The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 04:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi SRQ,

The 1929 00 does surprisingly well with a flat pick and handles light strumming just fine. However, for heavier strumming and overall versatility, you might want to lean more towards the H-13 or OM, OM/PW, OM Grand or any of the various dreadnought models (square or slope shouldered).

Here is a video that I made recently with 5 Santa Cruz guitars - no H-13 in this group, but you can compare the 1929 00 with some other larger guitars. I hope its helpful.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 10-29-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Santa Cruz make some pretty good guitars - I've got an "RS" which I really love playing.

However, they do excel in their 0, 00 and H13 models.

We can tell you what we would choose but no-one can tell you what would suit you and your music best.

This is my "RS"

Thank you for that. I sincerely enjoyed hearing that lovely song and that fine guitar being put to such good use. Kudos.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi SRQ,

The 1929 00 does surprisingly well with a flat pick and handles light strumming just fine. However, for heavier strumming and overall versatility, you might want to lean more towards the H-13 or OM, OM/PW, OM Grand or any of the various dreadnought models (square or slope shouldered).

Here is a video that I made recently with 5 Santa Cruz guitars - no H-13 in this group, but you can compare the 1929 00 with some other larger guitars. I hope its helpful.

Larry that was incredible ! Thank you so much for posting :-))
Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I know three singer songwriters who play Santa Cruz H models. One has the 12 fret, one the 13 fret and one the 14 fret model. All three sound fabulous either fingerstyle or strummed. I think the H model is a very versatile guitar. Whether it is the sound and feel that you are looking for is for your ears and hands to determine.

Best,
Jayne
Well that is a very telling answer indeed thank you Jayne
Old 10-29-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
I do not have access to sales figures to say what is their most popular.

But overall the most popular body sizes tend to be in the OM and dreadnought ranges. 00 sizes and parlor (0) sizes are less frequently discussed here in relation to the other two.

I owned a nice Martin Custom 00 which I'm now consigning with a local shop, because of exactly your concern. I too am a strummer and ultimately this 00 has a volume ceiling (due to it's size, not any fault of it's construction which is great) that just doesn't suit my strumming playstyle, which is often heavy handed.

Whenever I fingerpicked it, it was fabulous. But I play in that manner maybe 5% of the time, or less.

For an all-rounder, singer songwriter, I'd definitely look at an OM or a D, depending on how much volume you want, and how comfortable a D is for you to play. I love my 2 Ds but they're not comfortable for me to play for long stretches due to my body's ergonomics, so if I'm only able to take one guitar somewhere (and I know I'll be playing for a while), it's going to be one of my OMs or GAs.

Yes I am preferring the couch-ability of OM and GA over Dreads more and more!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Santa Cruz make some pretty good guitars - I've got an "RS" which I really love playing.

However, they do excel in their 0, 00 and H13 models.

We can tell you what we would choose but no-one can tell you what would suit you and your music best.

This is my "RS"

Andy, that was wonderful!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi SRQ,

Great demonstration Larry. They all sound terrific in your hands.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM

Default look at the Vintage Southerner (VS)

I have one and it's a lifer with me.

Feather light (well, almost) and a joy to play.

SCGC notes that the VS takes inspiration from the J-45--but it does not sound much like a Gibson.

FWIW, I had a RW SCGC OM that I never bonded with; love at first strum with the VS.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Great demonstration Larry. They all sound terrific in your hands.
Yep, very true. Larry, that was fun. Makes me want to buy another SCGC.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

The best all around guitar is the Santa Cruz Vintage Southern. It's a sleeper but if do a YouTube search they rave about them. I mean people that have vast experience with many high end guitars claim it's the Swiss army knife of guitars.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-29-2020, 06:30 PM

A real lover of Santa Cruz guitars here. Lucky to have 2 and am seriously thinking about another. If you are anywhere near me, welcome to come by on a decent day and see what you think (they are not for sale, but you can learn a ton playing them). We can play outside. Some on the forum have found the occasional SC that didn’t grab them. I don’t have that great an ear, or a load of musical talent, however, I have never found one I thought wasn’t among the better guitars I’ve had the opportunity to play. As far as which model, I give first consideration to the guitar model(s) I like best and compliment what I already am lucky enough to have.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:49 PM

For a performing songwriter I highly recommend the OM Grand. Wonderfully rich and resonant but capable of great delicacy. I have a K&K mini in mine. A veteran sound engineer at a festival said to me a few years ago My god! Your guitar is the most amazing sound I've ever had the joy of mixing!

Of the guitars I've owned the OM Grand sounds as if a goodall and a collings had a child.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Jelly;6537072]The best all around guitar is the Santa Cruz Vintage Southern. It's a sleeper but if do a YouTube search they rave about them. I mean people that have vast experience with many high end guitars claim it's the Swiss army knife of guitars.

Thanks that wasn't on my radar screen at all and yeah, must say very much what I'm looking for. Is it my imagination or is it a bit smaller than e.g a J45?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
Thanks that wasn't on my radar screen at all and yeah, must say very much what I'm looking for. Is it my imagination or is it a bit smaller than e.g a J45?
Santa Cruz dreads are dimensionally smaller than a comparable Martin (1/4" shallower) so I wouldn't be surprised to find the Vintage Southerner a notch smaller than a J-45 also (but can't say with certainty).

I am one of those who did not bond with the Santa Cruz OM or OM Grand. No matter the wood combination, I find them entirely too "pretty" sounding for the old time and fiddle tunes I like to flatpick. The OM/PW was much more to my liking, but even there, my heart was always with a bigger guitar.

My main is a 2012 D/PW in Sitka over EIR. It's a phenomenal all-arounder. Santa Cruz guitars are also exceptionally forgiving to play and I've never had to use anything besides Light strings since they are so lightly built and resonant. Mediums tend to choke them.

Happy hunting!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-30-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
Is it my imagination or is it a bit smaller than e.g a J45?
I have both and I've never notice a difference; both very comfortable to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
h 13, mahogany, santa cruz 1929