The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 02:09 AM

Default Ergonomic chairs or stools for guitar players

Just wondering what everyone sits on when playing guitar at home, i usually just sit on the edge of the couch twist round a little bit so the guitar is also supported by the couch a little and play. My wife keeps telling me its bad for my back to sit like that for hours on end, been doing it like that for years. Well now my back is getting a bit sore probably from arthritis rather than my seated playing position but who knows.
What are people here doing? do we all have special dedicated guitar seats or not?
Some recommendations would be great on comfortable healthy seating arrangements.
Thanks for any info Cheers Mic.
2019 Gretsch 1955 Vintage select White Falcon
2019 Fender American Pro Tele.
2015 Gibson L9
An Old Banjo and a couple of Uke's
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 AM

I have these swivel counter stools for sitting at my kitchen bar counter which also happen to be pretty much ideal for guitar playing.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

I know that you can spend thousands on "special chairs, and you kow that if it helps me I will spend money on my passion for guitars and playing them.

This, however, is a really serious suggestion, which will enable you to sit properly

See : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winsome-W...shes/572400495

Or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...2804/237978973

I am assuming that the enquiry was American so I looked for these on American sites, but these simple wooden or metal folding chairs (or something very similar) are very effective for encouraging good posture if you sit right back so your back angle is controlled by the ...seat back, and your upper legs are parallel with the floor, then your posture will be good.

There may be some adjustment of leg height necessary for some.

These are what I use at rehearsals with my trio whether at home or elsewhere.

It is a cheap, effective, and easily stored musical accessory.

You're Welcome
Old 10-27-2020, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Talking

“These are what I use at rehearsals with my trio whether at home or elsewhere.

It is a cheap, effective, and easily stored musical accessory. “

I prefer the wooden chairs for acoustic playing. Rosewood chairs definitely sound the best, but mahogany work well, too. Given up on metal chairs...cant find phosphor bronze anywhere! BTW, how often do you change your chair?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 AM

I play in a modified classical position - modified in that I’ve had rotator cuff surgery and my left knee replaced so it’s uncomfortable for me to have my left leg elevated. I usually play on an antique brace back chair with a carved wooden seat that is the right height and comfortable to sit on.

I also have a wonderful music seat from SoundSeat https://www.soundseat.com/ that is incredibly comfortable for long playing sessions. My trumpet playing/Music Ed student son is attending college remotely and has commandeered that for his home studio so it’s the chairs for me.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 AM

There's this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...xe-guitar-seat
Old 10-27-2020, 05:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I always come back to the SoundSeat. Drummer JR Baker (RIP) designed a wonderful, ergonomic chair for musicians and then customized it for guitarists. The seat gives fantastic support for the back and has cutaways at the front to prevent blood flow cutoff in the legs. They are upholstered in leather so the breath well. Since I've owned a SoundSeat (seventeen years) back comfort has ceased to be an issue on those long sessions and during rehearsals. Mine looks virtually new after all these years. Each one is made to order and the order is taken over the phone by JR's widow, Bretta. This isn't a large company, this is truly a small family operation and they take care of each customer.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicster View Post
Just wondering what everyone sits on when playing guitar at home, i usually just sit on the edge of the couch twist round a little bit so the guitar is also supported by the couch a little and play. My wife keeps telling me its bad for my back to sit like that for hours on end, been doing it like that for years. Well now my back is getting a bit sore probably from arthritis rather than my seated playing position but who knows.
What are people here doing? do we all have special dedicated guitar seats or not?
Some recommendations would be great on comfortable healthy seating arrangements.
Thanks for any info Cheers Mic.
Hi T M

We have a pair of SoundSeat chairs at our house.

One is over 15 years old, has the shortest piston in it, shows zero wear and I spent thousands of hours of guitar teaching sitting in it.

The other has the tallest piston the make and is our computer chair which has about 12 years of use on it, and sits in our family room at the counter where my main computer station is.

Best investment I ever made knowing I'd be logging hours per day in it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-27-2020, 06:00 AM

I use just about any chair that lets me plant my feet on the ground and gives me some back support for longer sessions. I always use a strap and prefer wide straps when I'm playing for more than an hour or so. I also do a lot of my practicing and all my performing standing up.

I've been thinking of getting a SoundSeat for the studio, though. I'm mostly a drummer and guys I know have been raving about them for years.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG

Last edited by Neal Pert; 10-27-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:08 AM

In terms of ergonomics, it is best to have your knees slightly lower than your hips. It is also advisable to have your hips and shoulders in alignment (rather than having any twisting at the torso or upper back). And having feet flat on the floor (rather than having a foot raised) is preferable. By implication: playing on the sofa is the WORST.

I am a big fan of SoundSeat, because of the adjustability, durability, and comfortable padding. It is what I have been using when playing at home for about 7 years.

But it seems like some of the other options mentioned could work, depending upon your size, and your preferences.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:11 AM

If you ever want to record verify that you get a ‚quiet´ chair. Often the moveable parts of chairs make noise.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-27-2020, 06:16 AM

I find that I'm already sitting for a good portion of the day, so I usually stand when I play guitar. I was a trumpet major in college, so slouching and music don't go together in my brain (even though you don't need your abs for instrumental guitar).

When I occasionally sit (Usually on a wooden kitchen chair) I still use the strap.

But I will readily admit those SoundSeats look sweet. I don't know where I'd put one, but if I sat all the time I would definitely consider that option.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

I always come back to the SoundSeat. Drummer JR Baker (RIP) designed a wonderful, ergonomic chair for musicians and then customized it for guitarists. The seat gives fantastic support for the back and has cutaways at the front to prevent blood flow cutoff in the legs. They are upholstered in leather so the breath well. Since I've owned a SoundSeat (seventeen years) back comfort has ceased to be an issue on those long sessions and during rehearsals. Mine looks virtually new after all these years. Each one is made to order and the order is taken over the phone by JR's widow, Bretta. This isn't a large company, this is truly a small family operation and they take care of each customer.

Bob
Yep, I’m with Bob on this one. LOVE my SoundSeat.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 10-27-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Lay-Z-Boy recliner
Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 AM

I used to use an inexpensive swivel office chair on castors without arms. Now I have a padded swivel stool on castors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion