The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-18-2020, 09:45 PM

Mike wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
Hi Wade, got your PM, thanks. It wasn't a matter of personal offense - you didn't owe me an apology.
Mike, as I mentioned to you in the last PM I sent, what I do whenever anyone seems offended or angry over something I've written is immediately go read through some of their posts from other threads, so I can try to determine the sort of personality the other person has.

Just briefly skimming through another person's posts can give you a fairly reliable snapshot of their personality, or at least the personality of the public persona that they want to project.

When someone is an egotistical blowhard, it's easy to see that right away (says the man who's been accused of that more than once.) When they're strident, aggressive, dismissive and quick to see insults when none are intended, that shows up.

One of the more difficult online personality types is what I call "the last honest man" syndrome, where the guy is being a jerk because only he - and he alone - is brave enough to tell the truth. Everyone who disagrees with him about anything must be cravenly trying to win approval from some indeterminate powers that be.

There was a guy like that on the UseNet acoustic guitar newsgroup rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic. Watching that guy foam at the mouth (so to speak) got SO tiresome, because no matter what anyone else said about anything, they were frontin' for the MAN, and our hero was the only one who wasn't blind and could discern the true path that everyone else should be taking.

Naturally he developed an intense dislike for me, because I wouldn't sing harmony and hum along to be a back up band for his fictions and stilted, profoundly misanthropic views.

Once I wrote a post describing a visit I'd made to the late, great music store Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island. They had the biggest selection of acoustic archtop guitars I'd ever SEEN. In that post I described how the Strombergs sounded when I played them, compared to the Gibsons and how both of those compared to the Epiphones.

He told me I was full of the four letter word we don't use on this forum. Because Strombergs sound THIS way and Gibsons sound THAT way and I was completely wrong about what I claimed I'd heard.

Because, clearly, I had sinister ulterior motives and was deliberately misleading all the poor innocent lambs on the newsgroup.

Mind you, he'd never played ANY of the guitars I mentioned, and admitted as much. But he'd read a book or magazine column by George Gruhn about these instruments that described their characteristics, and I'd gotten it wrong.

Because we've got such dedicated moderators on this forum, that extreme sort of online grandstanding is minimized. (Thank you thank you thank you thank you.) But no matter what you do, some folks just have that sort of congenital disdain leaking from all their pores, and - astonishingly - some of them are fairly intelligent people who know just what they can get away with. So they'll sometimes take things right to the very limit of what the moderators here will tolerate, and feel that they're being clever and triumphant when they do.

That's not you, Mike, or me or any of the genuine contributors to this forum. The droids I've described are actually pretty rare on this forum because - being contemptuous of others by sheer reflex - they dislike what they see as the petty restrictions keeping them from having their fun.

I'm just delighted that those guys are the minority here, though, and that the vast, overwhelming majority of participants on this forum are sincere, pleasant, knowledgeable and often downright hilarious contributors and part of a truly enriching exchange of information.

So thank you ALL for that.

To finish this post, I want to say that I don't care much for writing or reading posts that are more about forum mores and behavior than about the core subjects we've come here to discuss. Those posts are generally tedious and self-important, and who cares, anyway?

I definitely include my own posts on the subject in that description.

But I do think it's worth mentioning how positive and fulfilling the online culture of this particular forum really is, which is why I've written this enormous doorstop of a post.

-

-

Okay, so it's a virtual doorstop for a virtual door...

Anyway, I hope you all will forgive my rambling at such length, but because this forum does give so much back to us in terms of a feeling of community with our shared interests that I think it's helpful to stop every once and awhile and say that out loud.

Or type it out loud, as the case may be. It's a blessing, in every sense of the word.

This forum has done so much to keep my spirits up as they can be during this catastrophically depressing pandemic that I just needed to say as much.

Thanks again for providing such a great forum JR. You too, Kerbie and Tom and all the other even-tempered moderators who keep this forum so readable and enjoyable.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 10-18-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: It needed it.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:42 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Thanks, Dave - I'm a huge fan of The Fretboard Journal (FBJ) and intend to keep my subscription to it current until the day I die. It's really a wonderful publication.

To those of you who haven't read FBJ or never heard of it, it's really a superb magazine. A lot of the coverage is of quirky, non-mainstream musicians, music and musical instruments, but for me that's a lot of its appeal. More mainstream musical subjects get covered in every issue, too, but unlike virtually every other guitar-oriented publication I'm aware of, the more offbeat material doesn't get ignored or hidden in a spot where no one's likely to read it.

Plus, I've discovered that attractive members of the opposite sex swoon and fall instantly in love with you when you're an FBJ reader. Without you even mentioning that you read it.

That's if you're heterosexual, of course. If you're gay, it's good-looking members of your own gender that get drawn like moths to the flame whenever you come strolling by.

The folks in their newsroom don't like to advertise that, because they don't want people subscribing for that reason alone. If you were to call their office and ask publisher Jason Verlinde, he'd even deny it! But he doesn't want that information leaking out for fear of being deluged by troglodytes, peckerwoods and nitwits.

But the Fretboard Journal is an equal opportunity sexual attractant, trust me on that...

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton "Of Course I'm Not Making This Up!" Miller

I enjoy reading FBJ, but I think I must be doing something wrong, somehow.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 10-19-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Well, I guess I won't be subscribing to FBJ, because I've already had trouble keeping the women at bay. Why, every time I go to the park with my 6 mo. old grand daughter, they are attracted to me like flies on you know what.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I happened to come across this video by a young YouTuber named Sarah Jarosz.
This makes me chuckle...
Old 10-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
This makes me chuckle...
Me too. I have had a bit of a crush on this woman for quite some time now. That is indeed a fletcher brock OM she plays. And she's inspired me to search for an archtop octave.
Unfortunatly I couldnt go the 4 g's it takes to
Purchase a north field or a FBOM . And there isnt a whole lot of archtops (if any)that fill that 1000-2000 dollar range. So i bought one of these.Mine is a A 1956 Gibson tg-50. Which is a tenor guitar. My initial idea was to drill the headstock and switch out the tailpiece.
But I liked the instrument so much I left it alone. This is not me in the video.
The scale length is right around 23 in
There are several tunings one can use.
"Irish tuning" is OM.
If you play mandolin it's a small learning
Curve to up the scale length and make that
reach work. I've had alot of fun with it.
It's very well made and plays great all up and down the neck. Only thing I did was drill out
The endpin and installed a JJB. Sounds great plugged in. With a new HSC.. About 1100 invested.

Last edited by varmonter; 10-20-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:44 AM

That’s a glorious example of a tenor archtop, Var. Very cool 😎

whm
Old 10-20-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That’s a glorious example of a tenor archtop, Var. Very cool 😎

whm
Hey Wade...have you come across Sierra Hull yet? Another young lady who is a monster mando player (and is now starting to play guitar) singer and songwriter. Its great to see some of these young gals stepping forward. Sierra has the potential to make it big....
Old 10-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Sierra Hull and Molly Tuttle together is magical. Both could outplay 95% when they were 12.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Hi Wade

Is it possible that Sarah’s octave mandola/bouzouki family instrument is a ‘Nugget’? Tim O’Brien plays a similar instrument made by ‘Nugget’ & also a mandolin by the same maker but if memory serves me correct his instrument has no scratch plate.

Cheers

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I happened to come across this video by a young YouTuber named Sarah Jarosz. She's got a good voice, and a couple of high end musical instruments in view: there's a Collings guitar on a stand behind her, and she's playing what took me a minute to realize is an octave mandolin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAcu5g8AMEs

Here's a picture of her playing it onstage. She's got her clip on tuner covering the logo, dag nabbit!

Sarah Jarosz

It's clearly a high quality instrument; it's got a Monteleone mandolin family tailpiece on it, which I have on a few of my mandolins. But search as I might, I still haven't caught a glimpse of the headstock logo.

There's a good possibility that it was built by Fletcher Brock, who builds magnificent archtops, mandolins and other mandolin family instruments. He uses a similar art deco adornment on some of his headstocks, and this looks like one of his.

As it happened, I met Fletcher at the first Healdsburg Guitar Festival I attended in 2001, and actually watched his booth for him while he disappeared for a meal and, apparently, a ˙ L O N G ˙ stroll around the grounds. Nice guy, terrific builder, but not a gung ho sales guy, not in the slightest.

For those of you old enough to remember the late 1960's, his mother is Alice Brock, the Alice of "Alice's Restaurant" fame.

Anyway, while this instrument might be a Brock, I'm just curious as to whether any of you all can spot what it actually is.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me on this.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: The alert among us will notice that there's a Collings F-5 style mandolin behind her onstage, too. I wish that I had had such fine instruments when I was gigging out at her age!!

Hey, that's cool - no Marxist-Leninist working class resentment here. If you can afford fine instruments, you might as well use them.
Hi again Wade

Please disregard my last post about the Nugget. According to the internet Sarah plays a Fletcher Brock as you surmised.
Good spot!

Cheers

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:18 PM

In addition to which, I don’t think the gentleman who builds or built Nugget mandolins is currently active.

We’d have to check with the folks at mandolincafe.com to find out for certain, but that’s definitely the impression I’ve received.

whm
Old 12-01-2020, 02:32 PM

Here you go CoolCats.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:00 AM

I saw her playing this first on one of the 2013 transatlantic session videos - or maybe it was this one, don't quite remember.

There's quite a few videos of her playing it, and I even saw her playing it with I'm With Her when they came to my town.

I fell in love with it's sound so much, but I'm not a mando player at all. As it's similar to an archtop it sent me down yet another guitar rabbit hole and I came out with a Loar lh-700. No, it's not the same but that's where I ended up.

Anyway, its a stunning instrument, she's an amazing artist.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments