The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Default How much is too much damage?

How much damage is too much?

I'm trying to buy my husband a guitar for Christmas. He played in college but has only picked up a guitar a handful of times since we've met. He's 34 now and we have a soon-to-be 2yo son who is captivated by the guitar (and another son due in 2mos). My husband has been hinting on wanting to start playing again so I thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift.

I don't have much to spend and really don't want an all laminate plastic piece of junk. I don't know much about guitars but I recognize when I hear sound quality I love - rich, full bodied, well balanced sound that resonates with a person. Not that tinny twang I hear from some guitars without that depth of sound.

I was at a local music shop this morning that pointed me to a damaged TW15H Tanglewood Ill
He told me it's solid wood construction with ebony and bone. Sounds beautiful. I believe it was a dreadnought. (Sorry if I sound naive...picture a hugely pregnant lady shopping in a guitar shop with a toddler. I assure you we look as naive as I might sound). The problem is that the TW15H Tanglewood Ill is damaged.

If I can post photos here I will.

I'm afraid the damage is more extreme than superficial. Supposedly it happened from one fall. The bottom side has a hole that's been repaired and the face/soundboard has two cracks below the bridge on either side.

The owner has repaired the damage. Says it was his own guitar and he loved it but a friend dropped it soon after it's purchase and despite being repaired he gets upset whenever he sees it and no longer wants it around to remind him. The damage is quite visible but it sounds lovely. My question is how much damage is too much? Will it hold a tuning etc? He told me it's a 3000k guitar and is asking $375 for it. I only saved $200 to buy a guitar which I realize is laughable for a decent one. I'm thinking of putting the rest on a credit card if I can find out it's worth it. Can anyone help advise me here? The shop says he'll back the guitar for a year.

The other option he suggested was a Sammick - Greg Bennett (which I've never heard of) for $250
Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Surprises are nice, but how about a gift certififcate, AND a planned outing together? He can pick out what he likes, and share the fun with you!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Surprises are nice, but how about a gift certififcate, AND a planned outing together? He can pick out what he likes, and share the fun with you!
This would be best.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
How much damage is too much?

I'm trying to buy my husband a guitar for Christmas. He played in college but has only picked up a guitar a handful of times since we've met. He's 34 now and we have a soon-to-be 2yo son who is captivated by the guitar (and another son due in 2mos). My husband has been hinting on wanting to start playing again so I thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift.

I don't have much to spend and really don't want an all laminate plastic piece of junk. I don't know much about guitars but I recognize when I hear sound quality I love - rich, full bodied, well balanced sound that resonates with a person. Not that tinny twang I hear from some guitars without that depth of sound.

I was at a local music shop this morning that pointed me to a damaged TW15H Tanglewood Ill
He told me it's solid wood construction with ebony and bone. Sounds beautiful. I believe it was a dreadnought. (Sorry if I sound naive...picture a hugely pregnant lady shopping in a guitar shop with a toddler. I assure you we look as naive as I might sound). The problem is that the TW15H Tanglewood Ill is damaged.

If I can post photos here I will.

I'm afraid the damage is more extreme than superficial. Supposedly it happened from one fall. The bottom side has a hole that's been repaired and the face/soundboard has two cracks below the bridge on either side.

The owner has repaired the damage. Says it was his own guitar and he loved it but a friend dropped it soon after it's purchase and despite being repaired he gets upset whenever he sees it and no longer wants it around to remind him. The damage is quite visible but it sounds lovely. My question is how much damage is too much? Will it hold a tuning etc? He told me it's a 3000k guitar and is asking $375 for it. I only saved $200 to buy a guitar which I realize is laughable for a decent one. I'm thinking of putting the rest on a credit card if I can find out it's worth it. Can anyone help advise me here? The shop says he'll back the guitar for a year.

The other option he suggested was a Sammick - Greg Bennett (which I've never heard of) for $250
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Personally I wouldn't buy him the guitar you describe. If it's been dropped and has the pretty extensive damage you identify, I'd be conscious of it not only being a difficult guitar to start back out on, but one which is likely to present issues down the line. Plus, with all respect, do you really want to give him a broken Christmas present?

Personally I wouldn't write off laminate guitars. What about ones with a solid top, are there any in your price range?

The gift voucher idea is a good one as he will almost certainly want to play any guitar he buys. He might not want a dreadnought, plus he might want to contribute some of his own money to buy a pricier model.

By the way "3000k" is $3 million! Think you meant $3k in the OP.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Posting photos is pretty easy really if you have them on your computer/tablet/phone... you just email the picture to [email protected] and it will email you back a link... copy that link and paste it into the message and there is the picture! Easy Pezey

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM

The Sammick is a reasonably priced guitar and decent on the play-ablity/sound side as well. Their solid wood guitars are quite nice. If you have availability give them a listen.

I would suggest as you shop have people play them for you. A good guitarist undoubtedly can make a bad guitar sound nice but you will be able to with your ear judge between things unless they are really trying to pull the wool over your eyes. In which case just walk away.

What you're attempting to do for your husband is one of the most loving things a spouse can do in my opinion. warms my heart! Folks here will try to give you as much help as possible.

Another good thing.. Forum sponsors. We have some very upstanding folks that can direct you as well. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call a few.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-16-2014, 06:04 PM

How old is the guitar?

Looking at the Tanglewood site you can see what they price them at.

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/p...age/TW15H.html

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 12-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
A very good suggestion from jmg257. A guitar is best picked out by the person who will be playing it.

My wife, like you, is also very supportive of my passion for the guitar, so I know he will be thrilled with your thoughtful gift.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

You can buy a Washburn D-10S for under $250 - solid top guitar. I'd get an envelope, mark the card "Guitar Money" and give him the cash with the promise that he buy a guitar, whether from a store or online. If you get a gift card then he is stuck with the specific store, unless you get a visa gift card or something like that, but cash is best.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Madam, you are a jewel among wives.

Greg Rappleye
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Yamaha guitars are noted for giving you a big bang for your buck in your price range. Around here the Yamaha FG700MS goes for about $200 and it has a solid Sitka spruce top and Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. FG700S is in gloss. FS700S with Sitka top and Mahogany back and sides.

Then there are some Yamaha's around the $300 range where you would also find Simon and Patrick or Seagull guitars which is a lower cost division of Godin guitars. They are fairly well respected and a North American manufacturer. But I do agree with the idea of a gift certificate, although not as big a surprise as holding a guitar in your hands guitars are fairly personal and different people like different ones.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I think what you're proposing is a wonderful sentiment. Having said that, I would add that my wife would no sooner pick a guitar for me than I would choose a piece of jewelry for her. Your respective attitudes about such things might be different from ours, but for us these are equally personal choices, based on our partner's preferences that we might not fully understand or appreciate. Or even know about.

Just a thought.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Guest 1511

Avoid that guitar with the damage. The cracks near the bridge are scary sounding. This guitar could easily be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't recommend a present being made of damaged goods, and I know your heart is in the right place here. You have better options.

Someone already mentioned the Yamahas. Those are very popular low-priced models. They have laminate tops but they are not junk.

Your other excellent option is a Breedlove c250. These are $299 new and if you go to GC you should have no trouble getting it for $250. It's a FANTASTIC guitar made well and sounds very good.

So yeah, avoid the Tanglewood and consider a Breedlove or Yamaha. In my personal opinion these are the very best options I've played under $400.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

i second the idea of a gift certificate. guitars have differences, like the scale length and width of the neck, and you won't know your husband's preferences.

if you do get him a guitar - and i wouldn't suggest you get the damaged one - perhaps you can get it from guitar center or AMS or some store that will let him easily exchange it if it doesn't suit him.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Tempting huh? $3000.00 guitar for $375.00
It could be a deal of a lifetime and maybe not.
You would need a guitar tech/luthier to look at it but they are not free, so there is another $50.00 or so for the independent inspection.
If you give him cash and your family budget is tight he might want to spend it on the kids?
I think the gift certificate is best, at the store with the best selection.
Put a guitar pick in the card along with the gift card.
Would be nice if you come back and tell us how it went?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, damage, guitar buying, repair, tanglewood