The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Signature blocks as an indicator of fickleness

Funny thing this, but I have noticed as I was searching the forum here that guitars that were once touted as great, perfect or similar are often no longer contained in the signature blocks of the users making the claim.

There is no metric, but I have a takeaway; guitar players can be a fickle lot lol

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 10-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I see that on old posts all the time too. Someone exclaiming a guitar is a lifer and then you see it's no longer part of their signature. I just decided to remove signatures to spare myself the embarrassment!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 PM

I'm always careful not to claim anything is a "lifer".

I can fully understand, though, how something can impress someone at a given point in time, only to then be superseded by something else down the line. I mean there are millions of guitars, and we only play, what, a few dozen or hundred in our lives? So to think that you somehow found the best guitar in the world similar to the odds of winning the lottery.

Also, tastes (and playing style) change. Something that would have greatly impressed me five years ago when I was a much worse player with limited exposure to alternate guitar and music styles, would likely be underwhelming today.

Does that mean I was fickle five years ago? I'd like to think not. I'd rather believe that, given my experience at the time, I made the best choice I could with the information I had then (I hadn't even heard of SCGC, H&D, Collings, etc. because I was coming from the electric guitar world) and when I go on audition trips now (and in the future) I'll have gained more experience and knowledge which I will apply towards future purchases.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Yes, I see that on old posts all the time too. Someone exclaiming a guitar is a lifer and then you see it's no longer part of their signature. I just decided to remove signatures to spare myself the embarrassment!
Hey, at least you're honest about it!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
So to think that you somehow found the best guitar in the world similar to the odds of winning the lottery.
I won!!! I won!!!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:22 PM

Hey, things change -- like neck preferences, playing style, the woods you like, gigging or not, etc. That can change your needs in a guitar(s). I am now in my fourth major phase of owning and playing. Ground zero was the cheap guitar phase when I was a beginning player and at the start of my career (entry level salary and house payments). Then came the Martin phase, because that was "the quintessential acoustic guitar". Eventually their necks began to bother my left hand, despite the wonderful tone and the history. Next I went though a Taylor phase because of their universally excellent build quality and very playable necks. But temperature / humidity care and worries for fine guitars eventually became burdensome with multiple instruments, especially back when living through ultra-dry Alaskan winters. Now I am into low-maintenance carbon fiber guitars and all but one of the woodies are gradually leaving. (That all-koa Taylor GA and one koa ukulele will stay as long as I can still play).

My personal solution to the signature block issue is opting out. Through the User CP (left end of the blue bar) you can set your preferences to hide signature blocks, at least when you are logged in. A side benefit is that I now see several more posts per page. Some of those signature blocks are mini novels!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Yea, I'm fickle. Though I've never said this is the one. I'm fickle because I can be when it comes to musical instruments. I'm pragmatic and attentive in almost everything in life. When it comes to my musical instruments I want the best available for what I'm trying to do at the time. I could be content with one guitar except that I have options. If I didn't have options .... well .... I guess I'd hunt some down.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM

Tastes, feel, finances, spouse says get rid of one if you want another, hearing, bands, medical conditions (like shoulder pain with dreads), etc., change.

I've had a couple of very nice guitars that I thought I'd never let go, only to see another guitar that I really wanted but couldn't afford. Then, I got into mandolins and decided I didn't need as many guitars. Then I got into mandolas, octaves, banjo, bass, etc.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM

“I’d no more love just one kind of woman,
than to drink only one kind of wine.” Berkeley Woman, by John Denver.

Even more true for guitars.....
Old 10-29-2020, 02:53 PM

Mostly, I just don't want people to know how bad I have GAS. lol
Old 10-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Some people just like the game... buying and selling is part of the fun for them.

Sometimes guitars that are objectively very good just don't suit you for some reason.

Sometimes people get hard up and need the cash.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Like anything, sometimes taste change. Or you might have loved the guitar but found one that was even better. I don’t think it necessarily has anything to do with fickleness. As an example, I’ve seen many people sell some wonderful dreadnoughts because of physical difficulties that required them getting a smaller size guitar.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:04 PM

Guilty as charged! I've turned over several guitars, that said I believe that the Gibson in my sig is going to stay.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
Guilty as charged! I've turned over several guitars, that said I believe that the Gibson in my sig is going to stay.
Bold statement. We'll be keeping our eyes on you.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Mine has changed more than I thought it would. I hope I never make the mistake of selling the Breedlove.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion