The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You, sir, demonstrate the number one rule for electronic tuners. Folks with a good sense of pitch tune with an electronic tuner and then manually sweeten the note or notes that need correction based on the key you are playing in.

A tuner will fairly accurately get you to equal temperament tuning and then it's up to the player to "season to taste". As long as we're playing fretted instruments this will always be the case.
No, he actually demonstrated what you denied could be shown. Some more than others of course. Peterson isn’t the only one with great accuracy but comparing it to a $12 tuner probably isn’t a fair comparison.

And you’re right, all of them will get you close. They know it and they price their tuners appropriately.

There are many videos on the subject.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM

The folk who waste a lot of time tuning in between each song would probably become better performers if they'd switch to Snarks. Save the perfectionism for the studio, and keep the music flowing on the stage.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Sure, they work. Until they don’t.

How long, how well, that’s the difference.
Hi G-a-b

I have some that are 8 or 9 yrs old that work fine, never got sticky.

They are more fragile, but I keep them around my playing room for friends who drop in to play guitar to tune with. And I give them as gifts to new students of guitar, violin, etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
They work, and are good for quick and dirty. For recording, and anything important though, it's a Peterson StroboClip for me. Way more accurate.
Agree on both points above. And, I finally broke down and spent the extra coin on the Peterson. Really Excellent!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
The folk who waste a lot of time tuning in between each song would probably become better performers if they'd switch to Snarks. Save the perfectionism for the studio, and keep the music flowing on the stage.
You’re correct that Snarks (or most discount tuners) are all that’s needed for a stage performance where precise accuracy is often unnecessary.

Intonating a guitar, or recording a guitar, or playing in a quiet setting where one can hear nuances of tone, a precise tuner pays great dividends for some.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 PM

Did surgery on mine to attach with magnet for behind-the-scenes viewing. Works great. Intonation is perfect (2012 Martin HD-35)

Old 10-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Very interesting topic, I find it interesting the range of views about the Snark ,
I have a Snark super tight H.Z and I have to say its been excellent best clip on tuner I have used to date but I am a sucker when hen it comes to find a percent of improvement ,so I went on ebay and bought the strobo clip ,a second hand one not splashing full price to find out its no better or worse lol.i am interested in the sweet tuning ability the perterson has , I will report back as to what I think in a few days when it arrives

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion