The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2023, 07:42 AM

Default Best Top for Fingerstyle Play (Sitka or Adirondack)

All of my guitars have had Sitka or Mahogany tops. I recently purchased an
Eastman E-10DL with an Adirondack top and mahogany back and sides. I'm amazed it the instruments power and more importantly the notes sustain even when not plucked hard. Do players who play fingerstyle find an Adirondack top preferrable for this style of playing or did I just luck put and get a good guitar? I also wonder if an Adirondack top would perform better than my instrument if it had a minimal open pore finish as opposed to the high gloss finish my instrument has.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

…I don’t think the species of spruce is relevant….I own 3 Kopp guitars…one has an Adirondack top…one has an Englemann top and one has a baked Sitka top….the baked Sitka top is the most responsive to a lighter touch and makes for an exceptional fingerpicking guitar….but the other two are almost as responsive….I conclude that it’s the design and build that have the most effect
Old 04-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

in circa guitars latest video it was stated that Adirondack tends to be the most consistent of the spruce species used for tops - very stiff. That sitka especially was all over the place from top to top stiffness wise. So if I were buying a mass produced guitar I would look for adirondack. Of course thicknessing and bracing and finishes and everything else will effect the sound so you have to listen for the sound you are going for-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 04-07-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I don’t think the species of spruce is relevant….I own 3 Kopp guitars…one has an Adirondack top…one has an Englemann top and one has a baked Sitka top….the baked Sitka top is the most responsive to a lighter touch and makes for an exceptional fingerpicking guitar….but the other two are almost as responsive….I conclude that it’s the design and build that have the most effect
Thank you for your response. I have to agree that the build has much do with the overall response. I think that's why I asked the question if Adirondack will sound even more responsive if the instrument has less finish like my other instruments. My Eastman E-10DL weighs 4.8# and my Martin DSS-17 weighs 4.0#. I'd say it is a draw on power between these two instruments. The DSS-17 weigh much less and has that matt minimal open pore finish. Id' also add that the Eastman with its Adirondack top and mahogany back and sides doesn't have that dry woody tone like the DSS-17 has. I wonder if the Adirondack top changes the flavor of the tone woods used.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
in circa guitars latest video it was stated that Adirondack tends to be the most consistent of the spruce species used for tops - very stiff. That sitka especially was all over the place from top to top stiffness wise. So if I were buying a mass produced guitar I would look for adirondack. Of course thicknessing and bracing and finishes and everything else will effect the sound so you have to listen for the sound you are going for-
Thank you for the response. I had no idea that was so much variation in a Sitka top.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I just got an adi top Martin dread and I’ve owned two Sitka topped ones before. The adi does seem to enjoy harder attack. It makes fast fingerpicking really fun and it encourages harder and faster play. That said, the tone is still Martin and the differences are very subtle.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Smile Builder matters more….

IM not so HO, the builder and the build matter even more than the top wood.

That said, I LOVE Western Red Cedar tops. Nice and warm tone, almost never gets strident or harsh. And plenty of volume with fingers. And LOUD with fingerpicks and thumbpick. I can drive mine to breakup, but by then they are way too loud for driver comfort! Haha

YMMV, of course

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 04-07-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I just got an adi top Martin dread and I’ve owned two Sitka topped ones before. The adi does seem to enjoy harder attack. It makes fast fingerpicking really fun and it encourages harder and faster play. That said, the tone is still Martin and the differences are very subtle.
One of the places I watch is Maury's Music. There is a guy named Spoon Phillips who demos many instruments. On a recent video he said that all of his personal instruments have Adirondack tops. I just wish American builders would make Adirondack top instruments at a more affordable price like Eastman.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

While I agree these may not be night and day differences, as many other build/builder facts must be factored in, I find European spruce tops to be best suited for fingerstyle guitar (with Italian being my favorite). Fast, vigorous fingerpicking may mate well with adirondack. There can be tons of exceptions of course, as I stated earlier.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:16 AM

For smaller body guitars I much prefer Adirondack to Sitka. I played many OM guitars before purchasing my Eastman E40om with an Adirondack top. For me the Adirondack is much more responsive and articulate for fingerpicking. The Sitka guitars always lacked clarity to me. For strumming I think sitka is great, but for fingerstyle I would go Adirondack.

It also very much depends on the guitar body size/shape (and builder). In most cases I prefer redwood or cedar for fingerpicking. But on a more traditional body shape like an OM I prefer spruce tops.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 04-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I don’t think that there is a best top for fingerstyle. I have guitars with Adi, German, and cedar and they all sound great played fingerstyle. A friend of mine has an all-koa guitar that excels at fingerstyle.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion