The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Seeking Recommendation for Nylon Guitar

Howdy. I'm playing more and more classical these days. I have a cheapie Cordoba cutaway at the moment, with the factory electronics. I always prefer to buy clean used, if possible, vs new. Here's what I'm looking for:

A) A full sized standard body with standard classical depth (NOT these thinner bodies so popular these days).

B) A standard width classical neck (again, NOT the narrower ones very much in vogue these days)

C) Prefer standard body, not cutaway

D) Generally prefer to add my own pickup (I'm very picky), unless the factory one is truly exceptional

E) IMPORTANT: All solid topic, all solid back and sides, NOT nato or laminate or whatever the popular term is

Price Range (Used): $400-500, maybe a bit more. Would look at new if something outstanding.

Thank You,
Scott Memmer
Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Classical Guitar

I play semi professional classical guitar at weddings etc. I've never felt the need to change my Takamine c-128. It doesn't project as loudly as a concert guitar but if you're going to fit your own pickup or microphone then I highly recommend it. Personally I have a dpa microphone (that cost more than the guitar!) that attaches with an armature that clips to the body of the guitar. I actually bend this right in to the soundhole of the guitar and add plenty of reverb via a mixer when I'm gigging.

cheers
Dave
http://www.twitter.com/lefunk_band
http://www.soundcloud.com/lefunk-3

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-17-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Edited commercial content
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM

You might look for a Kremona Artist Series Fiesta model or a Córdoba C9. I don’t know about Kremona guitars. But the C9 is a well priced all solid wood classical guitar that sounds really good. The used ones I have seen are more along the 600 or so price range for the C9. The Kremona guitars might be better priced on the used market since they are not reall well known in the USA.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Navarro Student classical (or flamenco). May be hard to find used and about double your top end new. Probably will come in above $500 used. Played a used model in Guitar Center a while back priced at $700 that sonically was way above their standard nylon string selection.

Might want to call Memorial Music in Houston (ebay and Amazon Seller) and see if they have any used student models around.

And you can't use a pick...

hunter
Old 04-17-2018, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, everyone. I was just looking at used Cordoba C9s online and that looks like one good value I would consider. The Tak and others also look like possibilities.

I did have one question. What is the difference (or advantages) of the various bracing systems in classicals? Is fan-braced the standard bracing going back to the beginning. I tend to be a traditionalist in most things, so prefer to go that route, if possible.

Also, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm not sure, but I did not receive any notifications to responses, even though I normally do.

All great tips. Will continue to explore. Thanks Much,

Scott

P.S. I might be open to a factory p/u rig. Does Cordoba make a C9 that is not a cutaway that comes with factory electronics? Almost all the standard-shaped nylons I see out there are without electronics.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 PM

Hello Sir. The C9 models are really a great classical guitar. I don’t think they offer a non cutaway version with a pickup system in that model though. Traditional bracing, I think, most would agree is fan bracing. I have two Córdoba guitars from pretty much opposite ends of the price spectrum and I like them both.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

gmr, thanks.

I have a Cordoba right now that I like a lot (I think it's a C3) EXCEPT it has this really kinda weirdo harmonic noise I get when I capo around fourth or fifth fret. I've taken it to two different luthiers, and neither one could solve.

Also, there are a couple refurbs out there. What is your experience? I got a lemon on an Epiphone that makes me leery.

Thanks All,
Scott
Old 04-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Is your noise on the D string(4th)? I have come across a couple of classicals in shops that sometimes have a strange warble on the d string. I read somewhere that it may help to remove the string at the tuner, then give the string a few twists in your fingers in the direction of the winding (effectively tightening the winding a bit), then put the string back on the peg and tune to pitch. I have no idea if that will work but the article I read was from a guy who specializes in nylon string guitar sales. Keeping the break angle of the strings coming over the bridge as acute as you can may help too. Of course that is all complete guess work on my part. I keep watching a particular C9 that is a new refurbished one and has been for sale for a while. I am tempted to get it and sell my C5 Ltd. But I have only had the C5 since last Summer, it actually sounds really good, and the flamed mahogany looks cool. I have never bought a refurbished guitar before so I just don’t know what the risk vs reward factor might be..
Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 AM

I've got a C9 Crossover and very pleased with it. I would think the standard C9 would be an excellent choice.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, gmr. There's a Refurb C9 out there that may be the same one. I'm passing only because I got really burnt on a refurb that was on eBay a couple years back. A year later the bridge lifted and was a major repair. So would rather buy clean used from the original owner.

Thanks for the tip about the buzzing D string. This is more than one string, so that's not it. And only occurs when using a capo, not when un-capoed.

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Scott, I am not a shill for Tom Prisloe but I feel his Pavan TP-20 is worth a serious look for $1295. Do it right by doing it once.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Scott, I am not a shill for Tom Prisloe but I feel his Pavan TP-20 is worth a serious look for $1295. Do it right by doing it once.
Jabber, no offense taken. Will take a look. It looks like right now I'm aiming for a Corboda. They are plentiful in the used market and I can get a good deal. Eventually I will get a "serious" classical guitar, but you must understand that I'm not a serious player. This is mainly for solo accompaniment of singing, not hot fingerstyle licks. So cheap is good, for now.

Thanks. Will investigate all options before making a decision. I move slow.

scott memmer
Old 04-24-2018, 10:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, wanted to thank everyone for their input in this thread. I'm not a great nylon player (play about 10% nylon, 90% steel string), so I've decided to narrow down between the Cordoba C-10 or C-9. Partly this is because I prefer to buy clean used as opposed to new, and these are very plentiful out there.

I did have one question: The C-9 comes optioned with either a Spruce top or Cedar. I have a general sense of the differences between those two tonewoods, but would someone consider adding your two cents into the differences. I'm certain I'd be happy with either, but just wanted to glean from your knowledge, since my experience is in the folk and not the classical world.

Thanks So Much,
Scott Memmer
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 AM

I have read that at a cheaper price, cedar is better, but as the guitar gets more expensive, then spruce is your winner. In other words, cheap cedar is better than cheap spruce, but spruce gets very good when you get a good piece of it.

My personal anecdotal experience has been the same.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I have read that at a cheaper price, cedar is better, but as the guitar gets more expensive, then spruce is your winner. In other words, cheap cedar is better than cheap spruce, but spruce gets very good when you get a good piece of it.

My personal anecdotal experience has been the same.
Once again, I agree with Sirwhale. I've owned a C9 cedar and it was a wonderful guitar...great tone, light, very easy playability.

In a very general sense, I've always felt that cedar combines well with mahogany back and sides.

I recommend going with a cedar top!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical