The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Use a PA Head/Mixer to record?

I have a Carvin PA 620 head/mixer and I was wondering if could I use that to record thru USB on my computer. I have quarter inch out and tape out. I have an interface and I'll be using Audacity.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It can be done. It may not be the best possibility because there may be some noise and coloration. Be sure to match the output level of the mixer to the input level of the interface.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 AM

I've used my Carvin RX1200R (passive) to record ... into a Boss BR600, and to my computer via an interface. Works fine. As Bob has said, be careful with the output level so as not to overdrive (clip) the input on your recording device.

Even today in my "studio" I use a Yamaha MG166cx mixer to a MAudio Delta 44 interface with great results.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your replies, one more question, is it ok to operate a pa head with out the speakers? Obviously, I wouldn't want sound coming out of the speakers.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks for your replies, one more question, is it ok to operate a pa head with out the speakers? Obviously, I wouldn't want sound coming out of the speakers.
Hi jricc…
The head needs to be under load.

Also on the mixer front, it can be made to work but it takes a high end mixer to avoid noise, unless you are masking it in the mix. Had to mix a drum set through a mixer once for a multi-track all-at-once record a whole band thing.

Not only does it involve noise, but in this case, the mix we got was what we had to live with as a final product (no remixing). Also it's involved to keep the pans set properly.

It can be done. It's more work and lowers the quality in my opinion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD