The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Generosity Rag by Toby Walker (Cover)

Had the house to myself much of the weekend, took advantage of the peace and quiet to videotape a few numbers. Most of the effort went into recording a cover of Generosity Rag, Toby Walker's great original rag in drop D:

I learned this from Toby's D Pack -- went right to it as soon as I got the lesson suite (have since learned a couple of others, working through his E and G packs too, will then move on to A and C). Whether you're beginner or expert, Toby's packs will add technique to your toolkit while adding songs to your repertoire. Of all the great instructors I've learned from, Toby is best at addressing my single most critical need -- improvisational techniques.

This was a tough nut to crack. It took three long sessions, probably upwards of a hundred attempts, just to get three complete takes. Of course, the third take, the best of them, I completely butchered the very last phrase, so often the case. The entire closing section was pretty rough and there was that fatal error at the end, so I cut to another take at the 2:14 mark, still a bit ragged (that F# is tough to grab in drop D), but good ending. I prefer to post single unedited takes, but this is the best I'm going to do on video with a piece that requires this much precision...

Dubi

The guitar is a Martin custom HM-28. The cat is a 14-year-old Maine Coon, busy skinning the paper wrapping off a plastic straw right in my sightline for most of the take.

Last edited by BJ9RW; 06-12-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to sign original
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Really enjoyed that, sound like a labour of love to get there in the end. Thanks for posting the video. Well done.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Very nice job, BJ! I enjoyed it! Nice playing, good recording, beautiful guitar!

Thanks for posting!

- Glenn
Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Guest 33123

Excellent Dubi!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell