The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Thoughts on the Rainsong Smokey SMHX

I'm about an inch away from pulling the trigger on one of these. There are none in my area, so I have not had the chance to play one, but have listened to several YouTube and audio clips and love the sound, and obviously the look. Ted at LAGS has been awesome with answering all my questions and giving me a good idea of what I can expect. But I was curious how owners feel about their smokeys.

I am a little iffy about the satin finish. Does it develop shiny spots from skin contact or greasy spots from fingers resting on the soundboard? In some of the videos I watched it appeared that was the case. Also how do you feel about the barn door electronics? The LR baggs anthem electronics are a very attractive feature, but I'm curious if anyone has had problems with vibration or the barn door latch cracking, this has happened on two of my former guitars.

I am kind of torn between the Smokey and the Shorty right now. Mostly because the shorty can be bought without electronics and with a full gloss finish.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your experience and feel free to show off any photos you have. Thanks!
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 PM

I've played a pair of Rainsongs for about 15 years now (AWS1000, WS3000). They've been my road instruments and recording instruments as well (a bit of a non-sequitur, as they are the only instruments I own!),

I've never played a Smokey, so I can't really comment on the finish, though it would seem to me that yes, it'd acquire the fingerprints and just need a wipe-down now and then.

The electronics, on the other hand - the barn-door control panel on the 12-string is endlessly bashed in from air travel, because the control knobs stick out so far. That's never been an issue with the 6-string because of a slightly different design. Given the L.R. Baggs StagePro Anthem in the Smokeys, though, I highly doubt that would be an issue at all.

I've never had a problem with buzz or cracking or any problem with the pick-ups themselves; just the over-reaching exuberance of airline carriers.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM

I have the Shorty SFT with the Fishman Prefix Plus AND the Smokey SMH with the Baggs Stagepro Element. (I bought the Shorty a year ago because of wrist and thumb problems that caused me to look for the combination of 12-fret neck and short scale, and an OM1000 had already been my go-to guitar for 7 years previously. I bought the Smokey six months ago because I was in Bozeman, MT, and in checking out Music Villa there, I picked up the Smokey, which was the first one I'd seen in real life. Played it for the better part of an hour, in two visits, and said, "Oh, S***, here I go again!")

I think I prefer the Shorty for playing for a relatively quiet gathering in a small room, and for recording. It has slightly more of a traditional, "like a wood guitar" sound. The Smokey is for larger rooms and outdoor gigs. It can clear the room and weaken the building foundations, even unamplified. I'm not sure they needed to put any electronics in it.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Petecady, Thanks for your reply. How do you like the satin finish on the smokey? Is it hard to keep clean?
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I can only comment on the Shorty SFT, never an issue with the barn door, and it has traveled with me a bit in a camper and car, it sounds very good amplified. And the SFT finish has not been an issue for me.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 PM

I'm sorry I can't speak to your finish or barndoor questions.

But I just got an OM Concert with the shorty neck and no electronics, and I could not be happier. You may not want the abalone rosette or shark inlays, but to me they are a big part of Rainsong vibe. And I'd much rather install a passive system that does minimal violence to my baby and doesn't require me to keep (and repeatedly change) a battery inside.

When I was looking at Rainsongs, I played both the Smokey and Shorty, and they are both great-sounding, great-feeling guitars. You won't believe how light they are. And I had no idea (until I asked) that I could get a Concert model with the shorty neck.

The only sonic difference between the my guitar and a shorty is an all-carbon-fiber back and sides versus hybrid. I haven't done an A/B comparison, but there doesn't seem to be much difference in sound to me. But every time I open the case, it makes me smile.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM

I risked the biscuit by buying the SMHX because I have never owned, let alone played, a CF guitar before. I decided to get one based on this forums reviews, YT videos, and Ted. This was all a few months ago.

Since then, I have sold all my guitars and the Smokey is my only guitar. Originally, I intended it to be my travel fingerstyle, but now it's my all-in-one (FS, strum, picking). I record, jam, and play live with it.

Only other RS I have played since I bought the Smokey was a older OM model. Just as impressed with that one as I am with mine. If you play live, the Anthem is worth every penny!

I will never hesitate to buy a RS in the future, I can not recommend this guitar enough.

Side note: At first I was really worried about all the cosmetic upkeep like glares and scratches on the body and having to clean up after every use. Now, I just don't care, more time cleaning = less time playing! I just give it a quick clean when I change the strings. So far, no scratches or glares!

Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I risked the biscuit by buying the SMHX because I have never owned, let alone played, a CF guitar before. I decided to get one based on this forums reviews, YT videos, and Ted. This was all a few months ago.
Since then, I have sold all my guitars and the Smokey is my only guitar. Originally, I intended it to be my travel fingerstyle, but now it's my all-in-one (FS, strum, picking). I record, jam, and play live with it.
Only other RS I have played since I bought the Smokey was a older OM model. Just as impressed with that one as I am with mine. If you play live, the Anthem is worth every penny!
I will never hesitate to buy a RS in the future, I can not recommend this guitar enough.
Side note: At first I was really worried about all the cosmetic upkeep like glares and scratches on the body and having to clean up after every use. Now, I just don't care, more time cleaning = less time playing! I just give it a quick clean when I change the strings. So far, no scratches or glares!
A guitar you can give a good cleaning with Windex without fear of damage is pretty cool. Especially with all the different scents Windex has these days.
The fact is They are just great guitars with great potential.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 AM

Love my SMH!
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber