The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Buzz On D notes new Yamaha trans acoustic

I have a new transacoustic and noticed that when I pluck open D string, there is a brief buzz which quickly dissipates. I also notice it happens when I fret a D note at the 5th fret on the A string. It doesn't occur on any other frets or strings or notes. It sounds like it is coming from inside the soundhole. I wonder if it is some type of resonant frequency with the electronics inside, or perhaps the battery compartment? I thought it might be at the saddle but I checked it and it's still happening.

The buzz is not fret buzz.

Anyone experience something similar? It is very annoying.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Definitely remove any batteries and or compartments, play the guitar in different held positions to see if it increases or decreases the issue.

It is not uncommon to get a sympathetic vibration of something, it could be as simple as a loose component (battery), or a string ball end, or it could be a symptom of something needing some more work like a broken / loose brace

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Problem solved! Indeed, it was the battery compartment. There is a small metal plate at the end of the battery housing that makes contact. I took two very thin strips of black electrical tape and located them in either side of the round metal contact point, pressing down gently with a sm making sure not to obscure the round metal piece. It's a big improvement. Thanks for the tip mirwa.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

So the damping with the tape did not solve the problem entirely. Looks like it’s the spring inside the battery compartment housing that is the cause according to tech at GC.

I am awaiting warranty authorization from Yamaha to get it fixed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair