The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Motorized a Rotary Engine for my Eindekker WW1 One fighter .

https://youtu.be/IGKMmJYWgBY
Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice job!

It's so funny that the Germans used the ~70hp Oberursel U.0 engine which was a license-built copy of the French Gnome 7 Lambda engine, which was in some of the Fighters planes the German fighters fought against. I wonder if the license payments lapsed during the war?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM

I think such legal niceties went by the wayside dyribg the war.They tried a 14 cylinder engine,but the increased weight compromised performance.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Made the landing gear out if brass bar stock.The wheeks are tempoary.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Ummmm... A radial engine, right?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Ummmm... A radial engine, right?
Don't think so Growler,back then they used "Rotary" engines in which the engine spun and the crankshaft stayed still, Radials do the opposite.

My grand dead was killed by a bomb dropped from a Gotha bomber in June 1917.It went through the roof and exploded in a office with him and about twenty young lady typists who worked for him.

My Dad was six at the time and saw all the gruesome details from across the street.

Nevertheless Ive always been fascinated by WW1 aircraft.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Don't think so Growler,back then they used "Rotary" engines in which the engine spun and the crankshaft stayed still, Radials do the opposite.

My grand dead was killed by a bomb dropped from a Gotha bomber in June 1917.It went through the roof and exploded in a office with him and about twenty young lady typists who worked for him.

My Dad was six at the time and saw all the gruesome details from across the street.

Nevertheless Ive always been fascinated by WW1 aircraft.
I stand corrected. I watched again and it was going round. I should have paid closer attention. I've seen people use this wrong and jumped to conclusions ("it's a long swim back").

I'm more used to rotary engines being midship propelling the rear wheels.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:05 AM

The pilots controlled the engine by turning the ignition on and off and with that monster spinning mass on the front of the aircraft quickly realized the meaning of "gyroscopic effect" as they screamed across the sky doing 100 mph. We seem to have worked out the bugs and have way better war machines now! Just what is it these various countries want to "win" anyway? Jeeze, it doesn't take long to get into political trouble,----- forum wise!

Fog
Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, and just as a point of interest, we've got a couple of these functional engines living down the road from us. There's a museum where they either restore planes (WWII) or reconstruct them (WWI) and fly them. There are over thirty types from both wars including four repro Fokker DR.1 Dreideckers and an E.111 (variant of the Eindecker). There's a Rotex replica rotary in one of the DR.1s. They don't mention that Werner Voss' blue Dr.1 is also modeled.

MORE

Bob

Old 08-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Yes when I turn on the motor it cranks to the right.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:58 AM

I decided to use one of those Lipo stick batteries because it fit inside of the fuselage,barely,produces good power,added the tail too!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Made the machine gun out of aluminum tubing and plastic.

Last edited by philo426; 08-23-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, and just as a point of interest, we've got a couple of these functional engines living down the road from us. There's a museum where they either restore planes (WWII) or reconstruct them (WWI) and fly them. There are over thirty types from both wars including four repro Fokker DR.1 Dreideckers and an E.111 (variant of the Eindecker). There's a Rotex replica rotary in one of the DR.1s. They don't mention that Werner Voss' blue Dr.1 is also modeled.

MORE

Bob
looks like a great collection Bob, I have been to two great collections and flying days at The Shuttleworth collection:

http://www.shuttleworth.org/the-collection/

and The Imperial War Museum :

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

I live in the south-east of England so we are surrounded with a host of small fighter airfields (or at least the sites of them).

One of them which has a small museum was where the Lysanders used to load up SOE operatives, (Special Operations Executive - alternatively termed the "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare") to be dropped in occupied France, Netherlands etc.

So many great, talented, courageous people and so few who got home again, although I did have the pleasure of knowing and interviewing one).
Old 08-24-2018, 12:01 PM

è
Old 08-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
looks like a great collection Bob, I have been to two great collections and flying days at The Shuttleworth collection:

http://www.shuttleworth.org/the-collection/

and The Imperial War Museum :

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

I live in the south-east of England so we are surrounded with a host of small fighter airfields (or at least the sites of them).

One of them which has a small museum was where the Lysanders used to load up SOE operatives, (Special Operations Executive - alternatively termed the "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare") to be dropped in occupied France, Netherlands etc.

So many great, talented, courageous people and so few who got home again, although I did have the pleasure of knowing and interviewing one).
It is great to see a Lysander flying. They were such interesting planes - I class them as so ugly they are cute!

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic