The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Avoid that guitar with the damage. The cracks near the bridge are scary sounding. This guitar could easily be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't recommend a present being made of damaged goods, and I know your heart is in the right place here. You have better options.

Someone already mentioned the Yamahas. Those are very popular low-priced models. They have laminate tops but they are not junk.

Your other excellent option is a Breedlove c250. These are $299 new and if you go to GC you should have no trouble getting it for $250. It's a FANTASTIC guitar made well and sounds very good.

So yeah, avoid the Tanglewood and consider a Breedlove or Yamaha. In my personal opinion these are the very best options I've played under $400.
I would avoid the Tanglewood.
Consider the Breedlove mentioned above,
And there are a plethora of good Yamahas that are reasonably priced.
If you're going with a used guitar a used Seagull can be had right around your price point.
And, like a few have said...let him pick his own instrument.
Arrange it with the salesman, to set out the ones that meet the price point, and take him out and don't tell him where you're going. Then take him to the shop and "turn him loose to choose.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 PM

I would suggest that if you do find a guitar that sounds good to you and meets your needs, to make sure you can return it for a full refund in case your husband prefers something different.

That way you give him a nice present at Christmas, but he's not locked into the specifics of your choice in case he's got something else in mind.

You're doing a wonderful thing for him and your whole family - playing guitar is a great relaxation and something you can share with everyone.

Good luck!

I love acoustic guitars !
Old 12-16-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
He told me it's a 3000k guitar and is asking $375 for it.
I never heard of this guitar before, but I looked around and the new retail prices I found were mostly from the UK, in the £600-£700 range (around $900-$1000, unless I am way off on my currency rates).

Based on that alone, I would not buy anything from that particular shop.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM

guitars are to personal. take him to the guitar store and tell him you want to buy him one for a present.. as has been suggested.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
guitars are to personal. take him to the guitar store and tell him you want to buy him one for a present.. as has been suggested.
kinda takes the surprise factor out of guys! Better tactic would be to make sure of a sound return policy and put a note in it saying if it's not what he likes the store will take it back no questions asked and THEN take him to the store.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Even thought the gift certificate isn't as personal (on the front side) it makes much more sense. Way too many variables involved unless he's already said "I want an "X" guitar for Christmas"?

Imagine him trying to but you a pocketbook? Not trying to be a wise guy...just being realistic. And as Gregg said: "Madam...you are a gem!"

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM

Where are you located? Perhaps there is a forum member nearby who'd be willing to meet at a shop to assist with selection.

I like to pick my own guitars, but one selected by my wife as a surprise gift to me would be special. I'd go with a something from a shop with a good return policy (30 days at Guitar Center for example) so that he can exchange it just in case, but I would put a guitar under the tree.

Good luck! He's a lucky man.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Very appreciative!

Wow. Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all of these tips and recommendations. I will look them up and see if I can find them here to try. Were from Philadelphia but currently in Pinehurst, NC where the selection isn't go great from what I've been able to find.

The owner did state that the tanglewood he has for sale is a popular guitar in the UK. I looked up the pricing as well and it's not a 3k guitar (3000k - ha, sorry) as he said but more likely around 700pounds or 800-900usd. I've found that same guitar online for sale in the states for around $550. Guess he is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

But just because: (these are the photos I took of the damage - Thank you Kipp for pointing out how to post photos)

I also don't like the idea of gifting a damaged product but if it's a good quality guitar we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford then I think my husband would've appreciated it. I'd buy a car with a dent as long as I knew the engine ran perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about guitars to make the judgement call so I'm so grateful for all of your input. Sounds like a damaged guitar isn't the way to go.

He's not very particular about material items (unless it's his skies...of course. Skiing his thing)

I do love the idea of having it under the tree but I'm also very much aware that he might prefer picking it out himself. Mostly I'm concerned that if I give him cash he will feel he needs to put it towards bills. If I gift him the actual guitar he'll keep it.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Surprises are nice, but how about a gift certififcate, AND a planned outing together? He can pick out what he likes, and share the fun with you!
Very thoughtful of you but the certificate is the right path.....and the guitar you are looking at does not appear to be a value as to its damage as it is not a 3k guitar model to start with. But still the thought....priceless!

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 12-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Very much appreciated advice

Wow. Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all of these tips and recommendations. I will look them up and see if I can find them here to try. Were from Philadelphia but currently in Pinehurst, NC where the selection isn't go great from what I've been able to find.

The owner did state that the tanglewood he has for sale is a popular guitar in the UK. I looked up the pricing as well and it's not a 3k guitar (3000k - ha, sorry) as he said but more likely around 700pounds or 800-900usd. I've found that same guitar online for sale in the states for around $550. Guess he is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

But just because:
These are the photos I took of the damage - Thank you Kipp for pointing out how to post photos.

For some reason that link is only showing this one photo. It's the largest scar on the guitar. I'm trying to get the two other photos to upload as well. The other two are of the cracks on the soundboard/face of the guitar

I also don't like the idea of gifting a damaged product but if it's a good quality guitar we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford then I think my husband would've appreciated it. I'd buy a car with a dent as long as I knew the engine ran perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about guitars to make the judgement call so I'm so grateful for all of your input. Sounds like a damaged guitar isn't the way to go.

He's not very particular about material items (unless it's his skies...of course. Skiing is his thing)

I do love the idea of having it under the tree but I'm also very much aware that he might prefer picking it out himself. Mostly I'm concerned that if I give him cash he will feel he needs to put it towards bills. If I gift him the actual guitar he'll keep it.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnr103 View Post
I've found that same guitar online for sale in the states for around $550.

But just because: (these are the photos I took of the damage - Thank you Kipp for pointing out how to post photos)

The new price and that pic changes everything.
Stay away from that guitar!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
The new price and that pic changes everything.
Stay away from that guitar!!!
And perhaps stay away from that store. Sounds like the salesperson is feeding you a line.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

You wouldn't be giving him cash. It would be a gift certificate from a dealer. I would try Raleigh/Durham as there are several very good shops there. Soundpure in Durham has an outstanding collection of fine acoustic guitars. There are also Harry's and Guru in Raleigh.

Just a thought?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Phew

Excellent. Can't thank you all enough! Glad to cross that guitar and place off my list.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM

I will check out your recommendations in Raliegh, llew. Thanks so much

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, damage, guitar buying, repair, tanglewood