The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Avoid that guitar with the damage. The cracks near the bridge are scary sounding. This guitar could easily be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't recommend a present being made of damaged goods, and I know your heart is in the right place here. You have better options.

Someone already mentioned the Yamahas. Those are very popular low-priced models. They have laminate tops but they are not junk.

Your other excellent option is a Breedlove c250. These are $299 new and if you go to GC you should have no trouble getting it for $250. It's a FANTASTIC guitar made well and sounds very good.

So yeah, avoid the Tanglewood and consider a Breedlove or Yamaha. In my personal opinion these are the very best options I've played under $400.
I agree with the Breedlove suggestion. I have the C250 -sounds fantastic for the money and I play it almost as much as my $2K Breedlove.

Nothing like getting the gift on Christmas, so if you buy it at GC and it doesn't do it for him, I believe you get 30 days for a full refund or exchange.

Happy Holidays

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Hey LNR103

Check these folks out. Great reputation and they do have a few guitars in your price range (Recording king). They are about the same distance as Durham, just to the west.

http://harryandjeaniewest.com/

And make sure the young ones get lullabies.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Avoid that guitar with the damage. The cracks near the bridge are scary sounding. This guitar could easily be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't recommend a present being made of damaged goods, and I know your heart is in the right place here. You have better options.

Someone already mentioned the Yamahas. Those are very popular low-priced models. They have laminate tops but they are not junk.

Your other excellent option is a Breedlove c250. These are $299 new and if you go to GC you should have no trouble getting it for $250. It's a FANTASTIC guitar made well and sounds very good.

So yeah, avoid the Tanglewood and consider a Breedlove or Yamaha. In my personal opinion these are the very best options I've played under $400.
The Yamaha models I quoted have solid tops from what I gather.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
Wow. Thank you everyone.....

He's not very particular about material items (unless it's his skies...of course. Skiing is his thing)

I do love the idea of having it under the tree but I'm also very much aware that he might prefer picking it out himself. Mostly I'm concerned that if I give him cash he will feel he needs to put it towards bills. If I gift him the actual guitar he'll keep it.
Skiing is my thing too... We'll, now I need to add guitars too. And maybe golf...

Anyway!

I'm a family man and if I was given cash it surely would go to something for the house and kids. With that said, even though my partner plays guitar, I'm not sure she could pick one out for me.

Is there a trusted dealer close by that could make a reasonable guess with an exchange policy?

Our sponsors are all fantastic, but not sure that would work.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
I agree with the Breedlove suggestion. I have the C250 -sounds fantastic for the money and I play it almost as much as my $2K Breedlove.

Nothing like getting the gift on Christmas, so if you buy it at GC and it doesn't do it for him, I believe you get 30 days for a full refund or exchange.

Happy Holidays
Ditto the Breed. People love these guitars
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 AM

Personally, I would rather My significant other, If I were married, would say to me. Let's go pick out a guitar for your birthday. Guitars are like clothes, they are never the right color, and never fit right, and are never the right style.

Dan
Old 12-17-2014, 02:45 AM

I will go against the grain here and say that for a beginner (or someone who hasnt played for a very long time), any *decent* guitar will do for the first year or two. One is generally not the wiser, and GAS sets in sooner or later anyway. I would suggest to get a nice guitar with a good return policy, AND an "easy guitar" book with chord diagrams for children songs.

As a father who experienced the special bond with my baby which music can create, I wholeheartedly applaud your venture. My daughter is now 8 and we play and sing together often. Best of luck!

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I don't know Tanglewood. But I Googled this

According to this none of the Tanglewoods are worth that much new.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Since Raleigh and Durham are being thrown out as options, I'll mention a shop in Concord NC. Mullis Music always treated me well when I lived in there. You're about an hour and half away so it's a touch farther than Raleigh or Durham.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Do not just "X" that guitar off the list - "X" out the seller too.

Blatant misrepresentation of the value of the Tanglewood new. If someone lies about one thing they will lie about everything.

I think that you should take him shopping and make a day of it. Give him the money towards what he wants. A Gift Certificate will rope him into having to buy whatever that particular store has in stock or sells.

Some pretty doggone good guitars out there for 400-500 bucks. Some makers even have ALL SOLID wood models at that price.

Good luck and enjoy shopping.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM

As someone who has received 3 instruments as Xmas gifts from my wife, I'd recommend the cash/gift certificate idea as well.
My wife learned, through repetition, that she doesn't have the knowledge to purchase something I will really use.
The first - Rogue mandolin, now sell for about 60% of what she paid when she bought it. doesn't sound too good at all.
The 2nd - she lucked out on this one, an acoustic/electric Luna uke, sounds ok, but I don't have much use for it.
The 3rd (Xmas 2012) was a no-name banjo from an ebay store. The tuners literally would not hold - pluck a string and they would wind down! Only cost the shipping to return for credit. She gave me the cash once she got the refund and that went towards my taylor - which gets played almost every day.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 AM

If it's supposed to be a surprise, I don't think you'd be doing him a disservice to purchase a nice Yamaha with a solid top and laminated back/sides.

There are plenty to choose from that are within the $375 budget you have quoted.

Have someone at the shop tune it up and play it for you. Purchase one that is new, and can be returned in case he hates it. (Which he won't.)

The three primary concerns you have purchasing a guitar at that price point: is the action low? does it hold tune? does it have a solid top?

If you can answer yes to all three then that's a good enough guitar to get him through until he either quits or wants a way better one.

Also, purchase him a couple variety packs of picks and a clip on tuner.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:53 AM

What a nice thing to do for your husband!

There are a number of makers who have guitars that will suit this need, in your price range. Yamaha is one that is a very safe, good bet, and they have guitars you can get for $200. The last time a parent asked me what guitar he should get for $200 for his teenager, I showed him the Guitar Center website and the Yamaha FG700S and said, "Buy that one." He did, and she loves it. As with every other Yamaha FG, it is a nice guitar. She will probably never need another one.

Some things to look for on the specs:
1-a solid soundboard made of spruce or cedar or mahogany. Laminated soundboards don't tend to sound as good as solid ones. Laminated sides and backs are not a concern at this point.
2-tuners that turn smoothly and are not chromed plastic - they will feel and look like solid, quality pieces of machine worked metal.
3-I suggest either a Dreadnaught or a Folk size guitar. The Dreadnaught is what most people think of when they think "acoustic guitar". The folk size is a bit smaller and may be easier to play for some people.

Good luck!
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 12-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Do you have a single sister?
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnez13 View Post
Since Raleigh and Durham are being thrown out as options, I'll mention a shop in Concord NC. Mullis Music always treated me well when I lived in there. You're about an hour and half away so it's a touch farther than Raleigh or Durham.
I have also heard good things about Mullis Music in Concord. I heard he was big in vintage Martin's and Gibson's?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, damage, guitar buying, repair, tanglewood