The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2024, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default How does she get all those different sounds?

Not sure if it belongs in this part of the forum. Majelen gets so many different sounding percussion effects. Do you think she's using pedals? She really takes off at about 30 seconds into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3loeVFNA4
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-06-2024, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

My guess is she is using some (heavy) compression and by changing how and where she attacks the string (from bridge to neck) she adds a lot of tonal variation. Probably some overdrive via a peddle or from the amp.

Also, she has a humbucker pick up. probably part of of a dual source set up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-06-2024, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Mbroady. Compression being the "crunchy" sound?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-06-2024, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Definitely using pedals I’d say. Seems like we are hearing (all at once) an acoustic pickup in the guitar for the acoustic sound, that humbucker through some pedals, likely overdrive, compression, and EQ, for the electric sound, and possibly also a mic to pick up some of the percussion on the guitar top. All mixed together.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Mobilemike. Some guitar players list the pedals they use, but i couldn't find any info on her webpage.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Watching the video closely it appears also that there is some overdubbing happening and the video is sync-ed to line-up.

I don't think that was a single recorded performance.

I could be wrong but that's what it looked like to me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-07-2024, 10:33 AM

In her other video you can see that she uses Boss DS-1 Distortion and EHX 720 Stereo Looper pedals. And possibly some other ones.
Her Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 guitar (I think they now call this model FL2EC-BLBL-HUM) has also dual output so the humbucker pickup goes through the distortion pedal and the second channel is used for more acoustic and percussive sound.

Last edited by Monsum; 04-07-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

That’s the great thing about Cole Clark. Unrivaled percussive sounds, excellent acoustic tone and a balanced humbucker (going into a distorted amp) in that guitar as well.

She is also an excellent guitarist and knows how to get all of those sounds out of the instrument.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Fazool, for your observations.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Monsum--Dual outputs on an acoustic guitar I like that idea.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

AeroUSA--Do you know how/why the Cole Clark gets great percussive sounds? Is it the pickups?
Old 04-07-2024, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
AeroUSA--Do you know how/why the Cole Clark gets great percussive sounds? Is it the pickups?
Yes mostly the ‘face sensor’.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Aero.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:55 AM

She's using a looper for he solo at the end.

There's no drum machine. She's using her right hand for percussion.

Can't say how she gets that tone. It might include pedals, but it might also just be her guitar and amp.

Percussion guitar isn't what I like listening to, but it's all the rage right now. She's good.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Charlie for jumping in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification