The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week #7 Spalted Curly Maple and New Hampshire Red Spruce

For week #7 I am offering a very colorful and figured Western Big Leaf Maple back and side set with an unusually clean and fine grained New Hampshire Red Spruce:

The Maple with bring out the fundamentals and separation and the Red Spruce top will serve to bring out the midrange and some overtones. Overall this will make for a very well balance guitar with quick response and lot's of headroom. I'd particularly recommend this set on my Greta grand auditorium for a strong all around type guitar with an unusually striking look!
The color of the maple would be well shown off if Bloodwood were used for trim or maybe even the fretboard:

I have the package pricing detail on the Marketplace forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...reply&t=534575

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 02-24-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Another cool pairing, Mark!

That is some striking maple in color and figure!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Smile Another BOSS pairing for sure!

Wow that Maple is wild! And it is quite dark colored for Maple, isn't it?

Any of these would be a HANDSOME addition to any high end quiver!

Drooling over here...

This is a cool thread!

Thanks Mark!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Another cool pairing, Mark!

That is some striking maple in color and figure!
Thanks Nemoman, it really is an attention getter. I bought it as a board and got several guitar sets from it. A couple other builders complained to me when they saw I got it, apparently they were watching that board. I didn’t watch it, I just bought it as soon as I saw it. What an I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow that Maple is wild! And it is quite dark colored for Maple, isn't it?

Any of these would be a HANDSOME addition to any high end quiver!

Drooling over here...

This is a cool thread!

Thanks Mark!!!

Paul
Thanks Paul, it is dark. It has some mild spalting that’s stained it. I look forward to making a guitar out of this one!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 02-26-2019, 01:51 AM

Beautiful and very distinctive. Maple guitars can be surprisingly dynamic and tonally strong. Look forward to hearing this guitar.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

This thread has been so fun to follow. I think the wood selection process of a custom build is the most exciting part of the process.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beautiful and very distinctive. Maple guitars can be surprisingly dynamic and tonally strong. Look forward to hearing this guitar.
Maple really is it's own thing. The closest that I find to it tonally is the totally unrelated Gaboon Ebony but, they are only similar in base and mids. In the trebles they part ways, Gaboon goes to overtones and Maple keeps fundamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
This thread has been so fun to follow. I think the wood selection process of a custom build is the most exciting part of the process.
It is very exciting. When you work in a studio all day and you're with hundreds of woods that offer thousands of combinations, well, it sets a mind to wandering!

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 02-28-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#8 Kauri and Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce

This weeks pairing is ancient Kauri and Swiss alpine Moon Spruce:

Those of you who have been following me lately know I am a big fan of old woods. So naturally I am very excited about building with the oldest available workable wood, ancient Kauri. It also happens to be gorgeous and makes a wonderful tonewood. It comes from New Zealand and has been trapped in peat bogs and preserved for over 45,000 years. You can easily find a lot of information on Google about how it is carefully controlled and managed in an environmentally responsible way, how the trees are gigantic, and how they can have a wonderful chatoyance called "White Fish".

I'd like to put 45,000 years in human context. Our technology then pretty much consisted of wearing skins and tying broken rocks to sticks to hunt with. Tools hadn't really differentiated much yet. The latest new technology was an eyed needle but, there was no fabric or clay vessels. It's likely nobody was thinking about making one of these trees into a guitar. In fact, humans never even got to New Zealand until about 700 years ago. Nobody at all in North or South America. There just weren't very many of us back then but, we had a much larger extended family. We had our kissing cousins; the Neanderthals who were in western Europe and the Denisovans further east through Asia. There were also other more distant relatives like the Hobbits in Indonesia and geneticists are speculating we had another cousin across northern Europe and Asia. There are likely more yet to be discovered. The oldest continuous human civilization, the bushman of southern Africa, didn't even start for another 10,000 years or so and even that culture is just a memory now. So excuse my maunderings but, 45,000 years is incomprehensibly old! Something to ponder when playing a guitar made of this wood.

Kauri has a very satin like look and feel. It is tightly grained and strong but, fairly light. It makes for a great all around guitar with even response and good note separation. I chose Swiss Spruce to pair with this because it would add a little more sparkle or highlights and it also has great all around response. This combination makes for a very versatile guitar in any size instrument you want.

Like all the pairings I am offering special pricing for this set of woods. I have lot's of ideas how this might be trimmed and imagine this to be an outstanding guitar. You can find more details on the pricing over on the Marketplace Forum: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...09#post5996009

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 PM

So, the question has to be asked.
If an Ancient Kauri falls into a peat bog and there's not a single human on the island, does it make a sound??!!

2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-04-2019, 04:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
So, the question has to be asked.
If an Ancient Kauri falls into a peat bog and there's not a single human on the island, does it make a sound??!!

Well we know no human heard it. I imagine after being stuck in a bog for 45,000 years it has a lot to say. What better way to give it it’s voice than shaping it into a guitar?

Steven Wright
Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Week#9 Curly Redwood and Curly Claro Walnut

Here we are on week#9 of the top ten pairings for guitars I'd like to make. This week it is a selected set of curly figured Redwood:

I love the dark lines in this Redwood. It looks like Koa:

I am pairing this with Claro Walnut. These two woods are fast becoming a classic combination:

Here is a picture of a finished guitar I made with a sister set of this Claro Walnut:

Here is a sound sample of this wood combination on a ​
Piña parlor:

This is a picture of the front of that guitar with a Bloodwood rosette:

If I were making a new version of this guitar with that dark figured Redwood top I think this type of Amboyna burl for the rosette would look great:

I think any of my models would work well with this pairing. It would make for a versatile and responsive guitar. I have another thread going in the Marketplace forum that shows the pricing and credits available if these are bought as a pair: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...68#post6002568

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

WOW!!! That redwood is insane. And the walnut too. And the amboyna burl rosette too. What a combo. That will make an incredibly beautiful guitar, I reckon.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
WOW!!! That redwood is insane. And the walnut too. And the amboyna burl rosette too. What a combo. That will make an incredibly beautiful guitar, I reckon.
Thanks Jamiejoon, I think so too. That finished Redwood/Claro parlor I made as a spec guitar sold before I finished it. I didn’t have it long but, always thought it was one of the better wood combinations I’ve used. Since then as I’ve gotten more Redwood and started making that Amboyna burl rosette my thoughts keep going back to how good they would have looked on that original guitar. Hence my decision to incentivize a build.
Thanks for commenting,
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Smile Redwood/Claro Walnut

More BEAUTIFUL WOODS!!!

What a wood locker you must have...

My Sinker Redwood/figured Claro Walnut RT is a wonderful axe and will be a lifetime keeper if finances allow!

These are all so beautiful it is really difficult to choose a fave, but fun to try!

Have a FUN MONDAY

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
More BEAUTIFUL WOODS!!!

What a wood locker you must have...

My Sinker Redwood/figured Claro Walnut RT is a wonderful axe and will be a lifetime keeper if finances allow!

These are all so beautiful it is really difficult to choose a fave, but fun to try!

Have a FUN MONDAY

Paul
Thanks Paul, I do have a good selection of wood and it's easy for me to get lost in all of the possibilities. In a way picking out ten pairings was a way for me to help organize my thinking about the opportunities waiting.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop