The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Bob, this is shaping up to be another incredibly tasteful guitar. Congratulations! It reminds me a bit of your Chasson in the details.
I am surprised that anyone even remembers that guitar (build in 2014). It is a 000 sized instrument (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=340666). We were going for a Frank Lloyd Wright theme on that instrument but I see what you mean from afar by Michael's use of thin light colored lines in an Ebony background. Kent's is quite rectilinear and Michael's utilizes curves and arcs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Just Love how the whole package is nicely coming together.
Very tasteful - yet original - ornements.

Can't wait to see that guitar entirely finished.

Best,
Tom
That makes two of us... I will probably post some informal shots soon. Michael and I decided on one final touch yesterday that will take a few weeks but the guitar will remain strung up in the interim so it can be played and adjusted.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Wow, this is beautiful and elegant. LOVE the headstock design. Michael's headstocks are among my favorites.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Bob, both of those Chasson guitars - #99 and #100 - were stunners, and the threads related to them were fascinating. You have wonderful taste. While your Chasson and this Bashkin are very different, I see your influence in both. It's too bad we don't see more Chasson guitars in the Custom Shop, Kent's work is very nice.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Prepare thine self for awesome!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Wow, this is beautiful and elegant. LOVE the headstock design. Michael's headstocks are among my favorites.
Yes, Michael has an exquisite sense of design...

Quote:
Bob, both of those Chasson guitars - #99 and #100 - were stunners, and the threads related to them were fascinating. You have wonderful taste. While your Chasson and this Bashkin are very different, I see your influence in both. It's too bad we don't see more Chasson guitars in the Custom Shop, Kent's work is very nice.
I think that you will begin to see a bit more of Kent’s work here on AGF soon. Kent moved in 2017 and designed and built a beautiful new home and workshop in Bellingham, WA. I understand that he is in his new place and building instruments again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Prepare thine self for awesome!
Can one really prepare one’s self for such an event?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Can one really prepare one’s self for such an event?
Yes, I typically wear my flannel pajamas infused with guitar polish and meditate in front of a life size poster board of the guitar. But that’s just me.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Bob, this is shaping up to be another incredibly tasteful guitar. Congratulations! It reminds me a bit of your Chasson in the details.
I take that as a compliment since I think this guitar and all of Michael's work hits the mark. Tasty and original without being over the top. Congrats, Bob!

And as Bob said, I am back up and running in the new shop and should have some guitar pics soon. But I also started building another house for some friends so it will be awhile before I'm full time again...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 PM

I've been following this thread- because I always follow Bob's threads, because your guitars are always special. You work with such great builders and think I fell in love with the idea of a custom guitar as I followed the Chasson builds from back in the day. It was my introduction to Kent's work, and I later bought a used Chasson on the forum and it's an amazing instrument. I fantasize about another Chasson some day.... or maybe a Bashkin... or maybe any guitar from a builder whom Bob selects for a custom build...

This current build thread (to get me back on topic) has been wonderful. What a beautiful instrument is appearing before our eyes!

beth
Old 08-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yes, I typically wear my flannel pajamas infused with guitar polish and meditate in front of a life size poster board of the guitar. But that’s just me.
I’ll have to keep this approach in mind perhaps with the addition of a safety belt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
I take that as a compliment since I think this guitar and all of Michael's work hits the mark. Tasty and original without being over the top. Congrats, Bob!

And as Bob said, I am back up and running in the new shop and should have some guitar pics soon. But I also started building another house for some friends so it will be awhile before I'm full time again...
Thanks Kent! I look forward to seeing more of your work here on AGF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
I've been following this thread- because I always follow Bob's threads, because your guitars are always special. You work with such great builders and think I fell in love with the idea of a custom guitar as I followed the Chasson builds from back in the day. It was my introduction to Kent's work, and I later bought a used Chasson on the forum and it's an amazing instrument. I fantasize about another Chasson some day.... or maybe a Bashkin... or maybe any guitar from a builder whom Bob selects for a custom build...

This current build thread (to get me back on topic) has been wonderful. What a beautiful instrument is appearing before our eyes!

beth
Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. Kent makes WONDERFUL guitars so I am sure that your guitar is great.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:24 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I am surprised that anyone even remembers that guitar (build in 2014). It is a 000 sized instrument (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=340666). We were going for a Frank Lloyd Wright theme on that instrument but I see what you mean from afar by Michael's use of thin light colored lines in an Ebony background. Kent's is quite rectilinear and Michael's utilizes curves and arcs.

That makes two of us... I will probably post some informal shots soon. Michael and I decided on one final touch yesterday that will take a few weeks but the guitar will remain strung up in the interim so it can be played and adjusted.
I was thinking the same thing. Very cool aesthetics. I love Michael's take on an Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau look.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I've been following your build for a while, looking fantastic, and so close to your first date together! Looking forward to the final photos and a sound clip.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Very cool aesthetics. I love Michael's take on an Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau look.
Yes, Michael has a wonderful, understated sense of form, movement and proportion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
I've been following your build for a while, looking fantastic, and so close to your first date together! Looking forward to the final photos and a sound clip.
I think my first date with this guitar still might be a month out. We are waiting on a case from Jeff Hoffee and one last design touch before its ready to go. Add to that I have a business trip to the Asia. Over that time, Michael can play it and tweak it as necessary.

As a reminder, I have agreed to let Michael exhibit the guitar at the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase (Oct 26-28) for any of you who want to take it for a spin.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Almost There!

So we’re almost there now...

The guitar has been strung up for a few days now and Michael is pleased with how it sounds and plays.... A few things remain: 1) Michael is having some custom bridge pins made with koa dots and 2) we are waiting for Jeff Hoffee to deliver a case for the guitar. Here are some “builder’s bench” photos that Michael was kind enough to share ahead of him taking some more formal shots when it is complete.

Michael’s 00-12 model has an exquisitely elegant plantilla. He normally makes this model with 18-frets but I asked him for 19-frets on this one so he moved the sound hole a small ways towards the waist of the guitar.

Here it is, front and back on his bench. The hue of the koa body and honduran mahogany neck integrate well as do the contrasting African Blackwood bridge, Gaboon Ebony binding/fretboard and Macassar Ebony ornamental head plate. The golden hues of the brass Rodgers tuners and Jescar EVO fret wire complement the warm golden brown hues of the guitar.

The flamed figure in the quartersawn koa speaks for itself under Michael’s nitrocellulose lacquer finish. The photo on the right shows how Michael’s Ebony/Koa/Holly inlays visually tie together between the head plate veneer and the 7th fret position marker now that strings are on.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 PM

Wow, that guitar looks fantastic!! I’m drooling over that Koa, and the bindings, purflings, headstock - what a work of art!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar Michael

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop