The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I have a Sennheiser wireless unit and I love it. No issues. I use the Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I bought the Xvive U2 system several months ago and I've been playing and gigging with it a ton. I have yet to have any problems with it. Note you cannot use it with active pickup systems though. You'll get a high pitched squeal. They are made for use with passive pickups. On my K&K guitars they work great.

We play out every weekend in crowded restaurants with wifi and cell phones galore and I have yet to suffer any problems. I love the freedom to walk around, not get tangled up in cables/cords and to be able to walk around the venue to check sound levels or just to interact with people. People seem to love that interaction as well.
I didn’t know that! Three of my guitars are K&K. Come to think of it, when it worked fine I was playing one with a K&k. Thank you! Ill keep mine.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 AM

I tried the Xvive system and found it unusable - Noisy and unreliable wifi link. I also tried the Line6 G10. It works well with my electric guitar but unfortunately not with my electro-acoustic Martin because it generates a whining high-pitched noise.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I didn’t know that! Three of my guitars are K&K. Come to think of it, when it worked fine I was playing one with a K&k. Thank you! Ill keep mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I tried the Xvive system and found it unusable - Noisy and unreliable wifi link. I also tried the Line6 G10. It works well with my electric guitar but unfortunately not with my electro-acoustic Martin because it generates a whining high-pitched noise.
Yes, I found this out the hard way when I ordered a guitar with an LR Baggs Element system and got this awful whine. Then I read the ad for it closely and saw that it clearly stated in the Features box that, "The U2 fit all string instruments with passive pickups. Not for active pickups."

Also, note that there are four channels on the U2 so if you do get interference then you should/can cycle through the four frequencies to see if you can find one where there is none. I have never had to do this but it's there.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I also tried the Line6 G10. It works well with my electric guitar but unfortunately not with my electro-acoustic Martin because it generates a whining high-pitched noise.
Thats interesting - I've never had any noise problem with the G10 - could it have been some kind of feedback problem?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Line6 G50 - had it since it came out, used it in so many different places, dive bars, dive coffee shops, Hotel Ballrooms, Country Club Dining rooms, nice bars and nice coffee houses - Never an issue, never a drop out - just years of flawless service and great tone - electric or acoustic. There is something brewing in the wireless mic arena - ​If you are using wireless systems that operate in the 600MHz range of frequencies, the FCC has sold these frequencies and has stated that all wireless microphone systems that operate in the 600MHz band must STOP BEING USED no later than July 13, 2020.
These wireless systems will begin to experience interference prior to July 2020 as the sold frequencies are brought online during and after 2017. This includes interference, signal dropouts, decreased operating range, undesired noise, and FAILURE.
Several wireless microphone manufacturers are offering rebates (up to $500 per channel) on the purchase of new systems with the trade in of any system operating in the 600MHz band.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I bought the Xvive U2 system several months ago and I've been playing and gigging with it a ton. I have yet to have any problems with it. Note you cannot use it with active pickup systems though. You'll get a high pitched squeal. They are made for use with passive pickups. On my K&K guitars they work great.
I have the Xvive and the NUX B2. Both are very similar. The NUX costs slightly less. Both have excellent response time and no interference...and of course, super convenient.

The Xvive as mentioned by Methos, does not work with active pickups. The NUX works just fine.

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Xvive works with some active pickups. It depends how close the preamp is to the transmitter.

Xvive also sounds best to me and is very reliable although it does introduce a little background noise and one of mine failed after the first 12 months. I’d get one from GC or Amazon with a protection plan. Also there may be a new model out in the Summer...
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 AM

I use the shure pgxd14 digital , sounds great . My advise is got to digital if your wireless.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Yes I have the $1000 Shure QLX-D and it’s the absolute best for audio quality and reliability but it’s also very expensive and bulky.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I'm exposed to enough Electromagnetic Radition. No thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-09-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
I must bought the A-T system 10 stomp. Will be gigging with it on Friday. Will report back.
It worked perfectly. I play in a band with 5 wireless microphones, 6 wireless in ears, and at least one other wireless instrument set up on stage. There is also a wifi router on stage that runs the presonus mixer.

I was the only one running 2.4 GHz digital. The rest of the systems are in the TV band. I had no dropouts, no interference, no problems at all. Very happy camper.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Xvive works with some active pickups. It depends how close the preamp is to the transmitter.

Xvive also sounds best to me and is very reliable although it does introduce a little background noise and one of mine failed after the first 12 months. I’d get one from GC or Amazon with a protection plan. Also there may be a new model out in the Summer...
That's not much of a positive review. I tried two U2 wireless systems and both were pure junk. They both had issues with background noise (even on passive pickups), they were unusable with active systems and they randomly cut out. I would go Line 6 G10.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I like the G10 but when using the 1/4” out it reduces treble.

The Xvive is my favorite all round system for convenience and sound but YMMV with wireless gear.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM

I just got the NUX B-2 wireless guitar system last weekend.

I'm happy to report that it worked great with my Taylor ES-2 equipped acoustics (2017 312ce & 2017 322ce).

It worked great with the Taylor GS Mini, which has a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic.

It did not work well with my Taylor 324, with has an LR Baggs Lyric. A high pitched whine was present, no matter what I did. It wasn't feedback, it was a whine.

I did get a couple of very-quick dropouts when using this unit - even though I was only a few feet away from the receiver.

BTW, I was using a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification