The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Default New guy help...CF choices

Hi,

I'm totally new to the world of guitars, but I have long wanted to learn to play. (I'm mid forties and finally have the $$ and time now that the kids are out of the house... lol)

I have done a bunch of research and have listened to bunch of guitars... Not being a player this is tricky LOL. And watched video reviews, and while I love a good sold wood guitar, its really hard to justify the cost of wood when I live in a house with large humidity and temperature swings. Its older, poorly insulated, and not air conditioned, and its heated with wood, so temperatures range from over 100F and 100% humidity in the summer and 55F and 25% humidity at night in the winter. I'm afraid that a wood guitar will be more work than pleasure, and I will be afraid of it suffering irreparable damage.

Based on this I thought a CF guitar might be the right choice. I have up to $1000 US ($1400 Cdn) to spend.

Which of the CF guitars out there would be a good choice., so far I'm leaning towards a CA as their sound seems more balanced than the Rainsongs. I intend to have this guitar for a long time, so that's why I'm not interested in buying a $200 "starter guitar". Oh also forgot to mention I prefer fingerstyle playing so that is how I will be learning.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 AM

I don't think there are any CA guitars in your price range.

The only two I can think of are Emerald, the X5 and X7. Both are under $1000 shipped.

Journey's OF660 is slightly higher at $1100.

Since carbon fiber is pretty unchangeable, you also have the option of looking in the For Sale section here at AGF and eBay and you might find what you want for sale there under $1000.

Rainsong, CA, and Blackbird have nothing new under $1000 that I'm aware of. Even used under $1000 will be difficult to find, I think.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 AM

Thank you for the guidance, and suggestions.

I was expecting to have to hunt for it used... heck here in Canada, you have to hunt for it regardless... But yes I used is where I was expecting to be, so it will be older. I just put the budget in so I dond't get people suggesting $5000 guitars... I have some stretch room, especially as the time looking takes longer.

So far I have seen ads for CA Cargo, a CA OX raw, a CA legacy, a Rainsong Shortly SG, and a Rainsong AWS100 all used in my price range. I'm sure this will change with time but I feel I can find the right one with some patience. Anythings I should watch or check for?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:17 AM

If you aren't in a hurry, you can find a used one. Guitar center is a place you could search their used inventory.
A friend of mine saw a Rainsong there last month for around $900
Check the advertisers here as well.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM

I'm also wondering about if there are characteristics of individual makes or models that would make them easier or more difficult to play? should I be looking at the travel size guitars at all?

Or just the full size? Or is it entirely my preference and either will be equally suitable for me to learn on?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I have a Rainsong OM-sized guitar. It is incredibly comfortable to play. For reference, I'm about 5' 5" tall and very trim.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 PM

Where in Canada? I recently saw a used CA GX in Calgary in Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). Used CF do show up now and again
Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 PM

A really good option is to email Alistair at Emerald guitars and ask if he has any seconds that he is selling. He does this occasionally and you could get even an X20 for close to your target price shipped to you direct from Ireland. It's an amazing guitar and I think he's the most likely to cut you a deal and work to find the best guitar for your needs in the CF world.

Another option is to get a baritone ukulele which has the same top four strings (DGBE) as a guitar, but is easier on the fingers than a steel string and you can snag a really good one for under 2 or 3 hundred. Only problem is that I don't know of any CF bari ukes and the Blackbird Clara is pricey.

A third option is to just get a regular mid range guitar with the expectation that it might not be playable in a few years. I picked up an Ibanez 20 years ago that I have taken to several continents and left and played in rain and snow and it still plays great. I doubt a more delicate high end guitar would have survived those conditions as well.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 AM

Thank you for your responses.

I'm very excited about this adventure. I've already been watching instruction videos... lol...

I'm in Belleville, Ontario, and have been looking at Kijiji ads. Found a Rainsong Shorty SG that might be negotiated to my budget. The seller says the action is "slightly lower than normal". is this an area of concern for these guitars? What else should I ask. check on?

Also thank you for the suggestion to try for seconds at Emerald. I have sent an email off... Now I just have to wait.

.... so hard to be patient...
Old 01-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapt_up View Post
Thank you for your responses.

I'm very excited about this adventure. I've already been watching instruction videos... lol...

I'm in Belleville, Ontario, and have been looking at Kijiji ads. Found a Rainsong Shorty SG that might be negotiated to my budget. The seller says the action is "slightly lower than normal". is this an area of concern for these guitars? What else should I ask. check on?

Also thank you for the suggestion to try for seconds at Emerald. I have sent an email off... Now I just have to wait.

.... so hard to be patient...
Plenty of Shorty advocates here, myself being one. If the action on that guitar is lower than normal, that could be a really good thing! As long as there is no buzzing, but saddle and truss rod adjustments are always a possibility with these guitars. I would at least try to play it. You might just take it home.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Plenty of Shorty advocates here, myself being one. If the action on that guitar is lower than normal, that could be a really good thing! As long as there is no buzzing, but saddle and truss rod adjustments are always a possibility with these guitars. I would at least try to play it. You might just take it home.
Thank you for clarifying that truss rod adjustment is possible with this guitar. I know some Carbon Guitars don't have that, so that's another good thing about this one.
I will try to arrange a time to try this one out.

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 AM

Default I did it!

I managed to close the deal on a Rainsong Shorty. It came with the Rainsong hard case. ... And it beautiful, the pictures on the web don't do justice to the unidirectional CF top. And even with the reports of how loud they are I was unprepared for it.

Very pleased.

Thanks for all the help here.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
I managed to close the deal on a Rainsong Shorty. It came with the Rainsong hard case. ... And it beautiful, the pictures on the web don't do justice to the unidirectional CF top. And even with the reports of how loud they are I was unprepared for it.

Very pleased.

You did yourself a fine job.
Congratulations
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Very pleased.

Congrats! The Shorty is a fine guitar - it should give you countless hours (years) of enjoyment.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Very pleased.

Congrats, it would have been at the top of my recommendation list given your requirements, except for the price of course. Glad you were able to make it happen, and welcome to the club.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber