The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 04:17 PM

I have two guitars I thought were lifers and have implied so with people before. But recently I have been thinking of getting rid of my two “lifers”. My playing style has changed and my available space has as well. Also one of the, my Lowden 0-32 is becoming an issue for me to play. My shoulder is not to happy playing a jumbo body any more, especially after surgery. The 1930 Martin 0-17 that I dearly love dearly sits mostly because it doesn’t really fit into what I have been playing for some years now. I’m thinking of selling both of those and another to fund something that better reflects my ear these days. 6 years ago I would never have sold them, now.... maybe so. After all, there’re just stuff.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
Guilty as charged! I've turned over several guitars, that said I believe that the Gibson in my sig is going to stay.
Countdown beginning in 1....2....3........
Old 10-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Well.... so it would be my money I would be spending. Not sure you get to weigh in on how I spend it....
Old 10-29-2020, 04:52 PM

I don't run a guitar list - it could have turned into a full time job!

In retrospect, I really could have just rented some guitars I was curious about....3 months, 6 months, send it back!

But you know, we play guitar, don't have to marry it.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdidier View Post
Well.... so it would be my money I would be spending. Not sure you get to weigh in on how I spend it....
FYI, this is a satire thread. Just so you know lol

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 10-29-2020, 05:17 PM

I had a Breedlove Masterclass that I thought was a lifer for sure. Tunrs out I got a fantastic deal one of BL's top line guitars and bit. Now that one is my lifer (I think).

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 10-29-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
Haha for sure, but I'll admit this is probably a topic that could tingle some nerves mine included.

I've just gotten to the point where I've admitted I have a problem (isn't that the first step?) but also that I'm not harming anyone. As people say, "there are worse vices to have".

That said I'm fairly certain there are two, possibly three, guitars I'll never sell off.

1. My Lakewood M32. Bespoke, first acoustic I bought in 2003/4, punches well above it's weight (I bought it for $1650 including all the "accoutrements" I asked for, it compares well to guitars costing 2X that). The sitka has aged marvelously over that time. Also major sentimental value.

2. Taylor Custom GA. As I wrote in the NGD, it quickly became my "most versatile guitar" despite it's very stiff competition. Truly an all-rounder, but also my most aesthetically beautiful guitar by a country mile.

3. H&D TD-R. This one is the "possibly". This is right now, if I had to pick one, my best guitar tonally-speaking. However I'm 5'7" with average length arms, so dreads are a bit uncomfortable to play for long periods of time. If I ever suffer from what I read about on AGF, where as I age it becomes painful to play, I may have to some day part with it. But that day is not today, and I've started to incorporate stretching in my daily routines to try and keep flexibility up so that hopefully that day doesn't come for a long, long time.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-29-2020, 06:28 PM

If I ever claimed something was a “lifer,” or “the one,” I surely meant that that’s what it could be for someone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 10-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdidier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
Sadly, some people don't get dry humo(u)r.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:31 PM

It might a better indication of having a certain amount of disposable income than of being fickle.

I could claim I am a paragon of fidelity because I've had the same guitar since 2004, but many times in the past 15 years I might have bought a new guitar if I'd had a spare grand or so to throw around. Many times I HAVE tried to cure a bad episode of GAS with a $200 guitar, but whenever I try I don't find anything in that price range that makes me want to part with the cash, but given a grand or so I probably would have found things.

And with my current guitar? I don't really want to sell it. It was the object of MUCH obsession 16 years ago, but if I can't swing the 000-28 I'm currently coveting without selling the 000-15, I'll sell it. And once I have the 000-28 if I didn't have to sell the 000-15, it remains to be seen if I'll still play and love Ol' reliable as much. Anyway my point is if I HAD the cash I know I'd blow through guitars with the worst of em. I'd want to try them all and I'd likely be infatuated with the latest one for a while. Nothing wrong with that. It's normal. That doesn't mean there aren't guitars we'll keep forever, it just might take a long time to find out which ones those are.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:36 PM

'Honeymoon periods' can be short or long.

I've just started with my new Gibson and things are now beginning to look a little shaky for my H&D and I caught my Epiphone crying this morning.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-30-2020, 04:23 AM

Last year I sold most of The heard with intent to down size.Made some agonizing decisions.Well that did not last long.But most of my new ones are smaller (my shoulders)and just as nice.There are no lifers in my crew.Although I have had the Gibson for a long time and MIGHT not ever get rid of it.Well maybe
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 10-30-2020, 05:04 AM

...... another "player" with a wandering eye here; but I have gotten more focused on some physical aspects (size, string spacing, neck [sort of]).

So while we are confessing, I am so fickle that I have owned a Martin 00-15, Martin 000-18GE, Martin 00-28vs; Santa Cruz 00-1929 Don Edwards and Collings 00-1Mh TWICE EACH; that is I sold one only to purchase one again on another occasion. And what's more I still love every one of those model and would not rule out owning any of them again. My only excuse is that I am old, a condition which, like youth, renders my foolishness more understandable if not more excusable.

...And, just to check every box on this thread, I have a 2007 Froggy Bottom H12 that I will never sell, EVER.

Last edited by MWB5007; 10-30-2020 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

My very first guitar that Santa brought me when I was 10. Pretty sure my Mom picked it up at the guitar shop for the final delivery, though. After 42 years of cherished ownership, Im pretty sure she’s a keeper!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 AM

I had a D-28 Authentic 1937. It was an amazing dread: sweet tone, incredible power.

But the old man shoulder kicked in, and I have very little need for a dread. So I traded it in on the Lowden.

But it's an amazing dread, and I would definitely still be playing it if a dread still fit my needs. I am trying very hard to be finished with GAS, but I'm not foolish enough to declare that I'm actually there. I still want every guitar I hear.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion