonant. They will have differing ‘sound colors’ depending on their size and their tonal woods. I’m not sure where uou live, but I recommend taking any opportunity you can to try multiple guitars, both from Dale and the others.

Plus, there are a plethora of reviews throughout the AGF custom section. Most of us love our custom builds and love to show them off.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion