The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Gibson L5 - 1934 reissue.......?

I have the opportunity to purchase one of these used, but am unable to try it due to distance.
Does anyone here own one, or has played one, and can make any pertinent observations? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Are they as good as some reviews say, or does the quality/sound vary like the stock Gibson models?
My anticipated use would be for some Atkins picking (acoustic only,) and to try some gypsy jazz style playing.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Voilą
http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...sue-video.html

I have some good audio clips too that I could share if you need 'em. PM me.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks for your reply and for the links, Roger. Your '34 sounds nice on your youtube demo. Have you played several or just yours? Do you think 12s or 11s would work ok, I have some arthritis and can't play the heavier 13s?
The one I'm interested in is at Chelsea Guitars in NY, so, as I'm UK based I can't get to try it!
Difficult to buy without trying.

Peter
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi Peter,

I also bought mine without trying it. It was in Hawaii - even farther from me than New York is from you! I doubt I'd have the chance to play several, even given a lifetime. These are not exactly common instruments. I figured I had a rare opportunity to grab the one I did off Ebay, and I'm glad I took the chance.

Scale length is under 25", so I have 13-56 phosphor bronze strings on mine, and they are looser feeling than the 12-54 set on my full scale (25.5") 1947 L-5N. I do think the guitar likes heavier strings, as was the norm "back then," but 12's would be OK too. I wouldn't go lower on any acoustic archtop.

The demo I posted on YouTube gives a decent idea of the guitar's sound and versatility. I think Gibson really succeeded in building a brand new "old" guitar. The vibe and quality are tremendous. If you go for it, please post a follow-up.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Just been told by Chelsea Guitars, its been sold.......oh well.
Have to keep looking for another. There is a s/h Vanden in a local music shop..........hmmm!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM

rpguitar -

Good stuff! Very nice Gibson, what a beautiful guitar all around in sound and finish.

I'd like to get one of these one day.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Bananafist: There is a natural 1934 reissue on eBay right now, though it is more than the one at Chelsea's was listed for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-L5N-2004-...item4cf4418fce

rpguitar: Thanks for posting that, the guitar and your playing both sounded wonderful. I too was watching that auction on eBay but just didn't feel that I was in the position to pull the trigger. I'm glad that you were, and that I finally got to hear it!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks man. Yes, I actually made an offer on that blond '34 RI but it was summarily rejected. I prefer the more authentic Cremona Brown finish anyway.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Hey, I see where rpguitar has a solomon guitar on order. I have one. It's an 18" Grand American Archtop, and I love it. I played it on the Hand Made Music CD. Great guitar maker and super great guy.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Gibson L5 Reissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafist View Post
Just been told by Chelsea Guitars, its been sold.......oh well.
Have to keep looking for another. There is a s/h Vanden in a local music shop..........hmmm!
Bananafist:

I hadn't seen this thread until just today or I would have posted here earlier.

I am the guy who bought that guitar from Chelsea. I bought it on 1-13-11. I live just outside of NYC so I had the advantage of going there and picking it up. I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound, but I thought if you were interested in what I can now tell you about it, and my own personal travails regarding finding one of these, you could contact me.

I will tell you that, after searching for almost 3 months myself, when I got an email from someone telling me Chelsea had one, I jumped on it very quickly. You had no time to think about it, so don't have regrets... It's a great guitar, but it was not completely issue-free. For details, email me. crothman AT optonline DOT net
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM

I hate to throw cold H2O on this fine Gibson L5 1934 reissue. But although I love the looks of an f-hole guitar and much prefer that style when electrified, to me they sound acoustically like a cheap laminate top dreadnought. Can't be my ears, I've played and listened to a lot of guitars over the last 50 years. Starting with my Dad's 1938 L5. Compared to a good dread they just sound dead. What am I missing here? Does anyone play jazz on a dreadnought?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laocmo View Post
I hate to throw cold H2O on this fine Gibson L5 1934 reissue. But although I love the looks of an f-hole guitar and much prefer that style when electrified, to me they sound acoustically like a cheap laminate top dreadnought. Can't be my ears, I've played and listened to a lot of guitars over the last 50 years. Starting with my Dad's 1938 L5. Compared to a good dread they just sound dead. What am I missing here? Does anyone play jazz on a dreadnought?
For many, different styles of music demand different tonal qualities. I agree that good flattops (which is what i think you mean as opposed to 'dreadnaught' which is a guitar size) are more resonant and warm, but there is a place for acoustic archtops. I own over 20 guitars, 5 of them high end Martins and 1 of them a high quality gypsy guitar. But i really get a kick out of that '34 L5 Reissue. It has its unique voice and is warmer and more interesting than your comment implies.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 PM

Jazz on a dreadnought ?

Gabor Szabo

Last edited by bohemian; 04-25-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM

"What am I missing ? "

No offense meant to the poster but.... technique
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Just to interject, no matter how you perceive the tone of an archtop like this, if you're not going to electrify it, in order for it to truly sound the way it is designed and voiced to sound, it helps greatly to use at least medium gauge strings, and/or heavy gauge if you can find them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops