The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM

In the early days of the show, the blind auditions were actually interesting to watch...

Then it turned into everyone had to have their personal soap opera tale of family hardship and suffering to mine the sympathy votes...

Then the audience voting turned it all into a tweet fest fashion and runway show..

And unfortunately, I was channel surfing tonight and came across it while a kid was absolutely butchering John Mellencamp's "Small Town"...

But he had all his rock star poses down pat while he was doing it, and everyone was just eating it up...

Fantastic Plastic...
Old 04-24-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I watched it a couple of years ago because Laith Al-Saadi was competing and he just tore it up; brilliant performer. He lost in the finals and I subsequently read that he was hoping not to win, because the contract you sign at the front end means they just about own you if you win at the back end. He just wanted the exposure and it seems to have worked out well for him.
Bingo. The real musicians are out there busking and streaming from their living rooms or paid gigs. I have no use for mass media anymore and for all its faults social media has taken over a lot of the roles that record companies used to justify their cut from talent over.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I've contemplated trying out for The Voice since it first aired. Season after season, it lost it's appeal. What I liked about it initially was that it had nothing to do with what you looked like and everything to do with your sound. It's become pretty apparent that it's no longer about your sound - it's about your looks and your story. Unfortunately for me, I'm lucky to not have a "story" - I grew up in a close-knit family with parents who provided for us. They're still married and we're all still tight. Pretty run-of-the-mill and definitely not TV-worthy. I've also heard of others' audition experiences and they basically confirmed my assumptions.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
And unfortunately, I was channel surfing tonight and came across it while a kid was absolutely butchering John Mellencamp's "Small Town"...

But he had all his rock star poses down pat while he was doing it, and everyone was just eating it up...

Fantastic Plastic...
++1 on that. It was one of the worst rendition of "Small Town" I have ever heard, yet Alicia Keyes (who I really like and respect) gushed. Really Alicia? Really? What the heck happened to you? It was terrible. Take your fingers out of your ears.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM

Lol I have yet to catch up with yesterday’s show. Seems like more butchering and pitch issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic