The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Good to hear. I'm a wall hanger myself and while I'm disciplined enough to set up actual practice time, I know that I won't do the "grab a guitar and play one song" thing if it's in a case but would if it's on the wall. So what seems silly to you is a benefit to me.
If you revisit my initial post, I never said I thought hanging a guitar on the wall was silly. In fact, I said I had no opinion on it. From an aesthetic standpoint, a guitar hanging on a wall can look nice. What I said was that the idea that a cased instrument gets played less is silly to me based upon my experience. I suppose if taking a guitar out of its case ever gets so cumbersome that it impacts my motivation to play it, I’ll reconsider.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Actually there is a compromise. I keep my guitars in a humidity controlled case with a hinged close that locks. Except my case is vertical.

Oh and it's big enough for all my guitar. Oh, and it's a walk in "case", and I keep my furniture in there as well. What's the difference?

Seriously, Tico is spot on : it's all about preference and individual situations.

My guitar room/den is safer than cases in our home (and no one else's). They are safer in my den than in a case around my family and pets and lifestyle. This applies to no one else but me and no one else but me can judge that opinion.

So for me, and me only, wall hangers in a dedicated room is safer.

For other people, cases are safest, most convenient and best for them.

I'm not sure why people dig their heels in, establish extreme boundaries of behavior and declare everyone else as wrong, then argue like their moral compass is being threatened.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Aside from the humidity, I'm just scared the big one (or even the medium one) will hit the San Andreas or Hayward faults soon. I don't want to even think about the possible result to hanging guitars!
This was a very strong argument for someone in their situation. Well said.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM

I like the distraction that hangers provide me.

"I'm coming, honey. I know I came in here to grab an envelope but I accidentally started playing." - me in real life.

I'm the same way when cookies are on the counter instead of in the cupboard.

Last edited by RedJoker; 06-19-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'm not sure why people dig their heels in, establish extreme boundaries of behavior and declare everyone else as wrong, then argue like their moral compass is being threatened.
I must’ve missed where things got this contentious.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well it is funny how we all, sometimes sight what we assume are practical objective reasons but when we step back and truly objectively examine them, we sometimes find they are not as accurate as we think .
Consider that multiple guitars hanging on a wall actually take up a good bit more linear wall space, than the same number in case's stacked tightly against each other, on the same wall ......just sayin'
The floor space is needed for pianos, desk, amps, shelves, furniture, etc. Believe me, there is no space in the room for the 30+ cases. The instruments also need to be handy for lessons, recording, practices, etc. so it's more practical to keep them hung.

If I had half a dozen instruments for personal use only, I might just do the case thing, but not as it is.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Didn’t mean to sound mean

Last edited by colder; 06-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Actually there is a compromise. I keep my guitars in a humidity controlled case with a hinged close that locks. Except my case is vertical.

Oh and it's big enough for all my guitar. Oh, and it's a walk in "case", and I keep my furniture in there as well. What's the difference?

Seriously, Tico is spot on : it's all about preference and individual situations.

My guitar room/den is safer than cases in our home (and no one else's). They are safer in my den than in a case around my family and pets and lifestyle. This applies to no one else but me and no one else but me can judge that opinion.

So for me, and me only, wall hangers in a dedicated room is safer.

For other people, cases are safest, most convenient and best for them.

Just for fun, tell me how your guitars are “safer” on the wall than in the case.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
...A lot of these arguments are made with conviction but without actual scientific data.... If you have a properly humidified and environmentally controlled house/room, your guitar is much safer than putting it in and out of a case. ....
Alright Fazool, I'll bite. Where's your scientific data? I hear your conviction but where's the beef?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 AM

At home, leave 'em in the cases folks, leave them in the cases!!! That way you will never, never, ever have a guitar damaged by falling off a wall. Also they won't get knocked off a guitar stand by running dogs, or little ones interested in the instrument.

Lastly, if you had to get out of the house real fast (fire, flood, or tornado) you may not have the time to get the guitars off the wall and put them in their cases.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
The floor space is needed for pianos, desk, amps, shelves, furniture, etc. Believe me, there is no space in the room for the 30+ cases. The instruments also need to be handy for lessons, recording, practices, etc. so it's more practical to keep them hung.

If I had half a dozen instruments for personal use only, I might just do the case thing, but not as it is.
Ok that's what you perceive and what works for you personally. I was simply pointing out that what we perceive as "practical" is a subjective personal assessment and not an objective universal application. That's all, nothing more complex and nothing more implied.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
At home, leave 'em in the cases folks, leave them in the cases!!!
But what about the possibility of this?:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=353568
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
At home, leave 'em in the cases folks, leave them in the cases!!!
uh, nah no thanks

Some guitars
Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Personally I play instruments a lot when they're hanging on the wall. I try to have at least one of each type hanging around.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 AM

There appears to be three main considerations, safety, ease of access and humidity.

A guitar in a case is probably in a safer place than hanging on a wall or being on a stand.
A guitar on a wall or on a stand is much easier to grab than a guitar in a case.
A guitar on the wall, on a stand or in a case can be properly humidified with the appropriate amount of effort and monitoring.

Each person has to decide what works best for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion