The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Whiskey Myers and Blackberry Smoke (bands).

Anyone ever hear of the southern rock bands Whiskey Myers and Blackberry Smoke? I had never heard of them before but somehow stumbled across them a few days ago on YouTube.

Amazing bands! Can't believe I've never heard them on the radio before. Going to check their tour schedules and hope things align somehow.

Another band I found when googling the two above are the Turnpike Troubadours - and they're great too.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Not heard of Whiskey Myers but have a Blackberry Smoke CD, and I like some of the stuff they do.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 07-29-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 AM

Yes, we were introduced to Blackberry Smoke when they opened for ZZ Top at the Hard Rock Rocksino, near Cleveland a couple of years ago. We all agreed that they pretty much blew ZZ Top off the stage. Sadly, ZZ Top has become very robotic and at least that night appeared to be going through the motions.
Getting back to Blackberry Smoke, we learned that they have been around for about ten years or so out of the Atlanta area. They have a resemblance to the Black Crows in some respects musically. The thing with them is they haven't had a mainstream hit record and that's always a problem.
As an aside, Lee and I do "Pretty Little Lie" and "One Horse Town" when we play gigs. Great band!
I've heard some stuff by the other two bands you mentioned as well and like them both.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Love the One Horse Town and have replayed that song 10 times. I can't remember the last time I replayed a song so many times. The harmonies and rhythm playing by the second gentleman are so fantastic. Many other good tunes.

I hope they make it big, and I hope they tour CA.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yes, we were introduced to Blackberry Smoke when they opened for ZZ Top at the Hard Rock Rocksino, near Cleveland a couple of years ago. We all agreed that they pretty much blew ZZ Top off the stage. Sadly, ZZ Top has become very robotic and at least that night appeared to be going through the motions.
Getting back to Blackberry Smoke, we learned that they have been around for about ten years or so out of the Atlanta area. They have a resemblance to the Black Crows in some respects musically. The thing with them is they haven't had a mainstream hit record and that's always a problem.
As an aside, Lee and I do "Pretty Little Lie" and "One Horse Town" when we play gigs. Great band!
I've heard some stuff by the other two bands you mentioned as well and like them both.
Yep, there's a Black Crowes flavor on some of their songs. I remember buying the Black Crowes first cassette when it originally came out but I'm not much of a fan.

Cool that you gig some of Blackberry Smoke's tunes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN