The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 AM

I'm glad you were able to return something you didn't necessarily like, and I agree with the fact that many "guitar rooms" at music stores are used to enhance the sound of these instruments.

With that said, don't drink the Koolaide in regards to factory Taylor set up. I am a big Taylor fan, and I have always heard that Taylors sound good right out of the box...which I'm sure is true in a lot of cases. However, when I got my Taylor GC8 out of the box for the first time, it sounded like an absolute dud. It wasn't until I was able to have my preferred guitar guy set it up and a new set of Elixer PB Nano's that it really came alive. The difference before and after setup is night and day.

This may be an apples/oranges comparison because you tried yours out in the store first and liked it, took it home and didn't like it, and took it back. Even still, I wanted to let you know that my experience with the Taylor factory set-up wasn't that great.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Another thing is to try playing it in different rooms in the house.

Some rooms (like the bathroom) are super live. Others like a carpeted living room full of upholstered furniture, quality curtains, soft chairs, blankets/quilts, and even tapestry rugs can feel pretty “dead” by comparison.

So for example - a guitar that projects well may feel particularly dull and quiet to the player in a room like the living room... Where a listener in this same room may be running for cover because you are playing so loud....

On the other hand - a guitar that doesn’t project as well - but surrounds the player in sound will be perceived by the player as a much “better” guitar in that non- reflective space.... but a listener will have a very different perception:..
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Default Maybe,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
There is something about the way a guitar feels and sounds in a store, only to feel and sound different when you get it home. Have you ever noticed that the walls of many guitar stores' acoustic room are paneled with wood (many of them Cedar, I think). Does they create an acoustic environment to make instruments sound better than they might when you get them home?
Another reason might be that cedar is soft, and less likely to scratch the back of a guitar hanging on it.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here.
When I buy a guitar it is after a lot of comparison shopping.
This included bringing my favorite guitar with me.
Likewise, I've never returned a guitar after sampling, playing and purchasing. The high-tension is very contrary to short-scale guitars in general. However don't be upset or disappointed if they don't let you return the guitar. Many times, once you've modified a guitar from factory specs - filed the nut, changed strings... rendering it other than "new factory condition" returns are not allowed.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Likewise, I've never returned a guitar after sampling, playing and purchasing. The high-tension is very contrary to short-scale guitars in general. However don't be upset or disappointed if they don't let you return the guitar. Many times, once you've modified a guitar from factory specs - filed the nut, changed strings... rendering it other than "new factory condition" returns are not allowed.
The in store luthier did it. I'm not worried about that part. A slight truss rod adj, very slight nut filing (to factory spec) and a new set of strings (elixers, as specified by the manufacturer) are nothing that would effect the ability to return it.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Ever buy one you think is special only to return it?
Like many, I suppose, I always wanted a Gibson J-45. I finally sprung for one - a used custom shop model. Unfortunately, this was some time after I had picked up a jumbo Guild F-50R. It's an unfair comparison, but the dread J-45 didn't come close to the jumbo. After a few weeks, I sold the J-45 for about what I paid for it.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 AM

I got an update on this. So I took it back to the dealer. I really wanted to play an OM-28. He doesn't have one, but should be getting a 2018 mid September. He told me just to hang on to the 322ce until it comes in and a return would be no problem. I guess it's his way of getting me to wait and not buy one somewhere else.

While I had it there, the luthier wanted to see how the truss rod was settling in. He made a few more minor adjustments. I don't know if the guitar is settling in, or it is breaking me in, but the playability is much improved now. I still don't know if it is a keeper, but I am enjoying playing it a lot more now. It seems a little brighter too, which is an improvement. It's an interesting guitar, not what I consider the typical "Taylor" sound.

As of now, I kind of see this guitar like I see Chinese food. I don't want it every day, but once in a while, it really hits the spot.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Besides trying different strings. You could have the set-up looked at by a real luthier not a store guitar tech. Your string action could still be too high.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion